Notices

Old 17 Sep 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by disneymike View Post
Did anyone actually read the linked article?

It doesn’t say they’re definitely retaining the status quo at all, it says they’ve not yet said if they’re adopting the new English system. The quoted spokesperson says they’d like to maintain a 4 nations approach and will be considering alignment with the UK government. They’ve thrown a bit of shade to Westminster in there too about how they think the testing was important, but they’ll be under no illusion they’ll need to go with the flow.

I.e. They’ll wait 2 days and follow suit, as usual.
Hope you're right. But I didn't see any mention of that in the article. Looked like a done deal the way it is written.
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

All the news sites are reporting that Scotland have retained the current tests - nothing at all about considering it.

Edited at 01:35 PM.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymike
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
All the news sites are reporting that Scotland have retained the current tests - nothing at all about cotillion considering it.
The media are certainly putting that slant on it, but they’re all quoting the same SG statement, and just augmenting it with their own spin. Far from ‘nothing at all’, there are also 2 direct mentions of them wanting to consider the risks/implications of aligning with the UK government and wanting to continue on a 4 nations basis:

A UK Government decision to implement proposals to remove the requirement for a pre-departure test in England and to use lateral flow tests on day two have not been adopted at this stage in Scotland due to significant concerns at the impact on public health.

The testing of international travellers, both before and after travel, is an important part of our border health surveillance to minimise the risk of importing variants of concern.

The Scottish Government aims to maintain a four nations approach to international travel restrictions, but will need to carefully consider the risks associated with aligning with the UK Government.

…we have concerns that the UK Government’s proposals to remove the requirement for a pre-departure test for some travellers will weaken our ability to protect the public health of Scotland’s communities. While we want to maintain a four nations approach to these matters, we need to consider urgently their implications.”
All that actually says is they’ve not been adopted ‘at this stage’. Well they’re not being adopted in England until the 4th either, they have more than 2 weeks to decide to adopt them before that.

Like I say, few days to make it look like they’re making their own decision, that they’ve thought about it and Nicola will announce the alignment in her next briefing. They’re well aware they have no other option, but can’t let it appear that they’re just being dictated to.

Edited at 09:35 PM.
disneymike is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
quartergill
VIP Dibber

quartergill's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It is not definitive as yet but Jason Leitch’s comment that they would like to keep the PCR test to detect new variants begs the question of at what point would the Scottish Government feel it it safe to move to lateral flow? His reasoning suggests a long way down the road as this Coronavirus ain’t going away anytime soon.
quartergill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
The Muppets
Very Serious Dibber

When are Scottish October holidays ? 9 Oct / 15 Oct ?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Scottish Government waits until the half term holiday is over or under way then align with Westminster.
The Muppets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Kcstyle
Excited about Disney

Fuming! She better sort this out before the kids holidays!

She's not doing the best job looking at andys weekly update... Visiting England it does make me feel we are living under a dictatorship... She's not really representing the people...
Kcstyle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
The Muppets
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
So how does it work if your first stop on the way home is an English airport?
You follow the English rules as the questions on the PLF ask about your 1st point of entry into the UK.
The Muppets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
amberspy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LoopyLoo07 View Post
Why am I not surprised! I hope this changes as I live in Newcastle but I have two holidays booked next year flying from Edinburgh.. and I’m guessing this would mean I would need to do the pre departure test? Which is what makes me not want to travel at the minute!

No as you actually live in England you go by England rules 👍
I’m opposite from you live in Scotland but flying from Newcastle but got told I follow Scotland rules 🤷🏼
amberspy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
The Muppets
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by amberspy View Post
No as you actually live in England you go by England rules 👍
I’m opposite from you live in Scotland but flying from Newcastle but got told I follow Scotland rules 🤷🏼
I live in Scotland but have followed English rules for the past few months as I fly via London.
England has been my first point of entry into the UK so that’s what I fill in my PLF, your address is not an issue.
Many BA flyers have been doing the same for months.

I’m sure the Scottish government will have to relent as there are so many ways round the system.
Flying via London, Manchester, Newcastle, buying the cheapest £20 PCR and not turning up, reusing codes etc.

As Scottish covid rates are some of the highest in Europe I’m more concerned other countries don’t put us on their red list than the new rules.
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
Imagineer

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by The Muppets View Post
When are Scottish October holidays ? 9 Oct / 15 Oct ?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Scottish Government waits until the half term holiday is over or under way then align with Westminster.
We finish on the 15th.

Quite possibly, not sure I’d be shocked by that either.