Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jul 11, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Siffy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AlanaJ View Post
Wicked Plans

I have been contemplating replying to this all day long, still not sure whether to not to be truthful.

I totally agree that ASD makes the world a better place for normal people(oh I hate that term) but what about the ASD sufferer themselves? What about how they feel about their disablity?

I have an ASD child, fantastic bright intelligent child, can do things I would never even be able to dream of but absolutely hates life, hates that he is so so different to all his friends even though I tell him how fantastic he is. Has cried so many times that he wants to kill himself :angry:as he isn't like most people, all he wants to do is be the same as everyone else. That is heartbreaking and soul destroying to hear as a parent as all you want is for them to be happy. even putting it down in words I'm sobbing as I love my child so much. If ASD wasn't around I would certianly have a much happier child that would never of spoke about suicide so from a parents point of view ASD doesn't make the world a better place for my little one!
This broke my heart reading this. I hope since you wrote it you are feeling better, if that's the right word. It must be tough going to see your child so at odds and upset. Is there plenty of support for you? Do you have other parents in the same boat whom you can have coffee and get togethers with?

Although neither of my children have any of the conditions mentioned on this forum I do try and read so I can have a better understanding. Same as I have no idea what it's like to be or have a sibling as I'm a only child. It's not always as easy as everyone thinks to understand something that you've never experienced.Like I say society do try, but it's not always as easy as it sounds, unfortunately.
Siffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 11, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Siffy View Post
It's not always as easy as everyone thinks to understand something that you've never experienced.
This is very true, but it makes life easier when, like you, people do not judge and are willing to learn
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 11, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Siffy View Post
What a lovely warm, heart felt post.You sound like a very lovely person, I can imagine your children are a credit to you, if you have any.
Thanks so much for saying that, funny enough people have said my kids are a credit to me and i never really realised what that meant until last year.Ive tried to bring ,my kids up the best way I can, and they are good kids, they never get into trouble at school or anywhere esle for that matter.But its true and I really wish people would think the same way as me, i see so many parents that just dont seem like they are bothered with there kids, there left to there own devices while parents are out enjoying themselves etc. As yet I have never even spent a night away from my family and the mean the world to me, I put them first. And When I read this post to start of with I guess I got annoyed abit, not for what was being said but because I have seen the other side of how they can be treated and how they are delt with. I often see disabled kids on tv and it breaks your heart to see them and then I see how brave and often lovely they are.Kids are precious all kids, your time goes by so quick, enjoy it while you can and make good memories, thats all I can say.
Old 19 Jul 11, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Siffy
Imagineer

I knew what you meant in your first few posts. I think it's tricky as sometimes you can't do right for doing wrong I suppose.It can be wrong if you don't have compassion and empathy, then, it can wrong if you do as it's seen as ,don't be feeling sorry for us. I find it so confusing at times, but, life is full of challenges.
Siffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 11, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just to add to the initial posts my DS can

Remember my pin numbers when I forget

Tell me when I've added the shopping up wrong

Do tables practice with his younger bro when I get bored (Younger DS has taken ages to learn his tables)

Remember useless facts to bring up in a quiz night

Laugh (finally) at the english language (WHat are we doing tonight? Veg out with a movie. Are we going on adiet then! )

Not care when t shirts don't match shorts as its comfort rather than style that matter (please can he teach middle DS soon! )

Be relied upon to break a quiet lull in conversation with something odd

There is no-one else in my family that gets my jigsaw obsession

He has trained my DH to not channel hop, something I couldn't do (even if it is to watch top gear AGAIN!)

Force me to be a creative thinker, to get myself to be more organised, to be less selfish, to make DH and I work together and to enrich our lives.

Thank you wicked plans, its tough being any kind of parent at times and sometimes we all need to be reminded that there are good times and bad, especially when the challenges are perhaps bigger or more long term than for others

Caj
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 11, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
carolshack
Very Serious Dibber

What a lovely thread! My nephew, who is 18 next month, is autistic so autism is very close to my heart. It's very easy to focus on what autistic people CANNOT do as opposed to what they CAN do and it's good to re-evaluate their strengths every now and again...
carolshack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 11, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Interesting thread with many thought provoking posts, it certainly gave me a lot to think about...I havent posted on the DIBB in a while but always a great help reading about how other families with loved ones with ASD got on with their trip!

My youngest DS is 5.5 and has ASD and I very often think of him, life before diagnosis (2 years ago) and life after and he is maturing into a sweet, kind, well tempered little chap with a massive sense of humour and so sociable and loving.. but it has taken a huge change in attitude from all those that love him to get him there and to reduce the frustrations and for us to all come to terms with life as he see's it and adjust and that I hope has made us all better people as a family.

But taking each day as it comes, I'm always amazed at his spirit and how he battles at every challenge (especially with speech as 2 years ago the psychiatrist who diagnosed was not confident he would gain much speech) - and now its amazing after all the hard work seeing speech happening for him and finally knowing the thoughts he is thinking as he gets more comprehension of the world around him and finding out what makes him laugh, smile, and seeing his awareness develop..its something that can really be quite inspiring when you know how difficult it has been.

I feel like going and giving him a big hug now!

Much love to all these incredible kids and their carers ...xxx
Old 13 Aug 11, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread