Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 18 Dec 13, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
hsl500
Imagineer

I don't agree with the above sorry also if adults and understand the difficulty will face re rides and what's suitable I can't understand why go to Disney, if a child that's different they don't know the challenges will face hear Disney and no more dont have to think about anything else.
I didn't think could get a GAC for a carer? We have only ever got the person who is disabled
Maybe I've got it wrong though?

I've also felt same way as OP reading some posts and replies but it's up to that person how they think, I know everybody has different opinions and there's no need to be rude we are all entitled to voice them, sorry to the OP bit I do feel your last comment is a bit rude , I know been in hospital as you said so maybe that's why as nobody knows what's gone on before people post.
You will always get people who dot agree people who throw the toys out the pram but that's just life realistically .
The dibb is a great place and even though maybe a few stormy clouds at times that's all it is will pass
Thanks for people's replies I can see all points raised on my posts
Xx

Believe in yourself and you wont go far wrong
hsl500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 13, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It is one thing to give SOME people the GAC because they need it but to give one to a perfectly able person because they are a carer is beyond scandalous! I will go as far as saying I am quite outraged by the fact that this is even considered!

This thread is not about being "supportive", and it goes without saying that anyone with a life limiting condition or disability has everyone's full support. It is also important to say that many people who have replied on here are either themselves disabled, or have family members that are, or who suffer with life limiting conditions, so to suggest that we are all unsympathetic is somewhat offensive.

This thread is about wholly unrealistic expectations of how Disney should respond to disability needs.It is not Disney's place to offer respite care to the OPs carer.

There are so many people that visit Disney with life limiting or disabling conditions that if Disney were to give a DAS to every one in their party, it would make a mockery of what DAS is for. It is to eliminate disadvantage faced by the disabled person, not give disability advantage to their non-disabled carers or family members.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 13, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
If this happens then I will be complaining myself!

It is one thing to give SOME people the GAC because they need it but to give one to a perfectly able person because they are a carer is beyond scandalous! I will go as far as saying I am quite outraged by the fact that this is even considered!

There will many people (no doubt) that will disagree with me but no matter how many times I read 'you have to walk in my shoes' when I read threads like this I can't help but feel there is too many people who abuse the system and eventually any help and support for those who really need it will be gone!
I agree, The old GAC was abused by people giving it to able bodied people so Disney have now changed this to the DAS and people are now abusing this too, to complain about it to get a refund when the disabled person has no intention of using it but to give it to there able bodied Carer who would be able to queue like everyone else it is outrageous to even expect a refund let alone ask for one
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 13, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post

This thread is not about being "supportive", and it goes without saying that anyone with a life limiting condition or disability has everyone's full support. It is also important to say that many people who have replied on here are either themselves disabled, or have family members that are, or who suffer with life limiting conditions, so to suggest that we are all unsympathetic is somewhat offensive.

This thread is about wholly unrealistic expectations of how Disney should respond to disability needs.It is not Disney's place to offer respite care to the OPs carer.

There are so many people that visit Disney with life limiting or disabling conditions that if Disney were to give a DAS to every one in their party, it would make a mockery of what DAS is for. It is to eliminate disadvantage faced by the disabled person, not give disability advantage to their non-disabled carers or family members.
Very well said
Old 18 Dec 13, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by jillywilly View Post
I agree, The old GAC was abused by people giving it to able bodied people so Disney have now changed this to the DAS and people are now abusing this too, to complain about it to get a refund when the disabled person has no intention of using it but to give it to there able bodied Carer who would be able to queue like everyone else it is outrageous to even expect a refund let alone ask for one
There was a thread on here a while back where a chappie's wife was disabled and he thought he was in the right to use it on her behalf to get on the rides instead of heras she didn't ride.
No amount of persuasion could convince him that it was wrong to do this, he argued and argued his case.
Blatant missuse if ever there was wrong
Old 18 Dec 13, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by dismadbrit View Post
There was a thread on here a while back where a chappie's wife was disabled and he thought he was in the right to use it on her behalf to get on the rides instead of heras she didn't ride.
No amount of persuasion could convince him that it was wrong to do this, he argued and argued his case.
Blatant missuse if ever there was wrong
There are 2 disabled in our party of 5 and not once have we used the GAC nor will we use the DAS we queue in the regular lines unless they say to go via exits etc we are like the invisible people being in wheelchairs it is quiet overwhelming sometimes when the lines are busy being knocked into because people just dont see you, the only benefit we use and are pleased to use is the disabled parking
Old 18 Dec 13, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post

The thing that is so wrong here is we need to know our limitations and not expect others to meet them. People often asked me why I took Beth so far with all her needs and equipment we needed, but I knew we could cope. I now know it's beyond us to take her due to her complex medical needs and being put into pallative care. I am sorry but I just don't understand if you are so poorly how you managed the holiday. Of course only you know that and i am just going from our experience as to needing the medical people within reach when Beth is not feeling great and with pallative care it's a daily occurrence.
Closed Thread