Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 29 Dec 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Grumpy&Happy
Imagineer

Mauritius

Hi there

I’d really appreciate any experiences people have of Mauritius.

We’ve booked to go in March through BA who have been really disappointing and I’ve read a few things about the weather and now the man who drowned whilst snorkeling and I’m getting a bit nervous.

Thought it was a good idea to try somewhere new, now I’m not so sure.

Thanks
Old 29 Dec 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Grumpy&Happy View Post
Hi there

I’d really appreciate any experiences people have of Mauritius.

We’ve booked to go in March through BA who have been really disappointing and I’ve read a few things about the weather and now the man who drowned whilst snorkeling and I’m getting a bit nervous.

Thought it was a good idea to try somewhere new, now I’m not so sure.

Thanks
Did Mauritius a few years ago and tried to get our on staff travel a couple of years back unsuccessfully due to flights being full. Would go back in a heartbeat, lovely island with friendly locals.

We hired a car and that was a good decision for us. Where on the island are you staying?
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Grumpy&Happy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Did Mauritius a few years ago and tried to get our on staff travel a couple of years back unsuccessfully due to flights being full. Would go back in a heartbeat, lovely island with friendly locals.

We hired a car and that was a good decision for us. Where on the island are you staying?
Ooo, that sounds good.

We’re staying at Preskil Island Resort, which is south-east, near Mahebourg.
Old 29 Dec 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

My wife won our Honeymoon to Mauritius some years ago and we stayed at a place called Le Tousserok (where Andrew and Fergie honeymooned). The Hotel was fabulous.

More importantly, the Island was large enough to give you plenty to do, very lush and green and beautifully hot. The people out and about were educated, very friendly and very helpful. We absolutely loved the place and particularly its history. I would return in a heartbeat, although regrettably not to Le Tousserok.

The Island is surrounded by a reef that was around a mile off shore. Whilst I (was) an extremely strong swimmer and could manage it with ease (the fish on the reef were wonderful), it may well have been beyond the reach of many. We experienced no currents at all. I got the feeling that only a very weak or over adventurous swimmer could get into trouble (other than by treading on numerous Sea Urchins).

The weather was beautiful, but it is worth remembering that you are near the equator.. you should get an average of 26’ in March and you are just at the end of the Cyclone Season.

Once we got out and about, everything was extremely good value.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:06 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Grumpy&Happy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
My wife won our Honeymoon to Mauritius some years ago and we stayed at a place called Le Tousserok (where Andrew and Fergie honeymooned). The Hotel was fabulous.

More importantly, the Island was large enough to give you plenty to do, very lush and green and beautifully hot. The people out and about were educated, very friendly and very helpful. We absolutely loved the place and particularly its history. I would return in a heartbeat, although regrettably not to Le Tousserok.

The Island is surrounded by a reef that was around a mile off shore. Whilst I (was) an extremely strong swimmer and could manage it with ease (the fish on the reef were wonderful), it may well have been beyond the reach of many. We experienced no currents at all. I got the feeling that only a very weak or over adventurous swimmer could get into trouble (other than by treading on numerous Sea Urchins).

The weather was beautiful, but it is worth remembering that you are near the equator.. you should get an average of 26’ in March and you are just at the end of the Cyclone Season.

Once we got out and about, everything was extremely good value.
Oh wow, what an amazing experience. Thank you so much it sounds great and has really put my mind at rest.
Old 2 Jan 20, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFi
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve been twice. Once to Trou aux Biches and once to Belle Mare. We had a fantastic time both times. Lovely friendly people, beautiful beaches and gorgeous weather.
FloridaFi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 20, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’ve been a couple of times and absolutely love it (also stayed at Le Tousserok too Cornishfrogboy - beautiful isn’t it). Natural coral surrounds the island so it’s perfect for diving and snorkelling. I have read about the strong currents but like most things, if you follow the advice and guides you will be fine. I will definitely go back one day - I went to the Maldives a year or so afterwards and was so disappointed after having been to Mauritius. On both occasions we stopped in South Africa for a week before going onto Mauritius and it was a great 2 centre option.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
brindle
Imagineer

We went for the first time in 2018 and it was great. Same as you wanted to try somewhere different,we stopped over in dubai for 3bights then a week in Mauritius, lovely island, snorkelling was good,beach was beautiful, we were in the outrigger hotel ,really enjoyed it. Dh was worried about the food but it was fabulous.
You will have a fab time.
I have been looking at the Maldives and I think it is the not knowing that is stopping me booking ,lol.
Terre Verde Resort April 2008+ April 2010
Florida Keys July 2009
brindle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Ooo, that sounds good.

The beach at the Preskil is quite sheltered and the accommodation well spread out - I quite liked it on a visit.

Have stayed at Le Tousserok (before it was taken over by Shangri-La) and loved it especially the trips over to Ile au Cerf. Also stayed at the Four Seasons Anihita which I really liked.

What has been disappointing with BA that you mentioned?
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Ooo, that sounds good.

Some sad news coming out of Mauritius - the Preskil is threatened by the oil spillage from the MV Wakashio.

Unverified photos - to give a sense of scale if you look at the second photo you can see the reef in the background where the ship has come to rest. The first photo shows the resort and the island just offshore - in the latest photos I have seen online the oil spill is running from top left corner of the photo towards the bottom right on the far side of the island.

Did you ever get to MRU as I noticed you were due to go in March?

Edited at 10:33 AM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List