Notices

Old 8 Jul 20, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Any retailer and I include hospitality and pubs, that relies upon volume and footfall to make a reasonable commercial profit, the best example is Primark who have no online option, will really struggle until ‘normal returns’.

The fact is, the profit comes on the top third of sales, so anything below risks them not making enough to pay fixed overheads like, rent/staff/commercial insurance.

I fear the longer this goes on, there will be a tsunami of business going bust and people out of jobs. The end of the furlough scheme will see the initial wave.

As for not touching, that is ridiculous, we touch things in the supermarket, hard cash is handed over for payment and that must remain for those who have a cash existence, of which there are many in our society. Surely gloves are the answer, or hand sanitiser and don't pick your nose before you sanitise?

We have opened pubs, people touch the counter top, i saw one pub serving food and the server who had just come of the international space station, delivered the meals on plates without gloves.

Did any one see the opening of Disney yesterday? There were great measures that had been taken to minimise risk, masks are compulsory, there was a queue to the splash mountain shop for the last chance to get some iconic merch. In the shop, people were touching, putting back items, others were picking them up.

We need to draw the line here, otherwise whats the point. Sad as it is for all those not now with us and whilst we accept the virus is still with us, we need to balance the risk against the simple practicalities of daily living.

Disney332
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

I went to B and Q a few weeks back. Huge snaking queue around a car park pallet queuing ‘system’. Had to take a basket even though I only wanted a small pack of screws, then place it on the floor in front of a till and then retreat back, beyond a line. Lady then came out from behind the till and scanned the screws, retreating then to the ‘safety’ of a Perspex screen, whilst I was then permitted to move forward and pay contactless. Good to see Covid safety, but in reality way over the top it seemed. I can go in all my local supermarkets with none of this malarkey. Only reason I went to B and Q was so I could compare size of screws as I needed a slightly oversized one to fix my double glazing handle back on and had no idea what sized screw I’d taken out.

After realising I’d bought the wrong screws, I went to screwfix instead, ordered on the app in the car park, walked in and up to counter and paid a person as normal. Half the price of B and Q, a tenth of the hassle, and the same company!
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
VIP Dibber

I was in Peter Jones yesterday - first time since it reopened. Hand sanitizer and a now way system (confusing but I guess odd shaped building wouldn’t have helped) but no dont touch signs - if there was I didnt spot them and neither did alll the other shoppers.

Basically hand sanitizer on way in, choice of what I wanted in usual way of picking up and examining putting back or into basket, paid and left and sanitizer on way out. All very sensible, pragmatic with non of the sillyness, and it proves why John Lewis chain , again, will get my retuned business

Megaflyer

2020 is the year I decided to stand up to bullies and win
megaflyer is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi guys I work in. Clothing wholesale/ manufacturing it’s a disaster and if we can’t get things normalised the job loses will be enormous. That is on top of online shopping that is killing the high st with unfair trading with low rates etc for out of town warehouses.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Another one!

I have ripped out some shrubs that have had their day.

I want 2 Hebes. One for a tub and one for a border.

After Curry's we drove to a garden centre. Poor stuff in but I accept they are not getting the usual stuff from their Dutch supplier. Not their fault they are doing their best.

There is another one not far from me so I checked out their website just now as I may go there.

One customer at a time!
No browsing - what!
Toilets not open!
Please order online. Well your online shop says no stock!

Sorry not good enough.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Pharmacy here. People can pick stuff up, understandably they want to see if it will help with whatever issues they have - but we have to clean everything they have touched. It is a pain. It takes so much time.

We are a small shop, one in at a time - we already have a continual queue, there is never a "slack" time, so stock is off the shelf and unavailable for others till after lunch/overnight, and people whinge then about stuff being unavailable. We can't win.

Pharmacy will of course survive this... however we will be absolutely knackered (already are to be honest!).
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

My daughter and I went to Homesense on Sunday which is our favourite shop for bits and pieces for the house. The shop has been stripped out of over half its shelves and racking to allow for social distancing and the remaining shelves and space have hardly any stock on, so with the greatest will in the world to support them and buy something ( we hardly ever leave there without spending over £100 there is always something we desperately need :-) ) there was literally nothing to buy, we ended up with a plastic dog toy for £3. This just can't be commercially viable for them to run these huge spaces and have such little turnover, and as customer it was such a disappointing experience.
I think retail sector is going to be hammered the most such a shame.
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I might trump that...

Went to local tip. Queue to get in, numbers limited... ok

Parked car in bay, next to another car, whereupon screaming council worker came toward my car, saying i needed to leave a 1 bay gap between me and other car.

So, at our local tip, it would appear cars can catch covid.

When you are out of your car, its a free for all.

Go to Tescos and can park where I want.

Totally ridiculous

Disney332
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I hasten to add I won't ever buy anything from Curry's but just check out the products and then buy from A.O.
I'm going to say 'not very long' if people keep doing this
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Apprentice Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think if Covid was the only concern then yes retail could survive the current situation but Tom Morrow summed up the problem perfectly. Use The bricks and mortar store to view a product, use their time, space, their products then go online to buy it and save a tenner or twenty quid? I’m not saying this is right or wrong but I am saying this is more of a concern for me than hopefully Covid will be with regards retail surving.

Yes you have the same product from AO and have saved a few quid but then don’t complain if high street stores close down because of this exact behaviour. If you want the shopping experience of last year you have to realise that companies like Currys have overheads that AO will not Have such as rents, building costs for stores, staff costs for running those stores, utility bills for those stores etc...

Then to complain that Curry’s have a do not touch policy when you were going to buy online anyway is a little cheeky to me.