Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 22 May 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDAMUM3
Excited about Disney

Mobile Laptop recommendations

I saw a similar thread the other day but can't seem to find it now! Just looking for ideas as we only have a PC and with homeschooling looking likely to continue for a long while yet, we need a laptop so more than one child can complete their school work at a time. Anyone have a laptop that they would recommend as I'm a bit clueless! Thanks.
Old 22 May 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

They are more expensive but last many years longer- a MacBook Air.
Chrome books are good basic laptops at the lowerend.
Old 22 May 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

MacBook Air 2020 but the £1,299 model not the £999; the i5 Processor and extra storage make the extra cost more than worth it

or

Microsoft Surface Laptop which comes in at £899 or £1,139 depending on storage - has a touch screen and running Windows may be more school friendly.

Both options are well built and free of bloat ware that you tend to find on cheaper machines.

I have a 3 year old Macbook Pro which is still as fast as the day it was new and my partner has the Surface Laptop and loves it having previously having a Macbook preference.
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Unless your school is using Apple products I wouldn't suggest one as you could run into all sorts of compatibility issues from a software perspective. In reality a modern Windows PC at a 3rd of the price lasts as long as any Macbook will.

If schools use apply products it tends to be iPads.

Chromebooks are good, but again check with the school as to what software they use. There are limitations to what a chromebook can do.

For the most compatibility between school and home life then a Windows 10 laptop is still the most sensible choice.

Things to consider are the processor, Memory and Disk storage. Budget is of course the key factor in where you go with this.

How much are you looking to spend?

You say you have a PC, I assume this is doing what you need it to, so may be a good way of looking at the hardware you need. What make / model is the PC?
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Unless your school is using Apple products I wouldn't suggest one as you could run into all sorts of compatibility issues from a software perspective. In reality a modern Windows PC at a 3rd of the price lasts as long as any Macbook will.

If schools use apply products it tends to be iPads.

Chromebooks are good, but again check with the school as to what software they use. There are limitations to what a chromebook can do.

For the most compatibility between school and home life then a Windows 10 laptop is still the most sensible choice.

Things to consider are the processor, Memory and Disk storage. Budget is of course the key factor in where you go with this.

How much are you looking to spend?

You say you have a PC, I assume this is doing what you need it to, so may be a good way of looking at the hardware you need. What make / model is the PC?

When you spec up a windows PC to what you get from Apple - the prices aren't that different. And Apples generally last 8-10 years which is generally longer than a Windows laptop. So the reality is over time, prices are similar.
But Apple dont compete at the cheap end of the market at all. Also, you cant really even compare specifications as they both run completely different OSs and they use the under HW in completely different ways.

The big issue as you mention is compatibility so really should go with what the school uses.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

My girls have one of these each, they have been using them for school and college work and had no problems, using google classrooms, zoom, teams etc

currys/gbuk/comput...95190-pdt.html
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by the_weird_one View Post
MacBook Air 2020 but the £1,299 model not the £999; the i5 Processor and extra storage make the extra cost more than worth it

or

Microsoft Surface Laptop which comes in at £899 or £1,139 depending on storage - has a touch screen and running Windows may be more school friendly.

Both options are well built and free of bloat ware that you tend to find on cheaper machines.

I have a 3 year old Macbook Pro which is still as fast as the day it was new and my partner has the Surface Laptop and loves it having previously having a Macbook preference.
I would respectfully disagree re the base model- the i5 extra power is pretty useless as it overheats when pushed so cannot really take advantage of the additional chip and the base model is way enough power for the school work- being substantially more powerful than the last version and this one has just come out. I would agree if it had a good heatpipe on it, but it doesnt. The base model is ideal here. Also if you are in Bupa (or even if not you can still register and buy through it I think- Bupe EXEC website I think it is called) you get about 90 off. Think I paid 930.
If you need power I would stump up for the new 13 inch Pro, but that is massive overkill unless the OP's daughter is doing 4k 60fps film rendering.
We use Macbook and our IMac for all schooling issues, and it is no problem at all. In fact our kids school (state) has a large room full of iMacs also for computer science.

Edited at 02:54 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

For School work surely a Chromebook is enough? My son has just finished 3 years at Uni using one for under £200.

Otherwise, a Macbook for me, I've had mine air for 7/8 years now, when I have had 3/4 PC's in a similar time - the £££ prob works out the same, but no stress hassle free computing in my experience.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

I bought 2 of these. currys/gbuk/comput...93471-pdt.html

One for ds who uses it for all his school work. He is 12 and it’s been great for all he needs. He has his school Microsoft account set up on it.

I ended up buying another for myself to use alongside my work laptop and it’s been great.

I don’t doubt there is better out there but for what you are looking for and what we’ve needed them for they’ve been great. They were cheaper buying direct from HP.
Old 22 May 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Unless there is a specific reason not to, get a middle of the road Chromebook.

( I use a metal bodied 2019 14" Acer Chromebook for testing. Along with a 2018 MacBook Pro and various other laptops with many many OS's. Plus a loft full of "stuff" )

I get asked this question a lot and it's my default answer these days.
Both my kids have them for school ( primary and secondary ) and they work flawlessly.
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List