Old 26 Nov 13, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
The new DAS is so that people who cannot wait in lines,can wait wherever they choose elsewhere. Whether that be another attraction with shorter wait, a drink, snack, meal or restroom break. I'm afraid people in general, have got used to the virtual fastpass of the old GAC.

It is already being reported that the abuse has started by legitimate DAS holders requesting multiple DAS cards per family so that they can have more than one current wait time. Disney have not thought out this new DAS out at all, I guess they didn't expect eligible DAS holders to try and abuse the system.

It seems now, all you have to do is complain (whether disabled or not) and Disney will give out fast passes. This won't help matters at all for fastpass lines.
I'm glad you wrote that, I have a friend whose son is diabetic, more so when it suites them.
He is 12 and in perfect health, goes to boarding scholl miles from home, plays sports and can keep his condition under control himself but they class him as "disabled" when they want and seem to make a huge fuss.
i.e use his blue disabled badge to park near to shops, sitting near the door on planes and getting the old GAC card. When I asked why as he has no problem with standing in a queue etc they told me it was to cut the queues as why not they were entitiled to one.
I really thought they were abusing it, and then you see some poor kiddies severly disabled who really do need to use it for various reasons
Old 26 Nov 13, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
I wonder that too ^^ and also not a dig, but I also wonder why purposefully choose to go on a holiday where there is greater potential for queuing in situations which would make your kids unhappy, than other holidays.
I can only speak for my family.
My son is a huge thrill ride fan, so he loves going to Disney/other theme parks - this is why we put ourselves through these types of holidays/days out.
He can wait for a certain amount of time, which is why the system at DLP/Alton Towers/Drayton Manor works well for us. His ipod is great for keeping him occupied whilst waiting.
However, he doesn't like to be touched, so being stuck in a queue for too long would be hard for him.
We had no plans to go back to WDW anyway, but the problems people are having (and not just with the new DAS card) makes us even less likely to go back. We do plan on taking our son to Disneyland California at some point, but will take him during quieter times.

He has no interest (due to lack of comprehension I guess) in watching shows and wouldn't be able to just sit there. We never take him to the cinema for the same reason.

As for the plane journey comment - well thankfully for our family, planes are our son's number 1 'special interest'. There isn't a single thing he loves more!

Tbh though, I don't think a journey on a plane (or any journey) is the same as waiting in a queue.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 13, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
I can only speak for my family.
My son is a huge thrill ride fan, so he loves going to Disney/other theme parks - this is why we put ourselves through these types of holidays/days out.
He can wait for a certain amount of time, which is why the system at DLP/Alton Towers/Drayton Manor works well for us. His ipod is great for keeping him occupied whilst waiting.
However, he doesn't like to be touched, so being stuck in a queue for too long would be hard for him.
We had no plans to go back to WDW anyway, but the problems people are having (and not just with the new DAS card) makes us even less likely to go back. We do plan on taking our son to Disneyland California at some point, but will take him during quieter times.

He has no interest (due to lack of comprehension I guess) in watching shows and wouldn't be able to just sit there. We never take him to the cinema for the same reason.

As for the plane journey comment - well thankfully for our family, planes are our son's number 1 'special interest'. There isn't a single thing he loves more!

Tbh though, I don't think a journey on a plane (or any journey) is the same as waiting in a queue.
Thanks for answering Lisa
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 13, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by dismadbrit View Post
I'm glad you wrote that, I have a friend whose son is diabetic, more so when it suites them.
He is 12 and in perfect health, goes to boarding scholl miles from home, plays sports and can keep his condition under control himself but they class him as "disabled" when they want and seem to make a huge fuss.
i.e use his blue disabled badge to park near to shops, sitting near the door on planes and getting the old GAC card. When I asked why as he has no problem with standing in a queue etc they told me it was to cut the queues as why not they were entitiled to one.
I really thought they were abusing it, and then you see some poor kiddies severly disabled who really do need to use it for various reasons
I'm surprised he even gets a blue badge for diabetes unless there are other underlying issues.

My Dad had type 1 diabetes all his life and he only got a blue badge once his sight became bad and he had other issues like his heart.

And i agree he is the sort of person abusing the GAC, for someone with controlled diabetes there is no reason you can't queue, and i can't for the life of me imagine they don't carry some form of glucose incase his levels did drop quickly.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 13, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I'm surprised he even gets a blue badge for diabetes unless there are other underlying issues.

My Dad had type 1 diabetes all his life and he only got a blue badge once his sight became bad and he had other issues like his heart.

And i agree he is the sort of person abusing the GAC, for someone with controlled diabetes there is no reason you can't queue, and i can't for the life of me imagine they don't carry some form of glucose incase his levels did drop quickly.
I agree,
I'm asthmatic (due to allergies) - but its perfectly controlled.
I would not DREAM of asking for a pass for it
To be on the safe side I take an inhaler with me in case I encounter anything that sets me off.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 13, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JSP
Imagineer

I agree it is a surprise he has a blue badge for diabetes if it is well controlled and there are no other problems, my brother certainly doesn't.

It is a shame that the systems put in place to make things easier for those who need help are being abused by those who don't I became a temporary wheelchair user on my recent trip and although I didn't visit the Disney parks, we did go to US and IOA, several staff members made me aware of the things in place to help, and I could easily have taken them up on them, but my problem didn't stop me from being able to queue with everyone else, so we just got on with it

Being "disabled" temporarily was a real eye opener though, some of the things I experienced really amazed me and not in a good way some of the time.
Old 26 Nov 13, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
If it's anything like over Christmas it's a nightmare! Even the crowds in the parks were too much for DS, never mind the wait times. We made sure we were at the parks for opening.
Have to agree with this. Even though DS & DD are older and able to cope more with waiting / crowds etc., we still couldn't last long in a crowded park and at Christmas last year, we probably only went in for a few hours fist thing at most

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 13, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
The new GAC seems to have not been well thought out at all, if families are able to get more than one then surely it will be abused.

Considering the old system was never supposed to act like a FP and the argument was always made that it didn't work like that I am surprised that people are complaining so much about the new system. It seems to be trying to do what the old system was supposed to do.

I think the new FP+ seems to be causing havoc and really upsetting people whether they are onsite but limited to 3 or offsite and finding the times unacceptable. I do hope that Disney look seriously at customer opinion and make it a more useable system for everyone.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 13, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

But and I don't mean this against people with disabilities , isn't it the same for everyone when parks are busy ? If there are no fast passes left which is going to be a issue with this new fast pass plus thing , nobody is going to be able to do many big rides unless they queue for hours .
Where the system seems to fail some disabilties is that for some of us it is not an option to walk around for hours between return times. The other alternative of queuing for hours, whilst not an ideal solution for anyone, is not possible for some children on the autism spectrum without MAJOR repercussions for the child, their family and everyone else in the queue.

So in my opinion, no, it is not the same for everyone.

Not sure what I would do if I was in Disney's shoes, can't please everyone unfortunately.

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 13, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Is this just your opinion, or have you heard a CM say this?

I'm glad we have no plans to head back to WDW, from all the threads I have read lately.
No it's what was being said to families in guest relations while I was getting Emma's das card.

Also a friend was out there same time as me, and she got refused a das pass.. This was guest relations at magic kingdom

madhatter3 hat trick pre tripee april 16http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11091819#post11091819
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread