Notices

Old 8 Jul 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We went yesterday to Specsaves as DD needed new glasses (had her eye test done just before lockdown but hadn't chosen glasses yet), very well organised. Had an appointment, only a few people in the shop, all staff in masks. Given a paper bag and told to try on as many as wanted but put in the bag to be cleaned. Very impressed
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Really strange you should say that about Curry’s.

We need a new fridge freezer and our local Curry’s hadn’t opened so we went to one in Swansea a couple of weekends ago. Queued outside, a chap came up the queue asking which section we wanted. When we got to the front of the queue we were directed upstairs and then left to our own devices. There was hand sanitizer at the top of the stairs to use and then we were free to poke around in the fridges as much as we liked.

However, once our local one opened, my aunt went as she needs a new one too and she had the same experience as you Mr Tom. Someone went round and opened the doors and drawers for her, she couldn’t touch anything.

Strange it was such a different experience in each store.

Edited at 09:05 AM.
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Just to add, in my seaside town, the local council have increased car parking charges, by an average of 33% to 50%, to increase revenues.

On top of everything else, this will be the final nail in the coffin once called., ‘The High Street’

Brilliant strategy guys, Debenhams must be really celebrating.

Disney332
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
Imagineer

Claudette's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Then to complain that Curry’s have a do not touch policy when you were going to buy online anyway is a little cheeky to me.
That point aside though, it doesn’t make sense to have a shop policy of not touching the products. might as well just look at photos and technical diagrams in that case. They might as well save a bit more on staff and electricity costs by staying shut.
Claudette is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not directly related to this issue but Currys certainly lost a sale from me a couple of months ago simply because of their sales "techniques"

My Microsoft Surface gave up on me (to be honest I'd been disappointed with it for a while - it was a very expensive tablet) so I decided to go back to a laptop. So I toddled along to the nearest Currys and started to review products. I had a few things on my check list but, at 74, not really interested in all the esoteric techy stuff.

Anyway the first guy was pretty helpful with answering my questions and I came within a cat's whisker of buying and he left me to browse my short list.

Then along came a super keen young lady and spotted a couple of old dodderers to exploit. What cloud storage do I have? Oh that's rubbish. What virus protection do you have? Oh that's rubbish. You should buy these Currys products for only an extra £2,000 a week.

Immediate result - sale lost. Home to browse the JL site. Same price and collect from Waitrose the next day.

Mick
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
I think if Covid was the only concern then yes retail could survive the current situation but Tom Morrow summed up the problem perfectly. Use The bricks and mortar store to view a product, use their time, space, their products then go online to buy it and save a tenner or twenty quid? I’m not saying this is right or wrong but I am saying this is more of a concern for me than hopefully Covid will be with regards retail surving.

Yes you have the same product from AO and have saved a few quid but then don’t complain if high street stores close down because of this exact behaviour. If you want the shopping experience of last year you have to realise that companies like Currys have overheads that AO will not Have such as rents, building costs for stores, staff costs for running those stores, utility bills for those stores etc...

Then to complain that Curry’s have a do not touch policy when you were going to buy online anyway is a little cheeky to me.
Would you buy a car without a test drive? I wouldn't

Plus who goes from car dealer to car dealer before buying? I do.

As an aside the reason I will never buy from Curry's is their customer service is dire. Check out the threads on here spanning many many years.

The High St can beat the online stores if they try. John Lewis invariably gets my business because they price match.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

As an aside the reason I will never buy from Curry's is their customer service is dire. Check out the threads on here spanning many many years.

The High St can beat the online stores if they try. John Lewis invariably gets my business because they price match.
JL price match and you can shop through the estore and get Avios though for some reason my link through the estore to JL seems to not work at the moment.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Excited about Disney

We are looking for a new Fridge/Freezer albeit not in an immediate rush.

As usual we went to Curry's to look at the models as John Lewis is a pain to get to.

I hasten to add I won't ever buy anything from Curry's but just check out the products and then buy from A.O.

Our experience.
  • Line up outside in the drizzle - No issues with that
  • 10 mins later we are allowed in. This store is the size of an aircraft hanger! There was at the most 10 people in there!
  • Started looking at the fridge/freezers, opening the doors, trying the shelves for strength, are the handles robust etc

Then spotted signs everywhere - Do Not Touch Products!

So we left.

What the heck is the point of opening a store if you cant check things out? We had our hand sanitizer and they could have supplied gloves if they wished.
I accept there is a risk but for goodness sake life is a risk. I applaud most stores but if Curry's and others carry on like this they will be gone
Don’t even get me started with Curry’s,
after our experience last Sunday I definitely won’t be buying anything from there ever again.
Several items in the household have started playing up but we have struggled on as we didn’t really want to venture out but finally we had no choice.
We queued for 15mins then we were asked what we wanted to purchase, I laughed saying priority was a new hairdryer (smoke had poured out that morning followed by a loud bang) but we needed other items too.
We quickly found the hairdryer I wanted
and both commented how empty the store was, we then went upstairs to look at ovens (thermostat has gone on ours) There was only one other couple upstairs and no staff to answer questions. We went back downstairs to buy an iPhone for DH, we usually buy direct from Apple but as we were there we thought it would be easier.
The staff member who had been organising the queue outside came rushing over and said we couldn’t do that, if we wanted multiple items we had to go outside and queue for each one
separately - no reasoning with him at all so we left empty handed.
We would have spent over £3000 but instead spent nothing. Stopped at the supermarket on the way home and bought a cheap hairdryer, purchased the iPhone online from Apple and looking at AO for the oven.
Not a good experience Curry’s 😡

Edited at 09:08 AM.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

I totally agree about the customer service. Even if a product was twenty quid dearer in JL/ AO/Costco I would still buy from there rather than Currys because I know if there is a problem I will have no issues in getting it sorted rather than Currys who wouldn’t want to know. Currys are failing due to their own reputation of awful customer service.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Apprentice Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
That point aside though, it doesn’t make sense to have a shop policy of not touching the products. might as well just look at photos and technical diagrams in that case. They might as well save a bit more on staff and electricity costs by staying shut.
I agree, no way I would buy a fridge without a good inspection but the point was there’s was never going to be a sale. The OP already stated he was only using them and then complaining about them. Just a bit rich to me.