Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 20 Sep 11, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mainecoon lover View Post
Agree with others on here, you can not compare. Sadly for us days of even bulkhead are over and even travel in the not to distant future as Beth will eventually become bedridden . You can not get in front of someone in a standard seat to see to them. I for one think the disabled should have priority over infants with bulkhead seating. I guess you have to live it to know.
As Joan said before, a day in someone else's shoes...
MrsGrumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 11, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
I hadn't seen all the trouble you had Liz but I'm so glad you have finally got a response on why it happened though that doesn't excuse what you had to go through. :angry:

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Hi... was just mentioning to my DH about you, and what a nightmare it must be for you without bulkhead seats. I dont know how you do it but know you do it because you love your dear boy. God bless. Wish I could be there to give you a hand.
What a lovely post

Originally Posted by MouseLady View Post
Cannot and should not.

I personally find it very offensive to have my disabled child and his needs equated with a baby. I am sure that nobody means to cause offence but it breaks my heart.

My beautiful boy and all disabled people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. Life is hard enough.
Totally agree with this post.

We've always been fortunate (if you can call having a disabled son who 'needs' a bulkhead seat, fortunate) to be given bulkhead seats but it's not without worry and stress beforehand. Half the time I've seen parents with infants be given one of the other bulkhead seats and all they use the crib part for is to store their belongings

Caron
Old 20 Sep 11, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Hi... was just mentioning to my DH about you, and what a nightmare it must be for you without bulkhead seats. I dont know how you do it but know you do it because you love your dear boy. God bless. Wish I could be there to give you a hand.
Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I hadn't seen all the trouble you had Liz but I'm so glad you have finally got a response on why it happened though that doesn't excuse what you had to go through. :angry:

What a lovely post

Totally agree with this post.

We've always been fortunate (if you can call having a disabled son who 'needs' a bulkhead seat, fortunate) to be given bulkhead seats but it's not without worry and stress beforehand. Half the time I've seen parents with infants be given one of the other bulkhead seats and all they use the crib part for is to store their belongings

Caron

thats what I thought Caron and have decided if I win the lottery will charter a plane for us all

Saratoska is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 11, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I actually think if you have babies and don't want to be cramped you should pay for an extra seat, that's what I did when mine were under 2. We've had a battle at times getting a bulkhead for DD when her arthritis in her knees was bad and she needed extra legroom to stretch out, if she couldn't do this she may have been in pain for the whole of our holiday. She's lucky at the moment her arthritis has settled for the moment. I really do think these airlines should take a leaf out of Disney's book on being inclusive to all passengers and not making life more difficult for those who have to endure a lot more difficulties than able bodied people. Three cheers to all you parents for the fantastic job you all do .
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 11, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachel1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MouseLady View Post
Cannot and should not.

I personally find it very offensive to have my disabled child and his needs equated with a baby. I am sure that nobody means to cause offence but it breaks my heart.

My beautiful boy and all disabled people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. Life is hard enough.
Totally agree, especially the bit I have highlighted.

We have chosen to have our two children, and also chosen to delay our next trip until ds is 4 (just look at out countdown) as I personally wouldn't do the flight with a baby or toddler.

However, my dh is a wheelchair user and since he cannot weight bear needs to be lifted into the seat- something he finds quite humiliating at times, especially if other people are trying to push past. We pay extra to fly premium direct from Glasgow, and book far in advance. No chance of any last minute holiday deals for us!

Ali- I totally get what you mean about Sanford, and would like to book the seats on your lottery winning flight please

Rachel x

2016 Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/repo...p?userid=29250
Rachel1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 11, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by khrysteena oba View Post
Disabled and Travelers with Infants, should really be treated with Equal Merit.
So you can sit an infant on your knee read to them, play with them etc. How would you go about doing that with another adult who cant sit or move by themselves?
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 11, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
lausan
VIP Dibber

lausan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 47
spare a thought

Disabled should have priority boarding with adequate time to settle into seat b4 the rush and the tutting/sighing as people push by without a care... we have experienced this so many times My Niece Laura who we take to Florida a lot has to be transferred from her wheelchair at the plane door into narrow aisle chair then to seat bearing in mind she then has to be lifted over to window seat which takes some doing with Vic helping the staff, whilst me with all her medical stuff hand luggage etc struggle to store it in the overhead storage, whilst all this is going the infants and children are boarded then the rush starts it’s a nightmare i know planes need to meet their slot times but Disabled persons and their family members need to have the time to be seated and their equipment stored the kids being boarded are not the problem after all they are so excited it’s the adults who are with them pushing past us and making comments like for god sake why aren’t “these” people boarded earlier or a big sigh as they push past i have ignored the comments as i don’t want Laura to feel it’s because of her she loves going to Florida we book the airport hotel and the lounge which is such a lovely way to start the holiday but the plane situation is a nightmare please spare a thought for anyone who is struggling to get seated and their luggage stored we are all using the transportation as a means to get to our holiday help them if you can please...
Old 21 Sep 11, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread