Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 10 Oct 13, 05:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Here now using new DAS card

Hi there we got given the new das card today for our son. Here's how it works-
They ask you what difficulty the disabled person would have in the park. They then take a photo on a ipad of the disabled person before returning two minutes later with a card with the photo on it. You then sign and date the card after they explain the rules to you. It works by you presenting it at the rides where they write a return time on it of whatever the wait time is less 10 minutes ( NOT the fast pass wait time). You cannot present the card at another ride until your last ride wait time has passed so only allowed one ride at a time on card. Any member in your party can present the photo card to be given a return time to ride but the disabled person MUST be present at the return time to ride. There are no kiosks to go to & no one asked us about autism as I've read in other threads.
Hope the above makes sense. Sadly today at Disney was chaos for us with the card nearly all disney staff are confused over das and unsure of it. One cast member even added extra 20min to wait time on our card as they thought this was how it worked. Luckily guest services sorted it.

Not sure if this new system will work for everyone I personally think Universals disabled card with return time only if wait over 30mins works much better. Unfortunately Disney has not included this with their das.
Hope this info helps. X

To answer a couple of your questions the card is folded in half and is the same size as the old gac card. They are also trying to advise us to use the fast pass system more than the das. Card is valid for duration of your tickets so no need to be issued new card each day. X

Edited at 03:28 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 13, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by Hopscotch View Post
Hi there we got given the new das card today for our son. Here's how it works-
They ask you what difficulty the disabled person would have in the park. They then take a photo on a ipad of the disabled person before returning two minutes later with a card with the photo on it. You then sign and date the card after they explain the rules to you. It works by you presenting it at the rides where they write a return time on it of whatever the wait time is less 10 minutes ( NOT the fast pass wait time). You cannot present the card at another ride until your last ride wait time has passed so only allowed one ride at a time on card. Any member in your party can present the photo card to be given a return time to ride but the disabled person MUST be present at the return time to ride. There are no kiosks to go to & no one asked us about autism as I've read in other threads.
Hope the above makes sense. Sadly today at Disney was chaos for us with the card nearly all disney staff are confused over das and unsure of it. One cast member even added extra 20min to wait time on our card as they thought this was how it worked. Luckily guest services sorted it.

Not sure if this new system will work for everyone I personally think Universals disabled card with return time only if wait over 30mins works much better. Unfortunately Disney has not included this with their das.
Hope this info helps. X
Thank you for your review and I hope it gets easier for you to use.

We had the same problem in Universal once; the cast member added 30 minutes onto our wait time!
Old 10 Oct 13, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
How long is your card valid for?

Once the CMs understand it better, hopefully it should run a little smoother, but it sounds manageable.
I can see planning ride order will become more important.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 13, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Not liking only on waiting time at once. What are those that can not queue meant to do in the long run :-(. I hope they improve this
Old 10 Oct 13, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mainecoon lover View Post
Not liking only on waiting time at once. What are those that can not queue meant to do in the long run :-(. I hope they improve this
I think it's going to only be manageable if the current wait time isn't excessively high. If however it's 80 or 90 mins (which is often the case at headliners), then this is going to mean lots of bumbling about to keep our kids occupied during the waiting, unfortunately though too much walking is going to be exhausting for some kids and those that can only manage a few hours in the parks won't get much done. The only other alternative will be to have a drink somewhere next to the attraction but this means you won't see very much of the rest of the parks, and there's only so much latte I can handle each day!
Old 10 Oct 13, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Thanks for your info, hope it works well for you.

I am concerned as Emma will not grasp that we have to return at a set time, as another poster has said all the walking back and forth will also add to her stress levels...
My other 2 children won't be to happy either, as last time we used the gac for them to ride on the big rides Emma wouldn't go on, as got told it was acceptable to do so.. Now they will have to queue and Emma will get stressed waiting for them...

Hopefully November will be quiet so maybe I am worrying about nothing.

I can see there still be people abusing the system, as what will stop me saying one of my other children has autisim... Not that I would, just saying as that would be one way around siblings getting a card so the child with the disability not riding doesn't have to wait.

madhatter3 hat trick pre tripee april 16http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11091819#post11091819
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 13, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Mixed reports so far. I don't think Disney were ever going to please everyone with this but I hope as it evolves it will become less open to abuse and fairer to all.
Old 10 Oct 13, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mcplod View Post
I think it's going to only be manageable if the current wait time isn't excessively high. If however it's 80 or 90 mins (which is often the case at headliners), then this is going to mean lots of bumbling about to keep our kids occupied during the waiting, unfortunately though too much walking is going to be exhausting for some kids and those that can only manage a few hours in the parks won't get much done. The only other alternative will be to have a drink somewhere next to the attraction but this means you won't see very much of the rest of the parks, and there's only so much latte I can handle each day!
We only spend 2 to 3 hours in the park. Than will mean 1 or possibly 2 rides. I'm not happy enough to be bumbling around with nothing to do waiting to get on and then repeat the whole process. You can book 3 fast passes on the new magic band so why not for the disabled. I'm afraid although Disney hotel meet a lot of disabilities they don't meet Beth's, so will never pay all that many for us.

Originally Posted by loadsapixiedust View Post
Mixed reports so far. I don't think Disney were ever going to please everyone with this but I hope as it evolves it will become less open to abuse and fairer to all.
Until they ask for proof this is never going to happen. Yes those that abuse will not find this very inviting anymore but sadly ours that do meet it will lose out.

Thankfully America is a huge place with so much more to see and should we be able to afford to go, then is will be other destinations within the USA
Old 10 Oct 13, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for the info.
I watched a video yesterday, on someone being issued the DAS.
So I saw the card, it looks a lot bigger than the GAC-can you fold it in half? Looks like its designed for that.

I too think it can still be abused, im sure some people are going to write in their own return times.

we can still use fastpasses as well, so hopefully there wont be too much time in between trying to keep the kids amused.
Old 10 Oct 13, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Lil_Missy
Imagineer

Lil_Missy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by mainecoon lover View Post
We only spend 2 to 3 hours in the park. Than will mean 1 or possibly 2 rides. I'm not happy enough to be bumbling around with nothing to do waiting to get on and then repeat the whole process. You can book 3 fast passes on the new magic band so why not for the disabled. I'm afraid although Disney hotel meet a lot of disabilities they don't meet Beth's, so will never pay all that many for us.
Eventually Disney are going to be rolling out the fastpass+ to everyone so then you will be able to pre-book a few rides which you will be able to do without having to get a DAS return time.
Coronado Springs Resort October 2011 - QSDP Dining Report
Art of Animation October 2013
Lil_Missy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread