Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 20 Sep 17, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

The Farewell to Wishes & Twenties Tour - May 2017 - Day 9: Epcot EMH & More Shopping

The Index

Day 8 - Wednesday 17 May: Disney Springs Shopping & Hollywood Studios

Day 9 - Thursday 18 May: Epcot EMH & More Shopping

Originally today’s plan had been a slightly later start, then breakfast at 9.55am at the Garden Grille at Epcot. However, with it being Epcot EMH Rich suggested we make the most of it and get there for EMH again.

Whilst it had seemed a great idea the night before, when the alarm went off at 6.30 it wasn’t particularly appreciated! We were reaching that point in the holiday where you could really do with a lie in Rich was wide awake but it took me another 15 minutes to finally decide to get out of bed.

We faffed around for a while and left just after 7.30am assuming we’d now end up missing rope drop at 8am, however somehow we made it and at 7.57am as we walked through the turnstiles we saw them let the crowds loose so that was certainly well timed!

Some quick walking saw us at Soarin’ as they opened it and despite the queue being out of the door it wasn’t long before we had walked through and were lucky to get assigned the front row on the left, which were great seats. I’m glad we re-rode as I smelt so many more things this time than our first ride.

Rich decided he wanted to do test track again so we wondered over there and at 8.30 it was only showing as a 10 minute wait, he went through the single rider line again and I headed to Mouse Gear to buy some silver ears I’d been eyeing up. I’d forgotten how expensive they are - $26! But they are really cute.

I met Rich in the area just after the ride with all the cars and he said the inside bit with the screens hadn’t been working but he still enjoyed it, the outside bit is our favourite part anyway. We had a quick nosy round the huge cars afterwards and couldn’t believe how cheap they seemed compared with similar models here.

Now, up next was our first ride on Ellen. We had heard it may be closing (which we all now know was confirmed to be right!) so wanted to have been on it at least once. But there was a big sign up saying it wasn’t opening until 9.30, so we had a walk round and took some pictures of the fab topiaries instead.

We were at a bit of a loss what to do now so Rich suggested we go and see what the Anna and Elsa wait was as I’d been wanting to meet them so we walked into the World Showcase up to Norway. Wow that was a hot and sweaty walk! When we got there it was at 45 minutes which we decided was too long for us given we had breakfast at 9.55am.

Change of plan, instead we’d try and see if we could get into breakfast earlier that our ADR time. We were 30 minutes early by the time we’d reached the Land Pavilion but they were happy to seat us and after a few minutes of buzzer holding we were in!

This was our first trip here but I’d watched lots of vlogs on it and was really excited to be shown to a booth on the lower level, rather than a table on the upper. Our server was also called Michelle and was happy to get us started with orange juice and a coffee for me. She was a really good server throughout and kept our drinks topped up, although the OJ was huge already!

The skillet came our a while later which had lots of food on it and yay – Mickey waffles! I had 2 of these with maple syrup and bacon and they were delicious! The potato tot type things were also very good, and Rich enjoyed the eggs and sausages. We were both really impressed and the best was yet to come...

The cinnamon roll!

One of the reasons I’d booked breakfast (seriously)! This was accompanied by a bowl of fruit. The roll was everything I’d hoped for very soft and gooey in the middle and we managed most of it (I’d have totally finished it if Richard hadn’t been reminding me about how much food we’d already eaten).

As well as all of the food we got to meet the characters which is a big part of the breakfast. We were there an hour and wasn’t rushed at all, which was enough time for one full rotation of the living with the land scenes and we met Farmer Mickey 3 times, Chip and Dale and Pluto. None of the interactions blew us away and were relatively quick, but I had a decent rock/paper/scissors battle with Mickey. They were interacting a lot more with the kids around us as you’d imagine really, but I had expected Chip and Dale to be a little cheekier so that was a bit of a shame. Irrespective we loved it and would certainly go back.

I was also surprised at the end with a piece of chocolate cake and a card signed by all the characters for my birthday which was a nice touch. I couldn’t eat more than a mouthful of the cake though I was that full!

Paying up it was $68 plus tip (gulp!), gosh that’s when you miss the dining plan! But our only character meal of the trip so well worth it to us. Richard still prefers Crystal Palace and I want to try Tusker House next so we’ll reserve judgement on the best breakfast until then!

Back into the sunshine at 10.30am it was really hotting up! We wanted to let our food digest so made our way back to Ellen. Only a few minutes wait until the next showing which was perfect timing.

We headed in to the front row on the right of the ride and sat through her education on energy. It was ok and whilst we are glad we have done it, are pleased to see its being turned into something new.

Done now with that part of Epcot we headed back into the World Showcase starting with Mexico. A welcome cool down on the Three Caballeros ride.

Next up was Norway in time for our Frozen Ever After fastpass. So glad we had a fastpass as it was bussssy in there and really stuffy. We queued for about 10 minutes and and was rewarded with the front row. We really like what they’ve done to the ride and was pleasantly surprised. We even got a little wet on the small drop.

Up next was China and we had our first look round the shop as I'd seen it on so many vlogs but mostly to make the most of the air conditioning.

Same with Germany, although this is one of our favourite countries for the little christmas shop there. I fell in love with the baubles on this tree but they were really expensive and made of delicate glass so with a baby on the way it didn't seem like the best of ideas

Italy was another air conditioned stop off where we watched a mime in action from the doorway of the shop and then had a few photo pass piccies.

Then we found ourselves in the USA perfectly timed for the 1.05am Voices of Liberty show. I sat on the floor where they recommend you sit and Rich perched himself on a nearby bench. We had seen them perform their Christmas tunes in 2012 and loved it but the timings hadn't worked out on our last trip. They were just as good today as well and with only being 15 minutes is well worth pencilling in.

After the USA we just walked through the rest of the countries stopping for the occasional photo. We were feeling the heat now and the pool was calling us. Although I did make an exception by stopping for an Alice meet and greet in the UK which only had a short queue.

Passing through Future World we stopped again at Club Cool to have a small fizzy drink and then headed out. Not before stopping for a photo pass at the front of the park which won’t be getting shared as the VERY close angle they took it at makes us look HUGE! Lol.

We couldn’t quite remember where we had parked the car this morning as we’d been in a rush for rope drop so walked in the general direction then had to use the alarm beepy thing to locate it, luckily we weren’t too far off.

A 10 minute drive back to SSR and we stopped off at the gift shop to pick up our three packages from our Disney Springs shopping trip the day before. Richard also picked up a Saratoga springs beer glass I’d previously seen and knew he’d like.

Once back at the room I checked the packages had all arrived safely and Richard sorted some washing, which we always found useful to do whilst we were at the pool. After all of those little delays it was 3pm by the time we made it to the pool but still a toasty 32 degrees.

We had a lovely 2 hours there, even venturing into the pool this time and Richard got through 4 loads of washing! All sorted ahead of our move to Miami in a couple of days time.

Around 6pm we were showered and ready to head back out, with Mall at Millenia our chosen destination. It took us around 20 minutes to get there and was as lovely and quiet as we remembered it.

This was only to be a short trip so we went straight to Bath and Body Works (I’d had a voucher come through overnight for $10 off a $30 spend) and the girls there kindly said I could use it as many times as I like so splitting our purchases into $30 bundles we picked up 3 candles, 2 shower gels, 1 deodorant, 2 black cherry hand creams, 6 hand lotions (6 for $24). This came to $92 but we’d worked it by splitting the bundles well $22 worth of items only cost $2.50 so it was well worth it. Gosh we love the black cherry and we are so sad we didn’t buy even more now we’re home!

Unfortunately all of these purchases meant Rich had a very heavy bag to carry round with him, but he managed gallantly

Mac was up next where I replaced one of my favourite blushers, which was $24.

And then up Tiffany! As it was my thirtieth birthday in a couple of days Richard had wanted to buy me something special, however the trip itself had been my present so I wasn’t too concerned with spending a lot and if we couldn’t find anything in budget I was happy not to have anything, as sweet as the gesture was.

When we walked in the guy greeting recognised my necklace was from there and offered to clean it, and then did the same thing with my wedding rings. I’d read they offer this service so took them up on the offer as it would only be a few minutes. In the meantime I browsed around the cabinets looking for something to catch my eye (that wasn't uber expensive), the woman working there lost interest in us pretty quickly after hearing my budget, so we left not long after but with some clean old jewellery!

We popped into Hollister next, as Rich usually picks up some bargains here, but they didn’t have anything of interest. Although I managed to pick up a long sleeved tee for $9.99 and a shirt for $14.99 in the clearance section.

Having done everything we wanted to we left at 8pm as planned and headed back to Lake Buena Vista to Millers there. This was our first time here as we’d always been to the Millers on I-drive and always had a fun time with good food and drinks. Rich ordered a Sierra Nevada beer, then later a Founders IPA, both of which he enjoyed. I was on the water! We didn’t think the offers here seemed as good as they were at the other Millers, or perhaps they are and they’ve just all changed.

I really fancied the fajitas and Rich ordered the 12 oz. choice prime rib steak which was on the daily offer for $14.99. We waited a while and unfortunately when they came they were completely cold. After struggling to get the waiters attention we finally did and he apologised and took them back. Around 20 minutes later they still hadn’t arrived so we asked to speak to the manager who came over and explained they had ‘problems’ in the kitchen that night but he’d prioritise ours. He did but it didn’t help as they were just as cold the second time, Richard’s steak in particular still felt chilled! The manager came back over and simply said there’s nothing he could do, do we want to order anything else. As we’d been there for almost 90 minutes at this point we were too annoyed to both and risk it being cold so we simply said we wanted to go. He offered to comp Richard’s two beers and said if we could come again the meal would be on him, we explained we wouldn’t have time to come back but we’d already decided we wouldn’t be anyway. We’ll stick with I-drive in the future as we’d never had a problem there.

