Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 27 Jul 10, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
fifinefairy
Excited about Disney

disabled carers entry costs?

We have a support working accompanying us on holiday due to son's severe disabilities.

In Jersey and UK the support worker usually accompanies us to places either free or at a reduced cost.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is in Florida?

Kind regards
Emma
fifinefairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 10, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post

I believe sea world offers either a discounted or free carer but as far as im aware all the other parks do not.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 10, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Eve is correct I'm sure SW gives a 50% discount for the carer, none of the other parks do though.

Caron
Old 28 Jul 10, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
scottiedogz
Very Serious Dibber

Everyone has to pay in Florida! Sadly only Seaworld do any kind of discount and then you have to prove the disability - being in a wheelchair and obviously having cerebral palsy or similar isnt enough - letter from the GP had to be produced!

Miami - June 19, Orlando/Miami Oct 18, Washington DC Dec 17, DLP - Aug 17, Florida road trip - April 17, NY & QM2 Oct 16, Orlando - Nov 15 - Oct 14 - Nov 13 - Med Cruise (yuk - missed Florida) May 12, Washington DC Dec 12, Orlando - April 10, DLP - Dec 10, Orlando & wedding - Nov 08, DLP - Aug 07
scottiedogz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 10, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by scottiedogz View Post
Everyone has to pay in Florida! Sadly only Seaworld do any kind of discount and then you have to prove the disability - being in a wheelchair and obviously having cerebral palsy or similar isnt enough - letter from the GP had to be produced!

we didn't have to provide any proof and my children both have autism which is an invisible disability

the ADA act in america is very strict regarding questions around disability and asking for proof so i think you must have got a person having a very bad day

we asked very politely and queitly at the ticket booth and the lady said no problems and she explained the discounts given whilst she processed our payment, we found them very helpful
Old 28 Jul 10, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
fifinefairy
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the info - the cost of the additional person is really putting a strain on our finances!

I'm surprised that there are not more concessions for disabled people - I would have thought that America would be very hot on that type of thing.

Emma
fifinefairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 10, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by mazz View Post
we didn't have to provide any proof and my children both have autism which is an invisible disability

the ADA act in america is very strict regarding questions around disability and asking for proof so i think you must have got a person having a very bad day

we asked very politely and queitly at the ticket booth and the lady said no problems and she explained the discounts given whilst she processed our payment, we found them very helpful
Same with us Marie even though DS2 is in a wheel chair.

They give discounts to over 50's as DH got it.

Caron
Old 28 Jul 10, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post

I asked Disney why there were no discounts (quite innocently when talking to a CM) and the reply was that Disney feel there's no need for discounts as 99% of their rides are accessible even to the most disabled of customers. My DH has CP and I must admit I do feel they make it accessible to disabled customers - I have seen people with severe disabilities being carried onto Splash Mountain etc.
Old 28 Jul 10, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post

As said Seaworld will give the carer and disabled person 50%. universal will give the disabled person 15%. are you taking the carer through direct payments, if so we can pay all their expenses ie tickets and food out of the direct payments. Speak to your sw if you are doing it this way.
Old 29 Jul 10, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post

There are details of discounts in the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Briefly Seaworld and Busch Gardens give 50% to a disabled person and one carer on tickets bought at the gate, Universal give 15% for a disabled person on tickets bought at the gate.

ADA law doesn't allow them to ask for proof of disability so don't worry about that, if you have a problem with any staff member ask to speak to a manager. Disney don't offer any discounts because they believe any disabled person can enjoy reasonable access to their attractions and have a Guest Assistance Pass system to facilitate this (details of this pass are also in the sticky thread).
Closed Thread