Notices

Old 19 Sep 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

Do many people have pre-existing immunity?

Interesting article in the BMJ published a couple of days ago. Showing the growing evidence that Coronavirus isn't so noval and many already have pre existing immuity.

bmj/content/370/bmj.m3563
Ritz is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Buzz n' Piglet
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My wife is just recovered from it. If its as contagious as said, then why do me and our daughter not have it when we live in the same house?
Buzz n' Piglet is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Buzz n' Piglet View Post
My wife is just recovered from it. If its as contagious as said, then why do me and our daughter not have it when we live in the same house?
That's the thing, I know a few people who have had it but then family members they live with haven't caught it.
It mentions in the article that studies have found even though family members haven't become ill or tested positive 90% have shown a t cell response.

Edited at 09:51 AM.
Ritz is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Interesting read. I tried for 4 days, to no avail, to get a test as I showed C19 symptoms. Moved into spare bedroom to shield DH who is asthmatic but mild. Never felt ill just not 100%. Eventually all symptoms disappeared & I am none the wiser, but as above, as per BnP, DH showed no signs whatsoever!
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Buzz n' Piglet
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Interesting read. I tried for 4 days, to no avail, to get a test as I showed C19 symptoms. Moved into spare bedroom to shield DH who is asthmatic but mild. Never felt ill just not 100%. Eventually all symptoms disappeared & I am none the wiser, but as above, as per BnP, DH showed no signs whatsoever!

It's bizarre. My wife is a cop and 5 of her shift who spend most of the shift in a van together patrolling, all tested positive. It's wiped her out for the best part of 2 weeks.

Absolutely no symptoms at all for me.

As an aside, she was shielding for 5 months and back at work for 2 weeks then this happened. So shielding was a waste of time.

Edited at 10:03 AM.
Buzz n' Piglet is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

It's bizarre. My wife is a cop and 5 of her shift who spend most of the shift in a van together patrolling, all tested positive. It's wiped her out for the best part of 2 weeks.

As an aside, she was shielding for 5 months and back at work for 2 weeks then this happened. So shielding was a waste of time.
Shielding was a waste of time because she got it after ending shielding?
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Buzz n' Piglet
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Shielding was a waste of time because she got it after ending shielding?
Well yes as she has had a very mild reaction to it. Spent best part of 5 months hiding in the house to catch it within 2 weeks.

If shielding starts again should she lock herself up again when she has already caught it?
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
VIP Dibber

I still have friends that are shielding - the government may have said its ok to relax but their common sense has dictated Otherwise eg I am old (over 70) I am diabetic, if I contract it I will most probably die so they are still shielding to this day (Including my close friends husband so I know its not easy on him etc) - they will shield until their is a vaccine

Megaflyer

2020 is the year I decided to stand up to bullies and win
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Well yes as she has had a very mild reaction to it. Spent best part of 5 months hiding in the house to catch it within 2 weeks.

If shielding starts again should she lock herself up again when she has already caught it?
I wouldn't unless I was advised to.

I think you make a very good case for shielding if you are vulnerable though.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Buzz n' Piglet
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I still have friends that are shielding - the government may have said its ok to relax but their common sense has dictated Otherwise eg I am old (over 70) I am diabetic, if I contract it I will most probably die so they are still shielding to this day (Including my close friends husband so I know its not easy on him etc) - they will shield until their is a vaccine

I wasn't stating shielding was a waste of time for everybody. Clearly people are in higher risk categories and will still want to take precautions, I have relatives like that as well.

The decision to return to work was taken after long discussions with her consultant, who said she wouldn't have put her on the list but somebody above took a blanket approach.