Closed Thread

Old 11 May 11, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Why Autism makes the world a better place

I truly believe that the world is a better place for having Autistic people in it.
Not just the Rain Man genius stereotype that some people believe is commonplace but the real children and adults that are so often misunderstood.
So I would like to compile a list of reasons why Autism makes the world a better place.

They don't lie.

They don't cheat in games.

They will never take drugs, drink alcohol or smoke.

When you ask "does my bum look good in this?" you will get a straight and honest answer.

If they made an advert for a car, they would show you the car, give you a list of facts and tell you how much it cost - nothing else.

If they ran the railways, every train would always be on time.

They can think in ways that I can only dream of.

They would never judge another person based on their clothes, where they lived, their colour, their income etc

They notice minute detail that most people would miss.

They would never pretend to like you if they didn't.

They will see and state the obvious when everyone else would dance around it.

Please add your own...
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 11, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post

They do say we are all on the spectrum somewhere . . . . I think people with autism show us another way to look at the world and ourselves
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 11, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post

I used to babysit one of the lovliest children I have ever had the pleasure to meet who was autistic, luckily he really took to me (his mum couldn't quite believe it) and I looked after him for years. If I am lucky enough to have children and 1 is autistic, I hope they are like him cause he was one beautiful person.
Old 11 May 11, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Oh my... that really lifted my heart!

I can add..

Will always be unpredictable

Their innocence is so lovable

Will question everything with brand new eyes

They don't care what everybody thinks

They make you feel so special

They always make you laugh

Thanks for posting this!
Old 11 May 11, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post

I would love to believe that everyone would hold this view but sadly they don't. One of the things that people who have autism/asperger's do is say exactly what's on their mind. It's not always appropriate what is said or diplomatic, and many times they find relationships very confusing. As an adult with Asperger's I have found difficulty keeping jobs, friends and family due to this and sometimes feel I am always saying sorry!

So it's not all wonderful.

I also struggle with emotions, which is tough on me and my family too.
Lights are too bright and noises are too loud. Also I find that things seem to cause me migraines so I get physical problems from it too.

A lot of the time I wish I were more like average folk.

Ruth

Edited at 11:58 PM.
Old 12 May 11, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
patm
Imagineer

patm's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mcplod View Post
I would love to believe that everyone would hold this view but sadly they don't. One of the things that people who have autism/asperger's do is say exactly what's on their mind. It's not always appropriate what is said or diplomatic, and many times they find relationships very confusing. As an adult with Asperger's I have found difficulty keeping jobs, friends and family due to this and sometimes feel I am always saying sorry!

So it's not all wonderful.

I also struggle with emotions, which is tough on me and my family too.
Lights are too bright and noises are too loud. Also I find that things seem to cause me migraines so I get physical problems from it too.
Ruth
A lot of the time I wish I were more like average folk.
My DD (who has aspergers) also has problems with noises and lights and also struggles with understanding other peoples emotional responses.
Also she is always apologising, which annoys her dad, me and her boyfriend!
Saying that she seems to know no fear! She does public speaking (and has entered competitions) and debating, and really enjoys them!
However whereas many kids take things at face value, she has learned to be suspicious of many of her peers (particularly of teenage boys!)
Pat

]

Edited at 09:46 AM.
patm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 11, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Having my lovely son who is now 15 and autistic had made me a much better person. He is a true blessing and I wouldn't swap him for anything. He alway does his best and the teachers say he is the best behaved boy in the class. He never lies or cheats. Rules are rules to him and that is what you stick to. He always counts that he has 5 stripes showing on his school tie much to the disgust of his sister who favours the short fat tie and says he is the only one in the school that follows the 5 stripe rule!
Old 12 May 11, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post

I have an exam today and one of the questions will be on autism - so have completed some research about autism and ny eyes and heart hae truely been openend. Liike many I believed Autism to be "rainman" but oh how wrong I was!
Old 12 May 11, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post

The first post made think and yes it is true if you realy want to know what you look like in my house you ask Aaron.
Old 12 May 11, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by fudge View Post
The first post made think and yes it is true if you realy want to know what you look like in my house you ask Aaron.
you do always get to find out the truth though.

There's a standing joke in our household because I once told a family member they had bad breath, they went to the dentists and discovered they had seriously badly aligned teeth due to a floating jaw and ended up having to make frequent visits to the dentists over several years to get their teeth repaired.

He never discovered what was causing the bad breath but has much better "bite" now and can chew his food much better.
Closed Thread