Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 1 May 11, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Question about Motability Scheme

Evening Dibbers,

Are there any members on here that use this scheme?

I'm looking into it for my parents and have a few questions.

What are the pro's and cons re this scheme or purchasing a new car the way to go?

Is it really as good as it lets on? Or are there any hidden pitfalls that you have come across that weren't obvious when you first applied? Also, how much is it to add a third driver?

Thanks in advance
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 11, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
I've just moved this over to the Special Needs forum for you.

Hopefully someone will be along soon that can help you.
Old 1 May 11, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post

We have just gotten a motability vehicle for Bethany. Ours is highly converted. A lot of people will say buy yourself but after doing that and losing a lot of money, I would never do it again. The only pitfalls I can see are you never gain any no claims discount and you can only do around 11000 miles a year. As for the insurance I am unsure as we can have any driver due to Beth's complex needs. I would phone them as they are very good.
Old 1 May 11, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
lozzer31
slightly serious Dibber

Can't recommend them highly enough... had a vehicle for my sons needs for the past 10 years and always been really really impressed with the service from Motability. As previous poster says I would say the only pitfall really is the insurance... no no claims discount is gained and you're not insured for belongings etc in the car should it get broken into or stolen (these should be covered on home insurance!) They are really quick at sorting out any issues though and very easy to talk to. Their customer focus is outstanding. Also not sure you can "usually" have more than 2 people insured to drive the car but they are really good at swapping a driver over for another person (which we did when going on holiday with the in laws).
Well worth it in my opinion
lozzer31 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 11, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post

How old are your parents Shell? It's only available if they are younger than 65 when they apply for DLA Mobility I believe
Old 1 May 11, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
I've just moved this over to the Special Needs forum for you.

Hopefully someone will be along soon that can help you.
Thanks Michelle

Originally Posted by mainecoon lover View Post
We have just gotten a motability vehicle for Bethany. Ours is highly converted. A lot of people will say buy yourself but after doing that and losing a lot of money, I would never do it again. The only pitfalls I can see are you never gain any no claims discount and you can only do around 11000 miles a year. As for the insurance I am unsure as we can have any driver due to Beth's complex needs. I would phone them as they are very good.
They wouldn't have to make any conversions thankfully. It did say on the website 20,000 a year. Will look into this. Thanks

Originally Posted by lozzer31 View Post
Can't recommend them highly enough... had a vehicle for my sons needs for the past 10 years and always been really really impressed with the service from Motability. As previous poster says I would say the only pitfall really is the insurance... no no claims discount is gained and you're not insured for belongings etc in the car should it get broken into or stolen (these should be covered on home insurance!) They are really quick at sorting out any issues though and very easy to talk to. Their customer focus is outstanding. Also not sure you can "usually" have more than 2 people insured to drive the car but they are really good at swapping a driver over for another person (which we did when going on holiday with the in laws).
Well worth it in my opinion
Thanks for the reply
Old 1 May 11, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Dippy Dog View Post
How old are your parents Shell? It's only available if they are younger than 65 when they apply for DLA Mobility I believe
Oh really? Mum is 63.

Another item to check. Thanks
Old 1 May 11, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post

You can download a claim for from: direct.gov.uk/en/disabled...rt/dg_10011925

If that's any help
Old 1 May 11, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
justjo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shellgirl View Post
Evening Dibbers,

Are there any members on here that use this scheme?

I'm looking into it for my parents and have a few questions.

What are the pro's and cons re this scheme or purchasing a new car the way to go?

Is it really as good as it lets on? Or are there any hidden pitfalls that you have come across that weren't obvious when you first applied? Also, how much is it to add a third driver?

Thanks in advance

Hiya, if your parents are on the higher rate of mobility as part of their DLA then this is the way to go...it really is as easy as it seems, you can chose from a list of cars, many of them are nil advance payments and then the mobility part of the DLA is used to pay the monthly payments, you have the car for 3 years then you can change the car for another brand new car!
The 1st 2 drivers are free and it costs £73 (per driver) a year to add additional drivers

HTH let me know if you need to know any thing else

Disney All Star Movies 2005 Our Honeymoon
Mallorca in a Villa Jan 2006
Mallorca Hotel Barcelo Cala Vinas, Fantastic June 2008
Westhaven Villa Christmas 2009 Just Fantastic
Mallorca All Inclusive for 6, July 2010
10 of us went to Florida July/Aug 2010
Mallorca All Inclusive here August 2013
justjo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 11, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
justjo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shellgirl View Post
Oh really? Mum is 63.

Another item to check. Thanks
Not necessarily true, our neighbours were in their 70s and they had a motability car!

Disney All Star Movies 2005 Our Honeymoon
Mallorca in a Villa Jan 2006
Mallorca Hotel Barcelo Cala Vinas, Fantastic June 2008
Westhaven Villa Christmas 2009 Just Fantastic
Mallorca All Inclusive for 6, July 2010
10 of us went to Florida July/Aug 2010
Mallorca All Inclusive here August 2013
justjo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread