Old 28 Aug 17, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Patty1992 View Post
Thank you so much, guys.

I am going again next October, so fingers crossed I will be able to manage the anxiety/ADHD a lot better by then, but it is nice to know that I will be able to get the support should I need it.

Do you think I would need to bring a doctors letter as proof?
I was led to believe they arnt allowed to look at medical documents something to do with the American disability laws? They never asked to see anything to prove my daughters disabilities, I did have a copy of them though just in case.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Our first park was animal kingdom and we just went to guest services there... any parks guest services should be able to do it ( not sure about water parks though )
Is guest services after bag check and entry or after please? AK will be our first park next trip xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 03:09 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
Is guest services after bag check and entry or after please? AK will be our first park next trip xx
You can access it from before the ticket barrier and after. As we already had tickets a cast member asked us to go through the barrier as the queue would move more quickly on that side.

The pass is definitely for people in your situation. It is not about visible physical disabilities. My DD wears leg braces and uses a wheelchair following an accident. She did not get a pass because of that. She got a pass last week because of ASD and increasing agitation and anxiety in crowds. She only used it for FOP and continues to use fastpasses and simply waits if under 20 minutes.

As previously stated they are not allowed to ask for proof so no need for a doctor's letter.

You can only have one ride wait time open so it isn't just a pass to go on everything without waiting but it sounds like it will work well for you. Do try and book fastpasses as well. The assistance pass gives you a time to return after not a one hour window so they can work well together.
Old 29 Aug 17, 03:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Crystaljordan
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Patty1992 View Post
Hello,

I have been visiting Disney for a very long time, however, it has only just occurred to me to ask about a disability pass.

I have Anxiety and ADHD which really affect me when I am on holiday - A, as I am out of my normal routine, and B, being in large queues around so many people is not good for my anxiety. I have missed out on so many experiences because of this.

I know some theme parks in the UK (Thorpe Park & Chessington) accept my conditions as a valid disability and was wondering if Disney does too?

I do take advantage of the FastPass where ever possible, but sometimes it just isn't viable.

I am mostly asking as I do not want to disturb/annoy other guests whilst attempting to queue (Mostly by coming and going. during my 45 min wait for Splash Mountain, I had to leave the queue 4 times, and the people behind us were very mad at me for it.)

I'd be very grateful if any of you had any information on this.

Please and thank you.

(Plus if anyone can tell me if Universal offer something like this too, that'll be grand )
Seriously, you really should, when I think back I'm sure I don't know how we managed all those years ago, we cope ok now as for the last 6 times we've stayed in universal hotels at great cost, but it does enable my son to have the fast passes, which have been a god send, we've never used the DAS card, I'm not sure why, just think sometimes my husband thought it wasn't warranted in our case, anyways like I say when I think back I'm not sure how we actually managed, the amount of times we were tutted at having to leave the queues so many times for my son to use the toilet, calm down, sit out, cool down, move away from people, and then rejoin, I only wish I had, but I suppose we felt a bit of a fraud in someways as he never had a 'name' put to his disability apart from global developmental delay, you most certainly do need to apply for it.
Crystaljordan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted-nadi
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My son has asbergers and Terrible anxiety , never occurred to me to do this , the amount of times we've left a queue because he thought something bad was going to happen .. the shorter queues were fine as he didn't have time to overthink . He's 18 now and still talks himself out of doing things he loves sadly , might suggest this to him . He's aware he does it , then gets really upset with himself ,poor guy

My heart belongs to uncle Walt
Orlando/Paris/Cali/HongKong/Tokyo ✔️
Shanghai one day
Enchanted-nadi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 17, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Definitely get it!

I don't have a big problem with anxiety persay but I do struggle in certain queues due to it coupled with my other disability (vision). So for example the Great Movie Ride completely kills be as inside the main theater you are looped around like a snake with little gap between rows and it is so dark I start panicking. By having the card I can go down the disabled lane and avoid this situation which helps a lot. They just give you a return time to come back and then its liked you've queued.

With regards to actually getting the card, they will ask you why you feel you need the card. I always explain about my condition and what limitations I have and they are happy to supply it. They have never asked for proof as others have said (they aren't allowed to) but they do ask why you need it. I've found as long as you are open with them they will do all they can to help.

Also use your normal fastpasses too as usually these queues are a lot less crowded and where your DAS would send you anyway.
Old 30 Aug 17, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchanted-nadi View Post
My son has asbergers and Terrible anxiety , never occurred to me to do this , the amount of times we've left a queue because he thought something bad was going to happen .. the shorter queues were fine as he didn't have time to overthink . He's 18 now and still talks himself out of doing things he loves sadly , might suggest this to him . He's aware he does it , then gets really upset with himself ,poor guy
And yes honestly tell him to get it! The first time I went and got one was when I was travelling solo and I felt like an idiot doing it but I had to admit I needed it. Since the first time now I've lost the shame of having to do it as I know how much it helps. Its really hard having to get something like this the first time but honestly it is a life saver. I had stopped doing a lot of rides because of my eyes and now am back doing all of them but one (stupid Haunted Mansion). When I traveled with my family I did the whole "no you lot go" rather than admit I needed help and now I think "what were you doing missing out on this?". He will find it useful I am sure but I am also aware that admitting you need it is a big step! Fingers crossed he will take the advice and try it.
Old 30 Aug 17, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Enchanted-nadi View Post
My little girl is the same aspergers and anxiety and does exactly the same in queues and lines, overthinks everything bless her and then it's too late she's talked herself out of it, walks away and then punishes herself for walking away... your son is exactly who the DAS and assistance cards are there to help... I think I've already said but with Disney the fastpass system and DAS work brilliantly together and we didn't use it much but a godsend when we did use it, we did use similar more at other parks last year but no fastpasses to work alongside so again very much appreciated.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
clairenutter
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you for this post. I have found it most helpful and it has answered so many questions that I had. I have a what they would call invisible illness. ME also know as CFS (chronic Fatigue syndrome) So I tire very very easily and need to rest lots more than a healthy person. Well that one of the main symptoms anyway so waiting in a long queue can be difficult for me. I was trying to plan my trip around FP's and doing half days but I found out about this card by accident and it sounds perfect. I am even more delighted to hear that Universal so a similar thing. Do you have to go and see guest services every day that you are at a Disney Park and Universal park to get this. I am so relieved to hear you don't need to prove you illness/disability as other than may medical records I don't really have anything that would confirm my illness. I had visions of me having to go and see my Gp and ask for some sort of letter to confirm I had ME/CFS that would have been a fun visit. Well it would probably have made him chuckle but seems a bit of a waste of time for them!
California - Sheraton Disneyland 04
DLP - Hotel Cheyenne 05
clairenutter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

You only have to go to guest services once per holiday.