Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 27 Dec 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DSLR Camera recommendations

DH is after a DSLR camera to take pictures of wildlife if we are ever allowed back to our static

We are looking to spend under £1000, preferably with a zoom lens . Any recommendations ?;
Old 27 Dec 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball18
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I have a Nikon D3300, came with a 18-55 lens, I also got another lens Sigma 70-300. Would definitely recommend both of those.

You camera body and lens should, if you are beginners, have a AF switch/ button/ function. That will allow the lens and camera to auto focus. One you get more experience you can turn this into manual focus.
Snowball18 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post

I have a Nikon900 which is very good. The zoom is amazing you can even take pictures of the moon!

I bought it ready to go on safari with my step-mum
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

There will be a lot of personal preference here as people will have different preferences.

I prefer Nikon due to their much more natural colours over Canon with more saturated colour pallets. But as I say that's a personal preference and both do good kit that you can adjust both pre and post processing.

I would look seriously at mirror less cameras these days over a DSLR.

Sony, Lumix etc have an edge over Nikon and Canon on this space still due to their early market entry.

Have a look at WEX photography as the do secondhand equipment that they have graded and usually shutter counts (if DSLR) and this can get you a much better body and lens than you could afford new.

Edited at 01:47 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am certainly no photography expert, but wanted to dabble a bit.

My Canon EOS77d, purchased around a year ago certainly seems to work well for us and I have lenses from 15mm out to 200mm.. (3 in all), autofocus and stabilised.

It seems very easy to use and with great menus/advice on the back, touch screen that even I understand.

We also have a waterproof Olympus TG-4 for water parks, discovery cove etc.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 02:29 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You probably want to go mirrorless now rather than DSLR. The newest mirrorless are full frame if that is important to you. There’s no advantage to DSLR nowadays and disadvantage of size and weight.

A perfect wildlife camera due to its high shutter speeds (up to 60 frames sec) wildlife recognising AF and in-body stabilisation as well a weather sealing is the Panasonic G9 which is marketed as a professional wildlife camera. It also is one of the best video cameras you can buy. It’s not full frame but unless he’s making large prints I would not worry too much and it’s now seen as one of the best bang for the buck cameras around with cheaper lenses. The latest marketing is all full frame but this means you can now pick up the G9 at a bargain price. Samples of video here (if you can set YouTube to 4K):

Full frame is quite a bit above £1000. For example Sony A7 iii.

The new Fuji Xs-10 is also very nice at just under £1000 (APS-C).

Edited at 03:37 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
There will be a lot of personal preference here as people will have different preferences.

I prefer Nikon due to their much more natural colours over Canon with more saturated colour pallets. But as I say that's a personal preference and both do good kit that you can adjust both pre and post processing.

I would look seriously at mirror less cameras these days over a DSLR.

Sony, Lumix etc have an edge over Nikon and Canon on this space still due to their early market entry.

Have a look at WEX photography as the do secondhand equipment that they have graded and usually shutter counts (if DSLR) and this can get you a much better body and lens than you could afford new.
Totally agree.

I have a Nikon D5300 with a couple of good lenses. Fantastic camera, but has become too bulky.
I am seriously considering selling and buying a mirrorless camera.
Possibly a Fuji.

Or maybe just use my Lumix LX100. Fantastic camera but cant change the lens.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List