Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Dec 16, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Paris to italy by train

I know it a very long journey but any one done it .
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 16, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We have done Pisa to Nice (with a change at Genoa). It took 5 and a half hours and was a beautiful journey with lots of interesting scenery. From Nice it would be several more hours, perhaps via Marseille Avignon & Lyons to Paris, maybe it would be a sleeper. I don't think there was a buffet car or trolley, but we had food with us.
Old 8 Dec 16, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

a colleague did London to Barcelona and Seville and Madrid.
she said it was very good, wifi, food, comfy trains and didn't take that long.
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 16, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
No, but next year we are planning on going from DLP to Barcelona by train before our DCL cruise.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 16, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Travellingbhoy
Gone all Goofy

Have a look at the Man in Seat 61 website, and he will explain how to do the trip. We did the Paris to Munich trip a few years ago using the information from his site, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Travellingbhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 16, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks all
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 16, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
I know it a very long journey but any one done it .
Many years ago DH and I travelled by train to Viagreggio, it was a sleeper cabin so you were with 4 other passengers and the seats were pulled down by train staff at bedtime.
Our seats were reserved both ways but coming back the train had started at Naples and when we got on at Viagreggio an italian family were in our compartment, they refused to move for almost an hour saying that they did not understand what we were saying ( one of our group was half italian so it was not a language problem) and train staff were not helpful, eventually they moved, but we had to stand in a narrow corridor with our suitcases for that time, I said I would never do it again (even though the train fare was free for us as DH worked on the railway). As this was in the early 80's I hope things have improved since then.

Edited at 11:50 AM.
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 16, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by TillySmith View Post
Many years ago DH and I travelled by train to Viagreggio, it was a sleeper cabin so you were with 4 other passengers and the seats were pulled down by train staff at bedtime.
Our seats were reserved both ways but coming back the train had started at Naples and when we got on at Viagreggio an italian family were in our compartment, they refused to move for almost an hour saying that they did not understand what we were saying ( one of our group was half italian so it was not a language problem) and train staff were not helpful, eventually they moved, but we had to stand in a narrow corridor with our suitcases for that time, I said I would never do it again (even though the train fare was free for us as DH worked on the railway). As this was in the early 80's I hope things have improved since then.
Not a good thing to happen :angry: thanks for your comments
Old 9 Dec 16, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, we've done it twice. The first time in 2013 we got the overnight train from Paris to Rimini and the same on the way back, stopping at DLP for a couple of nights. Then we did again in 2015 - Paris to Munich, 2 nights in Munich which was nice then train from Munich to Venice, where the scenery was lovely, and on the way back the sleeper train from Venice to Paris.

There was me, DH and DS who was 13 the first time and DD who was 12. We had a carriage for 4 which was standard class as they didn't do first for 4 people. It was OK, not the most comfortable if I'm honest as no ensuite toilet or shower. They supplied covers and pillows the first time but the second time there were no pillows (obviously cut down).

You could go to the restaurant car and get hot food but it was nothing luxurious - plastic knives and forks sort of thing. It would have been nice to sit back and enjoy a really nice meal and a bottle of wine.

I probably wouldn't do it again now unless I could go on a route that had cabins with private facilities. Saying that, we really did have a laugh. There were cabins that slept 6 people and there were people getting on having to share with people they didn't know. The last time we went I think there was some mix up with the cabin next to us as there were people queuing in the corridor to get in - DD and I were killing ourselves laughing - we couldn't believe that some people would share with random people they didn't know!
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 16, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread