Notices

Old 8 Jul 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I think people’s shopping habits have changed. For instance, our local Tesco has been able to do away the queue outside. I went last Saturday lunchtime just for a couple of bits. Pre lockdown I’d have struggled to park. Saturday car park was about a quarter full, was in and out in under 10 minutes.
I think more people than ever have started shopping on line. And also as people have had more time on their hands they’ve got into the habit of doing smaller shops on a more regular basis, buying more fresh goods. I know we have
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
cookiebeth
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I also do what Mr Morros does, I go in touch, open assess the product and then see where I can get it cheaper (usually online). I am sure most people do the same. However, I agree with levtweeney in that if everyone keeps doing this then the option to go into a store to do this and buy elsewhere just won't be there. I need to see things first. Same with clothes, I would be forever sending things back! Stands to reason if its cheaper elsewhere. In saying that, I have really tried to shop local butchers, grocers etc since covid so will try to keep that up.
cookiebeth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Apprentice Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
The whole history ethos and evolution of retail shopping has been based upon, going in, looking, touching and then going out, and doing the same at a different store, before making a decision.

I rarely buy for the first shop I enter. In Law there is an implied contract between the buyer and seller of a product on a retail shelf, called the ‘Invitation to Treat’. There is no obligation to purchase anything until you get to the pay point.

It is not morally or practically wrong to continue this strategy in 2020, imho! even though the High Street is now up against ‘On Line Stores’

Disney332
I agree with this, very well put and if all was normal nothing wrong with this. I rarely shop around by the way, I go to a few reliable stores I like such as Marks and Spencer’s, John Lewis etc... Not that you wanted to know this

The issue for me is that shops at the moment have to bring in guidelines to be able to open due to Covid. As there is little guidance out there for shops on what is right or wrong companies are having to make up Covid policies. By the looks of this thread no one is happy about these new rules and I do get that. But these are not normal times and so if a company like MandS or JL say don’t touch then unfortunately I will have to abide by those rules.

Will it mean me never going back? No but I think Tom has had previously poor experience with Curry’s and that has had an impact on his experience.
Old 8 Jul 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
OMG I can see me doing that I’m my own worst enemy lol
Very glad to hear that!

Probably not my finest moment to be honest...
Old 8 Jul 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
I’m sorry but I did not say this. My point is I thought it a bit rich to complain about a policy of no touching due to Covid when you never had the intention of buying. Why go in their if you hate the place so much then complain.

I totally agree with the point of being able to touch something like a fridge freezer before purchasing it however if that is the rules and even if we don’t like them we should stick to them and not storm off. What if John Lewis has the same rules do we storm off from them and every other shop with Covid rules.

We cant help the Virus but don’t blame the shops for having to have Covid related rules.
Hmm, not sure where the 'storm off' came from I think the OP posted 'so we left'

I would have left too, be it JL, Currys or any other electrical shop. The post was will retail survive, not will Currys survive.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by cookiebeth View Post
I also do what Mr Morros does, I go in touch, open assess the product and then see where I can get it cheaper (usually online). I am sure most people do the same. However, I agree with levtweeney in that if everyone keeps doing this then the option to go into a store to do this and buy elsewhere just won't be there. I need to see things first. Same with clothes, I would be forever sending things back! Stands to reason if its cheaper elsewhere. In saying that, I have really tried to shop local butchers, grocers etc since covid so will try to keep that up.
High street stores have everything stacked against them now. Can’t compete with on line prices, often costs a lot to park. The one advantage they can offer over online is service and they really should be doing everything they can to provide exceptional service, but sadly in many cases they don’t. If I knew I was going to get excellent service I’d happily pay an extra tenner over online prices
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Think we all have had bad customer service at Curry's. I know I have on multiple occasions. Even there pay online and collect in store service is poor to the point I wont even use that now. It's the only shop I now purposely avoid visiting if I need electrical items.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

[QUOTE=mick;14567874]Not directly related to this issue but Currys certainly lost a sale from me a couple of months ago simply because of their sales "techniques"

My Microsoft Surface gave up on me (to be honest I'd been disappointed with it for a while - it was a very expensive tablet) so I decided to go back to a laptop. So I toddled along to the nearest Currys and started to review products. I had a few things on my check list but, at 74, not really interested in all the esoteric techy stuff.

Anyway the first guy was pretty helpful with answering my questions and I came within a cat's whisker of buying and he left me to browse my short list.

Then along came a super keen young lady and spotted a couple of old dodderers to exploit. What cloud storage do I have? Oh that's rubbish. What virus protection do you have? Oh that's rubbish. You should buy these Currys products for only an extra £2,000 a week.

Immediate result - sale lost. Home to browse the JL site. Same price and collect from Waitrose the next day.

Our local curry’s used to be well known for this , preying on older customers my husband used to go with my parents to prevent it ( until they discovered AO)
Both of us went to buy a TV once and they insisted it was only in stock in Cardiff .. hey ho we say only an hour to Cardiff .. suddenly they find one in the stock room
We have had issues with curry’s before so also choose AO now
Have seen the “ let’s rip off the olders plenty of times there “
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
unidentified
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I went to B and Q a few weeks back. Had to take a basket even though I only wanted a small pack of screws, then place it on the floor in front of a till and then retreat back, beyond a line. Lady then came out from behind the till and scanned the screws, retreating then to the ‘safety’ of a Perspex screen, whilst I was then permitted to move forward and pay contactless. Good to see Covid safety, but in reality way over the top it seemed.
All sounds very safe.

I don't even think there would be any debate about masks if they were all doing this.
unidentified is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Hmm, not sure where the 'storm off' came from I think the OP posted 'so we left'

I would have left too, be it JL, Currys or any other electrical shop. The post was will retail survive, not will Currys survive.
Thank you I did just walk out. I never said I stormed out but hey ho am I bothered.

My point is all about survival and the stores should be bending over backwards to bring customers in. If they put obstacles in their way they will be gone.

On Monday my car is in for a service. I will undoubtedly look at the new models in the showroom for a bit. I know they allow this and wipe down after each such viewing.

If my Son who is picking me up is running late (again!) I will walk through the City Centre to cut down his traveling distance. I will pop into the Lego shop to have a mooch.
Will I buy anything?. No chance, I wait for the better prices on Amazon.

You snooze you lose.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List