Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 27 Oct 16, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Congratulations on baby number two. Can't offer any help but just wanted to say you may have a few challenging times ahead as with any child, but with lovely parents, and Mason as a brother you will be one big happy family. x
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 16, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
karalma
Imagineer

Congratulations. I don't have any experience of parenting a child with DS but have worked with a lot of young people with DS. Some of their issues are the same as other young people but generally they have been very funny and happy young people that I have worked with. I do follow a family on Facebook that have 2 gorgeous boys who have DS. This may help you if you have questions: facebook/ollieandcameron/.

Good luck with your pregnancy.
karalma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 16, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
shepsy77
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

Congratulations! I don't have a child with a disability but I do have experience of working with children with learning disabilities and am currently training to be a LD nurse.
I have never met a person with DS who isn't utterly charming! They have an intuitive kindness that radiates from them and is contagious. As others have said, your child will need more support but he/she will lead a happy and fulfilling life (which, as a parent, is all we want for our kids surely?)
Yes, there will be challenges but in a way you are blessed because you will have an idea of those challenges before they arise thus preparing yourself.
No one is "perfect" and nobody has the "perfect" child but I imagine DS parents up and down the country would say their child is pretty close to it.
You seem like a lovely family and I hope that in a few months when you are cuddling your pride and joy you look back on these supportive messages and think "they were all right :-)"
shepsy77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 16, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Dreambelieve
Getting to know the DIBB

Congratulations! You have made a wonderful decision which I really admire. My son has autism and severe learning difficulties, we have found out what life is all about through the lessons we've learned and feel privileged to have him in our lives. There are huge networks of support especially from other parents and I'm sure you and your family will thrive xx
Old 28 Oct 16, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
floridaphil
Very Serious Dibber

Sorry, another with no direct experience of raising a child with DS but I have crossed paths with quite a few kids and adults with the condition and I find them to be VSPs, Very Special People. Best wishes 👍
floridaphil is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 16, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I've no direct experience either but would just like to wish you well for the rest of your pregnancy. X

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 16, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This must have been a big shock for you and I admire your decision, you are clearly wonderful parents and Mason will be a fabulous big brother, sending you hugs and best wishes xx

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 16, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I am sure Mason will be a fantastic big brother, children are wonderful usually in these circumstances, much better than most 'grown ups'!

Your post brought a tear to my eyes, I want to wish you all the best for your pregnancy, and for your future together as a very special family xxx

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
This is a good website

futureofdowns/
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 16, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy and what a difficult decision to have to make. I don't have any specific personal experience with DS but my youngest son has autism and I work with adults with a learning disability. My advice is this. Your life will be different from how you planned but different is not always a bad thing. I have made some amazing friends that I never would have met if my son had not had autism. Don't get me wrong, I have also lost a lot of friends because of my son's disability too but to be honest if they don't stick by you when times are tough are they really friends at all?
Someone asked me a while ago if I had the option to flick a switch and "cure" my son of autism would I and I found it very difficult to answer. If I am honest for him and his future I would but for me? Why would I want to change a boy who is funny, bright, loyal, never lies and is basically one of the nicest human beings I have ever met. In many ways he is the perfect son and has been far easier through his teenage years than my "normal" son. That said, we have had a lot of tough battles to get him the education he needs and the help he needs.
I truly believe I am a stronger, more patient and better person from having a son with a disability. My only guilt has been the impact on my older son who has had to put up with a lot of ridicule over the years about his younger brother and a lot of my attention has been focussed on my younger son and not him. This is something I will always feel guilty about (typical bad parent guilt pangs we all have) but again my elder son is far more tolerant and caring than most of his peers and he understands how lucky he is to have all the opportunities he does.