Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Can Retail Survive Under These Rules?

We are looking for a new Fridge/Freezer albeit not in an immediate rush.

As usual we went to Curry's to look at the models as John Lewis is a pain to get to.

I hasten to add I won't ever buy anything from Curry's but just check out the products and then buy from A.O.

Our experience.
  • Line up outside in the drizzle - No issues with that
  • 10 mins later we are allowed in. This store is the size of an aircraft hanger! There was at the most 10 people in there!
  • Started looking at the fridge/freezers, opening the doors, trying the shelves for strength, are the handles robust etc

Then spotted signs everywhere - Do Not Touch Products!

So we left.

What the heck is the point of opening a store if you cant check things out? We had our hand sanitizer and they could have supplied gloves if they wished.
I accept there is a risk but for goodness sake life is a risk. I applaud most stores but if Curry's and others carry on like this they will be gone

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_O
Imagineer

I was queueing up for Laura Ashley closing down the sale other day. Got to the front after 45 mins and they were telling people (who were quite obviously married/living together) that they would have to social distance... what is that about?
Anyway, I think shops will now struggle more then they would have done now that masks are mandatory. I will just stay at home and shop online.

My husband bought a jacket the other day and at the till the told him that if he wanted to return it, he could... but not for the next 6 months!

Edited at 08:08 AM.
Mrs_O is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
I was queueing up for Laura Ashley closing down the sale other day. Got to the front after 45 mins and they were telling people (who were quite obviously married/living together) that they would have to social distance... what is that about?
Anyway, I think shops will now struggle more then they would have done now that masks are mandatory. I will just stay at home and shop online.
We were lining up for the M & S Food Hall the day the Laura Ashley sale started. The M & S Lady said they were queuing up for LA at 5.00am when she arrived for work.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We ventured out yesterday to look for a new bed same issue
How on earth can you buy a bed without trying it
Now looking at mattresses with free nights trials so will probably spend around a £1000 rather than £2500 to £3000 now
Or stick with the bed we have for the foreseeable
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I only queued for 10 minutes for Laura Ashley the other day and felt a bit put out at that!

Retail will really struggle if it stays like this. Itís not feasible long term and as for not touching products or trying out a mattress, thatís just utterly loopy.
RachaelC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

We need to buy new high school uniform for DD for September.

We can order online and pay £5 for delivery for 3 items and then pay to return what doesn't fit. This takes 2-3 weeks to deliver or we can wait until end of July until shop opens. We need 9 items so £15 delivery, and that's if we just order one size of each item.

When it opens though we cannot try anything on. I did ask if I could purchase multiple sizes then take outside to try on what I need and immediately return the ones that don't fit 🤣
It's a 30 minute drive to the next town so not convenient.

We're slowly running out of time as potentially we're away in August too - assuming FCO rules remain the same for Spain.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I work in retail and its hard and I hate this, saying but it is the "new normal". All stores do things I think their own way so instead of all following the same narrative you need to abide by those store rules but at same time those stores have all have to do what they think make them covid safe to be allowed to open, some do more than others, a big multi national company might actually do less than a stand alone high Street store and vice versa. Store I work in we have a queuing system outside but if I'm honest it's not needed which is good cos you can't rely on the British weather and its not all undercover due to how much space you need to be socially distant, then again it's a sign store is quieter than normal with nobody needing to queue. In our store you are met by a door greeter who asks you to sanitise your hands and offers you gloves and a disposable face mask if you would like them, it isn't compulsory, staff can wear them too again not compulsory. You can touch products, you can try on shoes as long as you wear a disposable pop sock provided or you have socks on, you can't try clothes on yet and fitting rooms are still closed. There are hand sanitizer stations all around store, we have capacity for a lot of people even with social distancing but the figure we have also has to include the staff on shopfloor which is skeleton at minute. You don't have to go one way but you do have to follow 2 metre social distance, we have 2 metre grids on the floor and just one person at a time in that space. Tills have screens up, toilets are open and we have quote a few and one cubicle is open one is closed to maintain distance same with sinks, cleaning is constant in the store and we have hand held steamers for sanitising soft items. Honestly it's all a ball ache but it's what we have to do to be open. People are coming in and spending, home department is the busiest people arnt buying many clothes cos where can they really go at minute to wear em but people are happy to spend on accessories for the home, I think a lot of home improvements were done in lockdown. I work 10 and a half hours a week and these may be cut further, God knows how but I might be losing an hour but that will be on flexible furlough I think and 80% of one hour isn't an issue in grand scheme of things, lots of staff still on furlough, lots of friends instore gone cos their concession went into administration... There were a few of those😢, and to be honest. I think there will be more of those concessions go, selfishly I hope I'm not one of them but we are a team of 5 and there's two of us at minute in work. Edited to add we have extended our returns policy and returns that come back are quarantined for 3 days before being allowed onto shop floor.

Edited at 08:04 AM.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
We ventured out yesterday to look for a new bed same issue
How on earth can you buy a bed without trying it
Now looking at mattresses with free nights trials so will probably spend around a £1000 rather than £2500 to £3000 now
Or stick with the bed we have for the foreseeable
We bought a bed online from Dreams and an Emma mattress. The mattress has a 200 day trial but we love it ! Slept on it for a week now and very happy with both. If you can spend £1000 instead of between £2500 and £3000 even better !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

JoJo88's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I guess people looking round actual stores and then purchasing goods online is another reason they might not survive

They probably had a member of staff per customer if there were only 10 people in there, so could easily have followed you around and wiped things down afterwards.

I was in a card shop the other day and every single card I touched had to go in my basket, and those I didnít want would be Ďdealt withí. Of course, when choosing cards itís normal to look at several, and I felt guilty after a while so I stopped looking. My selections were probably not up to my usual standards - Iíll have to write a disclaimer along with the birthday message

I guess shops are doing the best they can, whilst trying to follow the rules. Fingers crossed the high street survives after all this.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We are looking for a new Fridge/Freezer albeit not in an immediate rush.

As usual we went to Curry's to look at the models as John Lewis is a pain to get to.

I hasten to add I won't ever buy anything from Curry's but just check out the products and then buy from A.O.

Our experience.
  • Line up outside in the drizzle - No issues with that
  • 10 mins later we are allowed in. This store is the size of an aircraft hanger! There was at the most 10 people in there!
  • Started looking at the fridge/freezers, opening the doors, trying the shelves for strength, are the handles robust etc

Then spotted signs everywhere - Do Not Touch Products!

So we left.

What the heck is the point of opening a store if you cant check things out? We had our hand sanitizer and they could have supplied gloves if they wished.
I accept there is a risk but for goodness sake life is a risk. I applaud most stores but if Curry's and others carry on like this they will be gone
To be fair though it isnít the new rules that are killing retail it is going in store to check a product and then buying it elsewhere online. I know weíve all done it though !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List