Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 30 Mar 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

DCL. How Much!?!? Deals to be had?

As per the title. I have just had a little look a DCL with a thought of adding 3 or 4 night cruise onto our Florida trip in July 2020.

Now, I know cruises aren't cheap. I have been with Royal Caribbean a few times from both Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I have just been pricing up a 3 night cruise with DCL from Port Canaveral and had to shut the laptop quickly before my eyes bled.

I think the date was 24/07/20. Admittedly there are 5 of us. DW, DD18, DD5 and DS3 and I. Three nights either with or without a balcony (not sure I'd cruise without a balcony) are way over £4k. I am pretty tight but I can't get my head around that being even close to good value. (I've paid way less that than for 7 nt all inclusive stays at Sandals in a suite with a Butler!).

I have submitted a request for a quote from a US company that I saw recommended on here but am I likely to see significant differences to this price through others or during sales? If not I think I'll bin the idea as a non starter or now
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

DCL are expensive but tend to include more than other lines eg soda is free and easily available to everyone not only available at the bar and chargeable without a drinks package. The fact you need room enough for 5 certainly isn't helping as the cheapest cabins aren't an option. I am confused by your Sandals comparison though as that was obviously for 2 only.

It might be worth looking at 2 smaller cabins especially as your oldest is 18. Many families book a balcony room and then an inside one across the hall instead of 1 large room.
Old 30 Mar 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Ah ok I’ll see if 2 cabins works out any better. Yes, I agree the comparison with sandals isn’t an accurate one although it was for almost two and a half times the length of stay for the two of us and included a lot more.

I will also look at RCI to see what they are like in comparison. From memory that would have to be two cabins also.

I think I was in shock. I nearly fell out of my chair when the price came up.

Having read the sticky now I’m am guessing sales are unlikely for summer 2020?
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

DLC is not worth that !

Keep looking
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We had a wonderful week on the Magic (7 nights round the Med) for less than 3k for 2 adults. Booking now for Norwegian fjords in Aug 2020, 7 nights, 3k (again two adults).

Yes, other cruise lines are cheaper (although we have only done DCL so have nothing to compare with). But the Magic was amazing, like being in 'the Disney bubble' the whole time. Beautiful old world charm, great food and everyone was so nice!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Over the last few hours I have actually found myself trying to talk myself into it as I really like the idea. The wife and I loved cruises with the eldest before the youngest two came along.
I’m not averse to spending money on holidays but whatever way I look it i just can’t justify £1500 per night for it.
Maybe I’ll have to have a few beers and see how it looks then 😂
Old 30 Mar 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
The cheapest day to book is the day they are released. I booked for 30 Aug 2020 a month ago.

Check out the sticky thread on here, loads of useful info.

Worth looking at the European itineraries?
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi DCL is expensive compared to other lines and we haven't done DCL since 2015 for this reason... BUT since then we have done MSC & NCL and the last year and this year their prices have shot up compared to their 2016/17 prices... if its a caribbean cruise you're after whilst out in Florida I'd try MSC although they are 7 nights... DCL are a great product and our countdown will tell you we are back at DCL but only on the WBTA which is better value for 10 nights ... also if you want to do DCL with a group of 5 or more people try 2 inside adjoining cabins as maybe same price or less but 2 bathrooms and more space..
Old 30 Mar 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
The cheapest day to book is the day they are released. I booked for 30 Aug 2020 a month ago.

Check out the sticky thread on here, loads of useful info.

Worth looking at the European itineraries?
Yeah I should have been looking a while ago by the sounds of it but it’s only just come to mind. I’ll try and forget about it for a year or two I think unless a bargain crops up
Old 30 Mar 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hi we have booked 2 x interior rooms on Mariner of the Seas for a 3 night cruise this July. We go to the Bahamas and RC new water park island Coco Key. We are 2 adults and 2 children aged 10 and 15. We were on Harmony last year and had the same 2 x interior cabins. Everyone had a proper bed and 2 bathrooms were great. We have interconnecting door. We book with US travel agent. Paid $2400 for this year for the 2 cabins. Mariner was in dry dock last year so although it is an older ship it got a big facelift and has all the attractions the bigger ships have.