Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 1 Aug 12, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

without creating an arguement, i want to respectively point out that blue badges ARE issued for reasons other than being unable or virtually unable to walk,its very much open to interpretation, i know a few folk who do have heart conditions who have them,the high rate mobility award, really is a nonsense,as again people qualify who CAN walk,for me,and its just my opinion,a gp should be able to say yay or nay to someone, as some of you know i have a disability, i was born without a left hand, no way in the world would/should/do i qualify for one, but you try pushing that trolley around the supermarket, as most of them have a mind of their own, i have to make more than one trip to my car as a result,it does not bother me, its all i know, but who should decide, about a level of disability qualifying, last time i was at the limb centre i saw a lady get out of her car,she had a blue badge, i asked her was it hers, she said yes, her gp advised her to apply,she did and got one immediately,guess what the only difference between me and her was a)she is female and b)she had been born without her right hand? she could not believe i did not have one,she lives within the greater manchester area,just like me,but coming back on topic, the op should 100% qualify for a blue badge for her son and again i wish good luck in pursuit of this, regards, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 12, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I agree Bondy, and it is down to the discretion of the council.
I know how hard it is with autistic kids, this review has made life very difficult for many, many people.
Its not helped when badges are given to people who clearly don't need them.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 12, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

I am totally in sympathy with the feelings that abuse should be stopped, however I always think it is hard to say that the person who has used a blue badge is clearly not disabled, as it is not always easy to tell what is going on in terms of disability, or if the driver is able bodied, they may be picking up a disabled passenger etc.

This is not to get away from the fact that there are clearly scammers out there who don't care who they are inconveniencing.

To the OP, good luck with the application.

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 12, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mcplod View Post
it's ironic you mention that because I have my mums blue badge in my car. I kept it purely for sentimental reasons, its in a lovely red case with her photo on it, but I would never ever consider using it, that is like fraud and taking advantage of someone who is no longer here, absolutely disgusting

Bondy, your post means a lot and brought a lump in my throat and I also hope you get the badge for your mother in October Heather, it sounds like she deserves it too.

I might wait until ds goes back to school as I think the Senco has some documentation from education or one of ds OT's to say he needs transport when going out on trips out. I know there's only 3 of them in his year that they have to get a taxi for any outings as walking is difficult for all of them, maybe this might assist the decision making but it means we will just have to manage over the holidays without.
My mum still has my dads blue badge... she's never used it though(Aside from the fact she wouldn't she rarely goes out in the car now) infact she keeps it in the house rather than the car, she just hasn't been able to part with it.. might seem silly to some, but i guess like you its sentimental.

I think everyone is aware the scheme is abused, and there are people who need a blue badge and don't get one and people who have one but probably don't really need it. Or even worse people who just park in disabled bays because the feel like it / can't be ##### to walk a little bit further.

I once witnessed a a very heated argument outside Tesco because a mother with a baby had parked in a disabled bay, it got so heated security was called to calm things down.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 12, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by WickedPlans View Post
Sorry but I disagree. My boys used to have a bagde but as I don't drive, we always went out in our carer's car. We have had numerous different carers so if the badge had been attached to the car then we would not have been able to use it.
It doesn't stop the carers who still use the disabled bays when they don't have the disabled person with them.
However, abuse of badges or disabled parking spaces makes my blood boil too.

High rate mobility DLA means automatic qualification for a blue badge. For those over the age of 65 who do not claim DLA, it IS based on medical need. As High rate mobility DLA is already awarded on medical need, it does make complete sense to link the two.
However, many people on Low rate mobility DLA used to qualify and they are generally the ones who have been refused following the reforms.

The guidance notes are here
Pay particular attention to pages 19-21 as they cover the criteria.
You have to be virtually unable to walk or at risk of serious deterioration to your health requiring medical intervention, if you did walk.
Conditions like Autism, ADHD, Crohns, ME etc do not qualify unless they already get high rate mobility DLA.
Again I guess this is down to where you live. Here in Cornwall you need the free tax disc along with the blue badge or an adapted vehicle to park for free. I just think it would show up more easily Whois parking illegally. Don't forget you would still need a badge as like in USA. Shame on the carers who are still using the badge whiteout the disabled person in. The only time I do this is if I am collecting boxes of pads for Beth at our health office. This is due to needing wider bay to get the large boxes in.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 12, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post

There was an article on the news this week about people getting IB for acne. Now this just sums the whole system up to me.
Old 2 Aug 12, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post

I know someone who, in his thirties, had a back operation. He got a badge & gets DLA. He's now in his sixties & still has both, despite the fact he does all his own gardening & decorating & can walk a very long way.
Old 2 Aug 12, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mainecoon lover View Post
There was an article on the news this week about people getting IB for acne. Now this just sums the whole system up to me.
Yes I know of a family who have a child with eczema (not particularly severe) who is on top rate DLA and has a blue badge.

Assessment processes clearly need to be looked at but it is hard to do this without inconveniencing or upsetting someone else.
Old 2 Aug 12, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by loadsapixiedust View Post
Yes I know of a family who have a child with eczema (not particularly severe) who is on top rate DLA and has a blue badge.

Assessment processes clearly need to be looked at but it is hard to do this without inconveniencing or upsetting someone else.
Very true. The way I look at this though is they are welcome to asses Beth the once as we have nothing to hide. I would object to them doing it again as she clearly is not going to get better.

I also think its about time the whole country followed the same rules to what you are entitled to. There are so many differences through the county to who qualifies. A very unfair system.
Old 2 Aug 12, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by loadsapixiedust View Post

I might be thick here but why would eczema entitle you to a blue badge ?

Going back along time but a girl I went to school with had terrible eczema she was literally covered from head to toe but she still walked everywhere and did pe etc .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread