Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Ms Finkelstein View Post
miceage.micechat/allutz/al091812a.htm

If you scroll down to the part titled 'line kings' you can see exactly why the GAC had to change, and it reiterates how it was not ABUSE, but rather USE that caused the problems.

Di x
That is an extremely interesting link, as I have followed this subject with interest since DAS was introduced. I would say though it was a combination of USE and ABUSE which forced the change. Particular this quote - which I think showed clear abuse of the system.

"This process at least prevented those with GACs from just going around and around through the Fastpass line as much as they wanted, as a 45 minute Fastpass/GAC wait time is at least shorter than the two to three hour long Standby wait. The irony of a 45 minute line for people who freely acknowledge they can’t wait in line is not lost on any of the Cast Members from Guest Relations or Radiator Springs Racers."

We are very fortunate that our kids have normal lives, and I admire all parents who manage children with any disability. How you manage to get through the 9 hour flight alone must be very trying, and it must be hard balancing this and what is faced in the parks against the pleasure the child gets.

I have witnessed abuse myself, when a family had 2 young boys who were taking turns in the wheelchair, I saw them swap places outside space mountain, nothing wrong with either of them and they headed back in to FOL again - believe me they were jumping about - they did not need a wheelchair - and I was so shocked I never said anything or went and got a cast member.

However, once again selfish people who care nothing for those less fortunate abused a very good system for personal gain, and it got so bad Disney had no option but to change it. From the link above, it sort of also shows that they decided to do it quickly, which is perhaps not good for people planning and booking over a year in advance.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 14, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
bLaZeR666_uk
Master Dibber

bLaZeR666_uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Any system set up for disadvantaged people WILL be abused. The thing is that there should be heavy penalties for people who are not entitled for the conditions. Disney knew people were abusing the system and to change it is the easiest way to solve the issue. What they should of done is ban any persons for 10 years who had been caught. This would of been more effective way of controlling the abuse.
Old 16 Apr 14, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
In America, they (Disney) are not allowed to even ask for proof of disability, Disney would not have been able to ban anyone effectively, although I agree a ban would be an effective way of dealing with the abuse.

Even in the UK, we know the disabled badge system is widely abused, even although proof is required.

I will just never be able to understand the mentality of anyone willing to abuse something that should only be for someone with genuine disability - sad reflection of how our values have eroded over the years.

I was in Tesco the other day with the wife and our grandson, searching for parent and child parking space, and only then did I notice that there are almost twice as much disabled parking spaces than parent and child - are there really that amount of disabled people in society? Sorry for going off topic.

This lawsuit is bound to fail.
I admire all the posters on this thread who come up with systems to ensure they can cope and make the best of their holidays, and share their knowledge and experience with others.

I can hardly cope with MK when it's bursting at the seams - and I have left the park more than once when it's like that - I don't know how parents with autistic children cope at times like that.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 14, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Did you use DAS (if your son is eligible for it) alongside FP+? That would mean you wouldn't really have too long to go between rides. ie you could have your DAS rides in between your FP rides.

Unfortunately, it is Spring Break just now so a very very busy time for all of the parks. Best policy during busy times is always to get to the park for opening - you will generally be able to get all the 'headliners' done (possibly even a couple of times each) before the park numbers hit their peak.

Di x
Just wanted to say thank you, we got one at universal for today as queues are 100 min wait. So hopefully today will go smoother.I have three boys with ADHD(16,14,12) and two of them also asd and attend a sen sch. It has been hardwork keeping them occupied both on the plane over so they don't get noisy and annoy others or start fighting amongst themselves in the queues. I also have three daughters (21,12 and 4)My four year old is finding it also hard and having meltdowns and putting her hands over her ears laying down when she finds it too much. It has been a balancing act between them. The first day we just chilled at the villa but then done the parks as the older ones wanted to go but then we had issues with our 14 day ultimate tickets not allowing fast pass.We spent two days trying to sort that out. Universal were great but the parks there are very busy i do have to say.Disney was hard work in sorting the tickets out but did give us fast pass key cards until it was sorted. Hollywood studios wasn't busy and the kids didn't have any moments there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 14, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
brody-maddison
Imagineer

brody-maddison's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
If they don't like it, don't go!
Old 16 Apr 14, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by caz6 View Post
Just wanted to say thank you, we got one at universal for today as queues are 100 min wait. So hopefully today will go smoother.I have three boys with ADHD(16,14,12) and two of them also asd and attend a sen sch. It has been hardwork keeping them occupied both on the plane over so they don't get noisy and annoy others or start fighting amongst themselves in the queues. I also have three daughters (21,12 and 4)My four year old is finding it also hard and having meltdowns and putting her hands over her ears laying down when she finds it too much. It has been a balancing act between them. The first day we just chilled at the villa but then done the parks as the older ones wanted to go but then we had issues with our 14 day ultimate tickets not allowing fast pass.We spent two days trying to sort that out. Universal were great but the parks there are very busy i do have to say.Disney was hard work in sorting the tickets out but did give us fast pass key cards until it was sorted. Hollywood studios wasn't busy and the kids didn't have any moments there.
Good to hear things are going smoother for you all, when it's busy and hot the fun seems hard to find at times!

I would ensure you ask at GS at WDW for a DAS also, it should work for your entire holiday, then use it in conjunction with your FP.

Hopefully now you have the 'lay of the land' so to speak and can see what works best for you and your family and can adapt as needed.

Have fun

Di x

2 Go Mad in Bavaria 2011 - Trip Report Biergarten or Bust 2008 WDW Trip Report
Margarita or Bust - Son of Biergarten 2010 Trip Report
Ms Finkelstein is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 14, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by brody-maddison View Post
Thats the thing,they want to go,its just part of their sen issues.
Old 16 Apr 14, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Good to hear things are going smoother for you all, when it's busy and hot the fun seems hard to find at times!

I would ensure you ask at GS at WDW for a DAS also, it should work for your entire holiday, then use it in conjunction with your FP.

Hopefully now you have the 'lay of the land' so to speak and can see what works best for you and your family and can adapt as needed.

Have fun

Di x
Thanks, you have really helpful
Old 16 Apr 14, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
maznorm
Very Serious Dibber

I am sorry. I don't necessarily agree with them suing Disney about it but the reason that so many people love Disney is because they can forget about their problems, issues with their health, allergies etc. Disney has always been so wonderfully accommodating to people and that is part of the reason it is so popular.

Ok, so they are still within the official laws but what makes Disney great is that it always went above and beyond. Without that it is just another resort/theme park/holiday destination.
maznorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 14, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
Even in the UK, we know the disabled badge system is widely abused, even although proof is required.
I was in Tesco the other day with the wife and our grandson, searching for parent and child parking space, and only then did I notice that there are almost twice as much disabled parking spaces than parent and child - are there really that amount of disabled people in society? Sorry for going off topic.
The Blue Badge system USED to be widely abused.
It is SO much harder to qualify for one now. Of course there will always be abuse, but it is predominantly people abusing legitimately owned badges, not fraudulently claimed badges.
Generally, it is only supermarkets where there are plenty of disabled parking spaces. Most places, it is an absolute nightmare trying to find a space.

They absolutely love it. That's why we put ourselves through the epic task of planning and the torture of the flight. However, there are factors that make it incredibly difficult to cope with. With the right support to deal with those factors, it is pure joy and therapy.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread