Notices

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jul 21, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

More than half of hospitalisations for Covid are found after admission

Now I’m not making any judgement on this as they’re still in hospital but it seems that 54% of Covid cases in the hospital figures are from tests performed after admission. Now I assume most of these are from infections prior to admittance just picked up in hospital but some will be from nosocomial infections.

Really wish there was a distinction between those hospitalised due to being poorly and those asymptomatic carriers picked up in routine testing s whilst in hospital for other things - would make figures far less scary

lisa12000___ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Andy
Imagineer

I'm not shocked.
Mr Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Can’t imagine anyone being shocked by that finding really.

WDW 1991, 1993, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2016, 2017
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 05:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Nanna Frozen
Imagineer

The government lying? Nooooooooo.

This was brought up at PM questions a few weeks ago, they said they are going to start differentiating between ‘admitted with’ and admitted with something else and then incidental finding of Covid.

I suppose some people could catch Covid in hospital and still become seriously ill and die of it. I know someone who broke his ankle, was fit and healthy 70 year old, caught Covid in hospital and died a few weeks later of Covid.

Edited at 05:40 AM.
Nanna Frozen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 06:21 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lisa12000___ View Post
Now I’m not making any judgement on this as they’re still in hospital but it seems that 54% of Covid cases in the hospital figures are from tests performed after admission. Now I assume most of these are from infections prior to admittance just picked up in hospital but some will be from nosocomial infections.

Really wish there was a distinction between those hospitalised due to being poorly and those asymptomatic carriers picked up in routine testing s whilst in hospital for other things - would make figures far less scary

I have long thought there needs to be separate numbers for aysmptomatic and symptomatic infections. It would give the real picture of how many are actually sick.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

Looking at the info, you're quite right to assume most were from infections just prior to admissions.
43% tested positive in the 48 hours after admissions - and people don't go from exposure to infection to testing positive in 48 hours, so those were certainly infected prior to hospitalisation.

A maximum of 13% could have been infected in hospital (but a chunk of those would have been infected outside of hospital).

We also don't know what proportion of them came to hospital because they were experiencing symptoms rather than going for a test first. I know that if one of my family was having difficulty getting enough oxygen, for example, I wouldn't mess around booking in for a test somewhere; they'd be down the hospital. They could get diagnosed there.
Andy C is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

this has always been an issue as many are not in hospital because of covid.
do the government calculate like this to keep people at home etc as it makes us look bad.
If they reviewed the direct deaths from covid the number would be lower (still not good of course) and we would possible be able to travel abroad
Old 27 Jul 21, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I’m sure I read somewhere that in some cases those of us with underlying conditions are admitted due to our conditions and covid is found to be positive after admission but the underlying condition had reacted to the covid infection without the person knowing they had covid, if that makes sense. I know in my case my condition in the past has ended up with my being seriously unwell in hospital and blood tests detected an infection which would be why my condition had required hospital treatment, but I’d originally been admitted for my condition.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Heard this on Jeremy Vine earlier

50% of those with Covid in hospital contracted it in hospital
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Most people have to be tested before they are admitted . My sister in law is one of those that tests pre op patients . It doesn’t surprise me as a lot of infections are caught in hospital . My father in law got MRSA in hospital. He was never the same. I can remember the scary headlines of flesh eating bug evades all treatment ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread