Notices
Intro's and Welcomes Introduce yourself and be welcomed into our community.

Old 22 Jan 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Newbie - Please be gentle :D

Hi everyone.

I am starting to plan our first Disney Holiday, and I have NO idea where to start
I need to get 4 adults and 4 kids to Orlando in september (controversial!)
give them all shelter for a fortnight, gain access to as many parks as money will allow, possibly feed them if they behave, and then get them home again!

I came across the dibb online and it looks like an amazing resource that I expect will keep me busy for the next few months

Anyway, hi, looking forward to chatting with you all

Sharon (Disneyella)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Hiya Sharon, I can imagine it can be quite daunting if you don't know where to start. The guidebook and info on here can probably be useful, as well as generally reading through a few threads when they take your fancy.

There are two options mainly: package (Virgin, Thomson, Thomas Cook, Charter Travel to name a few) or DIY. If the latter you need to think about:

1. Flights - skyscanner is a good tool as an indicator (you are likely to have to check Thomson and Thomas Cook websites directly though), indirect will be cheaper but more inconvenient.

2.Tickets - check sites like Attraction Tickets Direct (other companies named in the banner under that section on here). Don't try and do too much for your first time. With Disney you could easily fill 2 weeks without even looking at the other parks by the time you take some time to chill out / shop etc. Plan at least one day and one night in the theme parks.

3. Accommodation - where to start? Do you want hotel rooms? Do you want your own space? A villa will probably be the most cost effective, loads available and again Dibbers rent on here.

4. Car hire - you don't need this, could rely on taxis and public transport but it is likely to be more cost effective given your number travelling. Just don't forget to factor the parking charges of $20-25 per day into your spends. Make sure you pick a car big enough to house you all PLUS bags for the airport runs. And make sure you get insurance (packages mentioned above sometimes come with a 'free car' but this doesn't include insurance).

Have fun planning - its amazing and addictive!
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
candycat75
Imagineer

candycat75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi and welcome
Old 28 Jan 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

Hello and welcome! Exciting times and planning ahead. Rest assured there are lots of super helpful very knowledgeable peeps on The Dibb. They never fail to surprise me with the breadth of their knowledge!
Have a think about what you want to do, and as someone else has said if you’re only going for 2 weeks DONT buy tickets for everything as you’ll struggle to fit it all in. Be selective. Depending upon the ages of the children I may even be tempted to ‘just’ do either Disney or Universal/sea world. Where do you want to fly from? Are you direct flight only, or would you be prepared to fly indirect to save some cash?
There are lots of accommodation options hotel, villas, condos/apartments and there will be something to suit tastes and budgets. We tend to DIY so book accommodation separately, then often a BA flydrive since you can pay a deposit to secure' and the car has all the necessary insurances. Others will prefer a package eg Tui, Virgin etc. For September out of school holidays I’d definitely price up both options. Good luck planning.
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Welcome. For a party of 8 I too would go for the DIY and Villa route with Hire Car. It just gives you freedom to do what you want when you want in my view. Flights depend on where you are and ages of the kids - being up in Scotland, we are used to indirect as we go in November so rare there are any direct options. Going indirect can be inconvenient if flight times are not perfect and if kids are of an age where patience is not their forte!
If doing DIY, then sign up to likes of Quidco or Top Cashback as there are some savings to be made on components of the holiday incl airport parking, hire car, travel insurance etc.
You can use the Villa thread on here to check availability from Dibb Owners and prices and there is a villa map too with their locations. Skyscanner, Netflights etc for flights. ENJOY!
If you prefer a package then I will leave that to others as we've always been DIY Villa.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by thefergies View Post
Welcome. For a party of 8 I too would go for the DIY and Villa route with Hire Car. It just gives you freedom to do what you want when you want in my view. Flights depend on where you are and ages of the kids - being up in Scotland, we are used to indirect as we go in November so rare there are any direct options. Going indirect can be inconvenient if flight times are not perfect and if kids are of an age where patience is not their forte!
If doing DIY, then sign up to likes of Quidco or Top Cashback as there are some savings to be made on components of the holiday incl airport parking, hire car, travel insurance etc.
You can use the Villa thread on here to check availability from Dibb Owners and prices and there is a villa map too with their locations. Skyscanner, Netflights etc for flights. ENJOY!
If you prefer a package then I will leave that to others as we've always been DIY Villa.

In addition to research on here, I found that the Brits Guide book and the Orlando Map by Steve Munns - orlandomaps/ were invaluable too for getting your bearings, identifying restaurants, shops etc.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mapman's map is well worth getting and I suggest you also look on Google Earth to get an idea of main routes around the area. Although driving is fairly easy, as the roads are big. You have come to the right forum for Orlando.

Don't overbook the parks, do can't possibly fit it all in on the first visit! Better to do fewer parks and see them properly.