Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 23 Mar 11, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Ride access pass changes @ Thorpe Park

We went to Thorpe park over the weekend and encountered a lot of unhappy people as there have been significant changes to the applicable rules to qualify for a ride access pass. All documentation is being re-checked and only dr's letters stating that you have a condition which will affect your ability to queue will receive a pass (the accompanying leaflet stated communicatin disorders). It is no longer permissable to show a blue badge or benefits letter as proof of disability. Furthermore, the pass is now only valid for the guest and one carer/helper aged over 14; anyone else must use the normal queue line which makes it quite difficult to enjoy a family day out.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 11, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Dont think I'll be renewing my pass this year then! I am not paying my doctors to write me a letter, when they have in the past (though it was about 8 years ago) and I have my blue badge. Also only 1 carer? Of course, you could take 1 child but the other has to queue up, that sounds reasonable! NOT
Old 23 Mar 11, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post

hmm and ok ds will meet the qualifying as he does ta legoland and chessington know they are strict about what qualifys and being blude badge holder or wheelchair user is not enough there it for that and in some ways i can undertsand we have used the exit passes and found as theres several large family groups you can wait longer hence i know they used to say no more than 3 others to accompy the child

but what on earth do i Do if im there with ds and dd at 8 she cant go on her own in a queue am hoping in that case they apply common sense.Ds is not going to be going on big rides anyway
Old 23 Mar 11, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Melonz
Imagineer

Melonz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
This rules out the parks for us then. So much for being disabled friendly...this is going backwards in my opinion.

I have left a comment on their facebook page and maybe you guys would like to comment on my post!

I will also send them a letter regarding this it's not on.
Old 23 Mar 11, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
lozzer31
slightly serious Dibber

I may be mistaken but I think Alton Towers are also bringing in this requirement for a doctors letter. Or at least that's what I think quest services were trying to explain to us when we visited about a month ago!
lozzer31 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 11, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry to jump in your thread - but I found this on BBC website, thought you may be interested bbc/ouch/messageboa...thread=8077342
Old 23 Mar 11, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post

hmm chessington and legoland have had the requirement for a couple of years as we got caught out on this when had abreak booked .so first day ds struggled pretty badly for the morning but a member of staff saw ds not coping with waiting crying yelling and arranged the pass but told me next time bring offical as wheelchair user not enough
Old 23 Mar 11, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post

• For guests who are unable to walk unaided, rides that involve a complex evacuation procedure have an additional requirement that a minimum of two helpers over the age of 14 accompany them onto the ride.
Seems this could backfire this was taken from their revised policys .But how if your only allowed one carer ok ds if theres aproblem i can lug him

where does it say about only one peron with the disabled guess .As i want to clarify that if im on my own with dd and ds3 that i can keep her with me .Otherwise i may as well ask for refund on merlin cards.Susppose in one way as ds is so small he does not do many of the big rides anyway and if he is not riding i would expect to queue as nomal as will my other kids .We used the policy they did at chessington couple years ago where if you rode think one of the big 5 you could not go back for a set amount of time .

But like said most the rides he wanted were the small ones anyway

Edited at 11:06 PM.
Old 23 Mar 11, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Surely this is going against some EU ruling or something - I'm not, thank God, disabled nor are any of my family - but something should be done about this ridiculous state of affairs. It's probably come from able bodied guys whinging that they have to queue. [/rant]
Old 24 Mar 11, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Melonz
Imagineer

Melonz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
I think people have been abusing the system so something does need to be done. I think having a blue badge and/or a high level DLA with photo ID should be enough. They're miles behind the USA who aren't ALLOWED to ask for proof!

Anyway, I have received a reply after posting on their Facebook...

Dear Melanie,

The helper policy at THORPE PARK differs to that of the other UK Merlin theme parks. It is only Thorpe that limits to 1 helper, the other parks 3 helpers and this is due to the nature of the rides and exit areas. There are exceptions that can be made for family's with young children at Thorpe. If you email your exact family information (ages and disabilities) to andrew.walker2@thorpe-park.co.uk we can work out the most suitable solution for your family situation.

Kind Regards
Andy (On behalf of THORPE PARK OFFICIAL)

All well and good and I will be sending an email tomorrow but why all this cloak and dagger saga. It should be a clear policy which everyone can understand.