Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jul 12, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post

What qualifies for Blue Badge?

I rang the council the other day about getting a blue badge for our ds. I know he can walk which is why I have never applied in the past, but he does get tired due to his heart problems and also due to the pronated feet and low muscle tone. Also there are times when it is best for us not to have to cross roads and having the badge would mean less chance of this.

Anyway I rang the council and asked about this and spoke to a rather impolite woman who asked what disabilites ds had, when I explained ASD and ADHD she cut in immediately and said "you don't qualify, we don't give badges for ASD or ADHD" she never even gave me the chance to explain all the other problems ... aortic stenosis, pronated feet, dyspraxia, low muscle tone etc.. I ended the conversation saying can you please send me the form anyway because our GP seems to think ds needs this. I've had the form a couple of days now and haven't filled it in yet because I'm wondering if its going to be a waste of time? She basically said if we don't get full rate mobility then we will find it difficult to get a blue badge, but our gp says this is not the case?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 12, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaju&bob
Imagineer

Hi not sure this wil be of any help, but I applied for one for my dad (sorry I know its the other end of the age range) but on the phone lady wasn't sure if he would qualify but sent form and said send it in and we will assess it for you. He has qualified, he cant walk very far, eye sight is bad etc. So I would fill it in and send it off, it might go to someone a lot more helpful than the one on the phone,good luck hope you get it
PO Riverside 2002 2007 2009 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 (2017) 2018 2019 2020
Animal Kingdom 2006
Floridaju&bob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 12, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Fill the forms in as there is nothing lost by doing it. I think this again differs from county to county. Ours state you should be on high rate DLA with mobility element but I think they will allow with consultant letters as well.
Old 31 Jul 12, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post

It completely depends on where you live sadly I used to be in the borough of Windsor and maidenhead and never had a problem, now I've moved to Hampshire I've been told there is little chance of me getting mine renewed I honestly don't know what I will do without it
Old 31 Jul 12, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

I am in no way talking about the ops situation as I don't know enough about it.

However I do think that there needs to be some tightening up of the blue badge scheme (I think there has already been some)

If any of you go shopping to the large supermarkets it is getting harder and harder to find a disabled parking space.

I wouldn't like to be the person to decide who should and who shouldn't get a badge but there does need to be more scrutiny of applicants.

As I said, no reflection at all on the op as I have no idea of the circumstances.

Good luck with your application.
Old 31 Jul 12, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post

I never realised that it was a different policy depending on which county you live in. That's not very fair then is it? Postcode lottery ... again

I'll fill in the forms anyway, as you say Michelle, we've nothing to lose, but it is a bit disheartening when you know other people may not be as needing of it but can get a blue badge because of where they live. My nephews have ADHD and they have a blue badge, but they live in Lancashire, I just assumed we should qualify too
Old 31 Jul 12, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
I am in no way talking about the ops situation as I don't know enough about it.

However I do think that there needs to be some tightening up of the blue badge scheme (I think there has already been some)

If any of you go shopping to the large supermarkets it is getting harder and harder to find a disabled parking space.

I wouldn't like to be the person to decide who should and who shouldn't get a badge but there does need to be more scrutiny of applicants.

As I said, no reflection at all on the op as I have no idea of the circumstances.

Good luck with your application.
I agree, we wouldn't use it at supermarkets anyway as DS hates supermarkets with a passion and can't get him near one for love nor money
Old 31 Jul 12, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mcplod View Post
I agree, we wouldn't use it at supermarkets anyway as DS hates supermarkets with a passion and can't get him near one for love nor money

Sensible lad!

I suppose it will depend on what county you live in as they are issued by the local authority.

My mother has to apply again in October and I've been led to believe we'll have to jump through loads of hoops to get the new badge.
Old 31 Jul 12, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post

I have one as I do have mobility problems but I dont claim DLA. I filled in the forms and gave my GP's details as they would of supported it.
Good luck, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Mine was sent within about 2 weeks from applying. It truely has been a god send.
Old 31 Jul 12, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I'll fill it out and send it off tommorrow, I'll let you all know how we get on. Thanks everyone for the advice and info.
Closed Thread