Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 24 Sep 13, 03:38 AM  
Link to this Post
tee1
Imagineer

We've just done 2 weeks with Dad in a chair, he can walk but not far. Didn't have any ID with us but he had an ECV..

Now before anyone says anything he IS disabled and has kidney problems so rides are selective choices for him.
All the cast members were great and most gave him access as if he had a fast pass.

At Universal they were a little less accommodating but not bad at all.

We didn't expect anything from any park, and weren't looking for it either. We were generally just ushered by the Cm's to the front.
Great customer service tbh.
tee1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 05:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

I know of people who have said 'it was amazing having the gac, all 8 of us didnt queue for anything, like having free fastpasses all day'
I presume its this they are clamping down on
cpx

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
I know of people who have said 'it was amazing having the gac, all 8 of us didnt queue for anything, like having free fastpasses all day'
cpx
I bet the same said people aren't heard saying isn't it great not having to deal with major meltdowns because of standing in crowded areas for too long. There's nothing great about disabilities that genuinely need assistance
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
DJBenz
Apprentice Imagineer

DJBenz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It's the usual case of the selfish (and mercenary) minority spoiling it for the majority. Such a shame that people with genuine disabilities and special needs will suffer because a few unscrupulous people allowed their disabilities to be exploited.
DJBenz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
cpx
I also presume this is one of the reasons Disney are changing the GAC: it is supposed to be for the GAC holder and 5 other guests.
Old 24 Sep 13, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think this is a good thing. My neighbours go to Disney and have heard having the " who should hire the ECV this year" conversation! If you can't come back in a few minutes and wait in a much much shorter line then maybe you weren't really wanting to ride anyway? This way the system can be more closely monitored and made fairer.
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Sandieb View Post
What surprised me most about this article is the comments from readers. Not one of the 30 or so I read think Disney is wrong on this.

Maybe those that do aren't posting for fear of being flamed?

My only thought is that I feel for those who genuinely need the FOTL access, its a shame its been spoilt by those who don't.
I personally don't think disney are in the wrong. It is the people who have abused the system and have caused this change that are in the wrong.
Old 24 Sep 13, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by dvc View Post
I think this is a good thing. My neighbours go to Disney and have heard having the " who should hire the ECV this year" conversation! If you can't come back in a few minutes and wait in a much much shorter line then maybe you weren't really wanting to ride anyway? This way the system can be more closely monitored and made fairer.
This statement has no concept of the difficulties the approach could cause for people with certain disabilities, I would hope that people had educated themselves about the difficulties involved before making a sweeping statement like this
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenS
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dvc View Post
Will these changes affect those that hire ECV's. I don't think that they will as they don't use GAC.
KarenS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenS View Post
Will these changes affect those that hire ECV's. I don't think that they will as they don't use GAC.
I don't think they should.

Not all people in wheelchairs need/expect anything other than not to stand in a queue and many won't even ask for a GAC.

At the risk of causing further upset I think the number accompanying a GAC holder should be reduced to 1 + 3.

This was part of the problem with people 'hiring' a GAC holder so they could all go onto the rides.