Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Aug 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Some sad news coming out of Mauritius - the Preskil is threatened by the oil spillage from the MV Wakashio.

Unverified photo

Did you ever get to MRU as I noticed you were due to go in March?
Oh no that’s so sad.
I am booked for Mauritius at Christmas but not Preskil. Fingers crossed we get there
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Was just about to comment on the resort as I’ve stayed there, but then noticed this is an old thread and you’ve probably been
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Potts
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I went to Mauritius last year end of Feb/beginning of March and my god it was pitching hot in Grand Gaube.

I burnt with Factor 50 suncream! Be prepared for the heat as it is just coming to the end of their Summer!
2005 - Pop Century
2006 - Pop Century
2007 - Pop Century
Mrs_Potts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mrs_Potts View Post
I went to Mauritius last year end of Feb/beginning of March and my god it was pitching hot in Grand Gaube.

I burnt with Factor 50 suncream! Be prepared for the heat as it is just coming to the end of their Summer!

I think the OP was going in March 2020 not March 2021 - that is why I asked if they had been. But I know how hot Mauritius can get and how strong the sun is - definitely factor 50 needed.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs_Potts View Post

Such a lovely hotel that one, the breakfasts were the best I’ve seen in a hotel
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We stayed in Grand Gaube for our honeymoon, one month before that poor lady was murdered at the Lux, I still feel shaken about it 10 years later. Such a beautiful place it’s hard to imagine something like that could happen.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
We stayed in Grand Gaube for our honeymoon, one month before that poor lady was murdered at the Lux, I still feel shaken about it 10 years later. Such a beautiful place it’s hard to imagine something like that could happen.
Yes that was a terrible event - the hotel was called Legends at the time and along with other hotels in the same group rebranded themselves very quickly - Legends becoming Lux Grande Gaube and Villas.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Yes that was a terrible event - the hotel was called Legends at the time and along with other hotels in the same group rebranded themselves very quickly - Legends becoming Lux Grande Gaube and Villas.
Oh I didn’t know it was a rebrand, I remember driving past it when it was legends with all its flags outside whenever we left the P&V hotel down the road. I assumed another hotel brand had bought that one and the ones in Belle mare (best hotel I have ever stayed at) and the Le Morne.
Old 14 Aug 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
Oh I didn’t know it was a rebrand, I remember driving past it when it was legends with all its flags outside whenever we left the P&V hotel down the road. I assumed another hotel brand had bought that one and the ones in Belle mare (best hotel I have ever stayed at) and the Le Morne.
Lux* resorts was the result of a rebrand of Naiade Resorts in Dec 2011 apparently this had been planned in October 2010 (sadly it was unfortunate that the Legends murder happened in Feb 2011).

They owned Beau Rivage (Lux* Belle Mare), Les Pavillions (Lux*Le Morne), Legends (Lux* Grand Gaube) along with Tamassa, Melville Beach and Le Recif. The group also owned properties in the Maldives and one on Reunion and still operate in both areas under the Lux* banner.

On one of my trips to Mauritius I had lunch at Legends overlooking the bay and it was very nice indeed and I remember I liked the rooms but thought the resort a liitle far out of Grand Baie at that particular time. As I remember the Paul et Virginie hotel opearted by Veranda Hotels was nearby.

There endeth the Lux* resorts history lesson

Edited at 02:06 PM.
Old 14 Aug 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Lux* resorts was the result of a rebrand of Naiade Resorts in Dec 2011 apparently this had been planned in October 2010 (sadly it was unfortunate that the Legends murder happened in Feb 2011).

They owned Beau Rivage (Lux* Belle Mare), Les Pavillions (Lux*Le Morne), Legends (Lux* Grand Gaube) along with Tamassa, Melville Beach and Le Recif. The group also owned properties in the Maldives and one on Reunion and still operate in both areas under the Lux* banner.

On one of my trips to Mauritius I had lunch at Legends overlooking the bay and it was very nice indeed and I remember I liked the rooms but thought the resort a liitle far out of Grand Baie at that particular time. As I remember the Paul et Virginie hotel opearted by Veranda Hotels was nearby.

There endeth the Lux* resorts history lesson
Everyday dibb day is a school day! We very much enjoyed the Paul eat Virginie, we were 20 & 23 and couldn’t believe we had made it to paradise, even if it wasn’t complete 5 star luxury.
When we went back a few years later to the Lux Belle mare it really made us realise the best beaches are in the east!