Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 21 Oct 16, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
lady emz
Imagineer

lady emz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
16 Weeks Pregnant - DS Diagnosis

I am 16 weeks pregnant and after a high risk of 1 in 5 for DS after the first scan and blood tests, we have recently received the results from our Harmony test (NIPT) to say our baby has DS.

Does any one on here have a child with DS? We have decided of course to continue the pregnancy, declining the amniocentesis as that would not change our decision. We are just trying to come to terms with it all, and try to prepare for our new life when the baby arrives in April next year. I just keep crying for the last few days as am finding the unknown hard, I am a planner! We have a heart scan next Friday at UCH in London so we are in good hands. I guess we won't know the full extent of disabilities or any heart problems until birth though?

We also have a holiday to WDW booked for October next year when the baby will be 6 months, which we deferred from November this year due to the Zika virus risks, guessing it will be a decision to make nearer the time as to whether or not we can go?

Thanks
WDW (We love split stays!) - May 2011 - POR/BLT, Mar 2012 - Dibb Villa, Oct 2012 - SSR/GF/DCL/BLT, Apr 2013 - CSR/WL, Nov 2013 - BWV/AKL/DCL/OKW, May 2015 - OKW, November 2015 - ASMu, November 2016 - BCV/Poly
DLP - Oct 2008 - SL, Nov 2011 - Cheyenne, Nov 2014 - Cheyenne

Christmas in the Magic Dec 2015
Will We Make A Rope Drop?! - Apr/May 2013
Mr & Mrs V's Wishes Wedding and Disneymoon - October 2012
Our First Magical Trip - May 2011

lady emz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I have no direct knowledge. I am sorry that you have received this news. I do know that like many conditions that there is a whole range and spectrum, in terms of both health conditions and mental capacity. For example, I was at school with a girl who had DS and she completed education up to A Levels. I have a friend who's son completed primary mainstream but did not go to mainstream high school. He is 15 and currently doing day release from school in a garden centre, so his education is being focussed on practical skills. I'm sure once you hold your precious baby in your arms, you will fall in love & find your way as all new parents do.

There was a BBC documentary a couple of weeks ago with Sally Philips, whose son has DS - this will still be on iplayer. you can see some real-life families on there. Best wishes x
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

I dont have children as you know but I hold my hands up in congratulations to you that you are continuing with your pregnancy as i dont feel anyone can know what they would do in this situation or imagine how you must feel.

Whatever your choices or where the path your destined to take leads you, you will adapt and make adjustments to your life as with any other child. Theres no point in dwelling on the bad points but some downs children are really on the ball and lead incredible lives that years ago doctors wouldnt have dreamed of

Big hugs x
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Again I have no direct experience but just wanted to say it's completely natural for you to be teary as like you said it's the unknown..wishing you and your bubba the very best,I'm sure you'll go on to have some wonderful Disney holidays as a family xxx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
wozza
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

downssideup/?m=1

Sending lots of love. X
Port Orleans Riverside/Cocoa Beach October 2018
wozza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

My daughter works with adults who have DS?

They are the nicest, loving, giving, warm, funny and most genuine people that God ever placed on planet earth.

Disney332
Old 21 Oct 16, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

I have no advice or knowledge either just wanted to wish you well for the rest of your pregnancy x x
Bazinga 39 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
lady emz
Imagineer

lady emz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by meboo View Post
I have no direct knowledge. I am sorry that you have received this news. I do know that like many conditions that there is a whole range and spectrum, in terms of both health conditions and mental capacity. For example, I was at school with a girl who had DS and she completed education up to A Levels. I have a friend who's son completed primary mainstream but did not go to mainstream high school. He is 15 and currently doing day release from school in a garden centre, so his education is being focussed on practical skills. I'm sure once you hold your precious baby in your arms, you will fall in love & find your way as all new parents do.

There was a BBC documentary a couple of weeks ago with Sally Philips, whose son has DS - this will still be on iplayer. you can see some real-life families on there. Best wishes x
Thank you, yes we had our scan 2 days before this documentary so we watched it, it was the test she was talking about that we had actually, just not for the reason that many people have it, we just wanted to know so that we had time to prepare before the birth

Originally Posted by BLDY&McGoo View Post
I dont have children as you know but I hold my hands up in congratulations to you that you are continuing with your pregnancy as i dont feel anyone can know what they would do in this situation or imagine how you must feel.

Whatever your choices or where the path your destined to take leads you, you will adapt and make adjustments to your life as with any other child. Theres no point in dwelling on the bad points but some downs children are really on the ball and lead incredible lives that years ago doctors wouldnt have dreamed of

Big hugs x
Thank you, I won't lie and it hasn't been easy, I still doubt now how we will cope, the impact it will have on Mason who will be almost 3 when the new baby arrives ... so many thoughts running through my head and another 5 months of pregnancy to go ... I need to get back into a positive mindset, we are still very lucky to be pregnant, some people are not so fortunate, and we are extremely lucky to have Mason who is perfectly healthy and I sure will grow into the best big brother. Just a bit emotional about it all at the moment ... not helped by pregnancy hormones either! xxx

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
Again I have no direct experience but just wanted to say it's completely natural for you to be teary as like you said it's the unknown..wishing you and your bubba the very best,I'm sure you'll go on to have some wonderful Disney holidays as a family xxx
Thank you, I can't wait to go to Disney as a family of 4 one day I am sure it will be more than worth the wait xxx

Originally Posted by wozza View Post
downssideup/?m=1

Sending lots of love. X
Thank you will have a look at this after work, can't get teary again! x

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
My daughter works with adults who have DS?

They are the nicest, loving, giving, warm, funny and most genuine people that God ever placed on planet earth.

Disney332
Thank you, that is what I have heard too, need to try and find some local DS groups that we could go to before the birth I think

Originally Posted by Bazinga 39 View Post
I have no advice or knowledge either just wanted to wish you well for the rest of your pregnancy x x
Thank you x
WDW (We love split stays!) - May 2011 - POR/BLT, Mar 2012 - Dibb Villa, Oct 2012 - SSR/GF/DCL/BLT, Apr 2013 - CSR/WL, Nov 2013 - BWV/AKL/DCL/OKW, May 2015 - OKW, November 2015 - ASMu, November 2016 - BCV/Poly
DLP - Oct 2008 - SL, Nov 2011 - Cheyenne, Nov 2014 - Cheyenne

Christmas in the Magic Dec 2015
Will We Make A Rope Drop?! - Apr/May 2013
Mr & Mrs V's Wishes Wedding and Disneymoon - October 2012
Our First Magical Trip - May 2011

lady emz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
charleion
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Didn't want to read and run, sending love and well wishes x
Old 21 Oct 16, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

I've no direct experience either, but wanted to say how sorry I am for your news and also to say how much I admire your attitude. You sound like a lovely, caring family and this baby will be loved and cherished.
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List