Here's what we could have had!

Funnily enough one of my work colleagues visited there around a fortnight after us and had the exact same experience! Definitely one to avoid going forward for us.

Given it was pretty late by now we ended up going back to SSR and just having cereal for dinner that we had in. I couldn’t help be disappointed at what a wasted food opportunity it had been, particularly when we could have eaten at the Cheesecake Factory too. So a bit of a pants end to a fun day, but at least Breakfast had been successful
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
debsym62
Imagineer

debsym62's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sounds like a good day apart form Millers. Think I will avoid that one, we are staying nearby this year so good to know to avoid it.
debsym62 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Another fab day, Epcot is so beautiful during Flower and Garden, so many gorgeous photos!

The breakfast at garden Grille looked delicious, a little pricey but after seeing that cinnamon roll I reckon totally worth it!

Such a shame you had such a bad experience at Millers. We have never been there but will know to avoid this particular one in the future!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
macchu picchu
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Lovely photos of Epcot - my favourite park. Never done breakfast at Garden Grill - just dinner, but the roll looked fab! We're also not a fan of Millers, having had a similar experience to you.
macchu picchu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh no what a rubbish experience at Millers, defo one to avoid! At least you had that yummy breakfast, looks fab xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Flower and garden is my absolute favourite, such lovely photos you took of it.

Sounds like millers is one to avoid, it should have been hot when first brought out but especially terrible that they couldn’t get it right on the second try!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Oh what a rubbish end to the day! Cold food is unacceptable - particularly when they've had two chances!

I love all the topiary photos - Flower and Garden is such a lovely time of year to visit

I'd love to go to Garden Grill for breakfast (it was originally in the plans for our trip this year) but Ainge hates cinnamon rolls and it was basically my reason for booking it. Boooooo! xx
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

You can actually tell from the picture that Rich's steak is cold! I clocked that Miller's this year and we thinking of giving it a go but we'll also stick to International Drive.

Gorgeous pictures from Epcot today, I would really love to visit during Flower & Garden.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 17, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by debsym62 View Post
Sounds like a good day apart form Millers. Think I will avoid that one, we are staying nearby this year so good to know to avoid it.
Its such a shame as its sooo close to Disney but we'd only go back to the I-Drive one now

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Another fab day, Epcot is so beautiful during Flower and Garden, so many gorgeous photos!

The breakfast at garden Grille looked delicious, a little pricey but after seeing that cinnamon roll I reckon totally worth it!

Such a shame you had such a bad experience at Millers. We have never been there but will know to avoid this particular one in the future!
Oh it is so worth it, even Rich thought so which I think is high praise but he does like a good character buffet!

I'd really recommend the Idrive one, we've never had a bad meal there. Its usual pretty simple food but tasty and reasonable!

Originally Posted by macchu picchu View Post
Lovely photos of Epcot - my favourite park. Never done breakfast at Garden Grill - just dinner, but the roll looked fab! We're also not a fan of Millers, having had a similar experience to you.
Thank you Macchu Picchu (my friends have just posted some photos from their trip there recently haha), I'd really recommend breakfast if you like a cinnamon roll for sure. The dessert at dinner has never looked amazing to me which is why we picked breakfast this time. Give Millers a go on I-drive, I'd really recommend that one!

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Oh no what a rubbish experience at Millers, defo one to avoid! At least you had that yummy breakfast, looks fab xx
Oh I wish I could just eat that cinnamon roll now Emily it was fab xx

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Flower and garden is my absolute favourite, such lovely photos you took of it.

Sounds like millers is one to avoid, it should have been hot when first brought out but especially terrible that they couldn’t get it right on the second try!
Aw thank you very much, its hard not to look amazing in photos when its so pretty

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Oh what a rubbish end to the day! Cold food is unacceptable - particularly when they've had two chances!

I love all the topiary photos - Flower and Garden is such a lovely time of year to visit

I'd love to go to Garden Grill for breakfast (it was originally in the plans for our trip this year) but Ainge hates cinnamon rolls and it was basically my reason for booking it. Boooooo! xx
I'd recommend it even more then so you could have the roll all to yourself (thats what I'd do if I could)! Lol.

Thanks for reading and commenting as always sweets xx

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
You can actually tell from the picture that Rich's steak is cold! I clocked that Miller's this year and we thinking of giving it a go but we'll also stick to International Drive.

Gorgeous pictures from Epcot today, I would really love to visit during Flower & Garden.
Yes most definitely try the I-drive! And yes to flower and garden its soooooo pretty
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
I think we need to try the breakfast at Garden Grill next time as it looks so good. Shame the characters weren't as interactive with you, probably next time they will be

You do like to shop don't you

Another lovely day xx
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List