Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 28 May 07, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post

We have used the stroller as a wheelchair card at all of the parks when we have been and I have to say the members of staff generally bend over backwards to help.
The only hassle we found was that having to dig out the card every 2 minuted when you wanted to go anywhere was a bit of a pain. I think they should have a more visible means of telling if the stroller is a wheelchair like a flag to attach to it or something as well as the card to make it easier for members of staff to quickly identify you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 07, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by lilzanna View Post
We have used the stroller as a wheelchair card at all of the parks when we have been and I have to say the members of staff generally bend over backwards to help.
The only hassle we found was that having to dig out the card every 2 minuted when you wanted to go anywhere was a bit of a pain. I think they should have a more visible means of telling if the stroller is a wheelchair like a flag to attach to it or something as well as the card to make it easier for members of staff to quickly identify you.
I'm sure I've read somewhere there is a tag attached to the strollers that can be used like a wheelchair. I can't remember where though

Caron
Old 29 Jun 07, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Hi,

We visited Florida in May 2006 and we used the Disney GAC card with our daughter who is Autistic. We have always used the fast pass queue with the GAC (this was our 4th visit) and not had to return at a given time we have always just gone to the ride using this queue. It makes our holiday experience much less stressful and all our family enjoy visiting Disney because of this. At Seaworld and Busch Gardens they have the system where they give you a time and you have to come back later but if it's quiet they usually let you get straight on via the wheelchair entrance. At universal they give you an all day fastpass ticket which you would normally have to pay extra for. We are visiting again in December 2007 so I am hoping things haven't changed as this would have a severe impact on our holiday.
p.s We have never had to produce a letter stating our daughter is autistic, although I have one just in case.

Edited at 09:39 PM.
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 07, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by spestell View Post
Hi I was interested in your post about the GAC. We have been to disney three times with out son. He has autism and does not do queues/heat at all. In the past the GAC has enabled us to go on to rides via the exit, then after the introduction of Fast pass, we were allowed to go directly to the Fast Pass queues without getting a fast pass ticket/time. Is this still the case then, or has it been changed and we will have to get a time to come back? This will distress my son as he will not understand that he has to keep leaving a ride and then going back! It will be a different experience for us this time as he is now more of an adult at 16 and over 6ft tall. He will not use wheel chair now as he says hes too big, but I am worried about peoples reaction as obviously he looks "normal" and also not sure how he will take the heat walking around as we are going in July!
Hi there! We have taken our son who is severely autistic to Disney since he was 7 years old. He had a Maclaren buggy then, so things were a bit easier, even though Americans had never seen anything like it b4! He is coming up to 18 in December, and is now 6'5", so things have changed a bit! He won't have a chair either, even though I wish he would, as he is now epileptic aswell.The crew at Disney are very understanding of autism, and we have always used the pass to access rides, as Ben won't queue, and becomes very distressed. I remember last time we went straight to the FP entrance for Test Track, (his fave ride!), and there was no problem. We only had to wait a short time. I do feel awkward doing this, but we have no alternative. Ben would have a dreadful time if made to queue, and he is what matters.As for peoples reactions because he looks 'normal', whatever that is,we have fabric badges that I sew to his shirt which read 'Please be patient, I'm autistic'. Not that we should have to explain, but people do stare and don't understand, so it does help. I'm making him a t-shirt with it printed on the back and front too. Sounds wrong I know, but i get sick of people staring. It's hard enough work as it is.
Not been in July, but make sure you sit and drink as often as you can(water that is not beer!) and if it gets too much for him, ask at the First Aid station.Above all else, enjoy yourseleves, and know you're not alone, there are so many autistic people out there, if people don't understand by now, then that is their problem. Have a great time!

xxMel
Old 2 Aug 07, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
margy
Very Serious Dibber

margy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
i have much the sme problems i have three sons with autism who are 25, 23, and 21 and they also cant queue they become so agitated and become verbally abusive and thats when i get the looks from other holiday makers the GAC is a godsend we normally get to use the fast pass entrance i dread to think if they had to wait in line or even return to a ride at a given time they would not understand why they could not get to ride there and then
margy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 07, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post

When i went at x-mas time i had a GAC pass as i have aspergers n it was very useful n i intend in getting it again when i go again the members of staff are very helpful and if u need any thing like if u want to sit on front row for a show i.e fantasmic or something simular they will try and help u find a seat
Old 8 Sep 07, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post

guest assistance pass

We Used The Pass In 2005, It Helped So Much. Its Well Worth Getting. My Son Would Not Have Experienced As Much Without The Help Of The Pass.
Old 13 Jan 08, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Diggity-Dog
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thumbs up Take what you can get!

Easter 2005 , when we visited Disneyland Paris we were having a really stressful time with queues due to my then 10 year old son (who is mildly autistic and has some mobility problems due to dyspraxia). With a 2 yr old and and 5yr old in tow we were seriously beginning to regret our trip. This was the first holiday we had taken without the support of my parents who had always been great at watching the youngr 2 so we could focus on no.1 son.

I was waiting at the counter for a food order (DLP's fast food is not so fast!) and I got talking to a guy from England who commented that his daughter would be climbing the walls if she didn't get her food soon, he went on to explain that she had autism. I asked how she was coping with the queues and he said not a problem and told me all about the card system. On his advice I went to guest relations at City Hall on Main Street and the staff were great. We got a card and the rest of the trip was fantastic. We didn't use it when the queues were short but for some things it was a god-send. For rides where we could all 5 go on together the cast members were great and we got on Smallworld, Peter Pan, and Pirates all within half an hour!

We have been back to DLP 3 times since and each occassion used the card and it's brilliant. Do I feel awkward about it? Well, not now as my son (now 14) commented he feels awkward and struggles in many day to day situations he likes Disney because
"I don't have to struggle and (brother and sister) can have a nice time"

coming from a kid who rarely communicates any considered feeling and empathy I think that equals real magic!

I said take what you can get, you are supposed to be on holiday and enjoying yourselves... the whole family.

A million thanks to the guy in Toad of Toad Hall Cafe Easter 2005, your advice made our holiday!
Diggity-Dog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 08, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Great to hear that someone passed on some information that has made your holidays as enjoyable as they are meant to be.
Old 13 Jan 08, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi_Angie
Being a bit Goofy

That's a fantastic story. Hope you and your family continue to have great holidays.

I found out about the GAC online just before our first visit to Orlando and couldn't believe how much easier it made our holiday. At the time, both our boys struggled with queuing, standing beside other people, etc., but now we only need the card for the younger one. I always make a point of mentioning it to people I know who have children with special needs. Some of them have said they hadn't considered a holiday like that, but now they would as the GAC would make it 'doable'.
High Grove (2007) ... Bella Vida (2008, 2010) ... LA & Vegas (2009) ... Washington/Philly/NYC/Boston/Cape Cod (2011) ... AKL/Florida Pines (2012) ... Westridge (2013) ... AKL (2014) ... RPR/Yacht Club (2015) ... PBR (2016) ... POR (2017) ... HI DS (2018) ... AKL (2019)
Jedi_Angie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread

Tags
gac, guest assistance card