Notices

Old 19 Sep 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Interesting and balanced article OP.
Interesting how Imperial have said we really need antibody and T cell testing to really work out how many have been infected.
Thereís pretty clear evidence now that a decent proportion infected never produce antibodies. Looks to be around 30%+ from the various studies, but thatís still a bit of a guess.
Question is do this group spread the disease or spread it much less? And how do they contribute to the herd immunity question? And should this lot be included in the tests showing a growing Ďepidemicí or are they a Ďcasedemicí ?
Old 19 Sep 20, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had an illness years ago that was so similar to the effects of Covid without hospitalisation. Doctor said it was a virus not a chest Infection so no antibiotics could help. It would be good if that gave me some T cells or some kind of protection but I donít really think so
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

Interesting report from Spain showing a number of things.

mscbs.gob.es/profesional...0_COVID-19.pdf

Firstly a lot more people who are asymptomatic are being picked up by testing.
(light green asymptomatic, dark green symptomatic)

The other is the importance of looking at regional picture. That it is not a national epidemic but one that moves through regions (something that we see in this country)
Ritz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Interesting and balanced article OP.
Interesting how Imperial have said we really need antibody and T cell testing to really work out how many have been infected.
Thereís pretty clear evidence now that a decent proportion infected never produce antibodies. Looks to be around 30%+ from the various studies, but thatís still a bit of a guess.
Question is do this group spread the disease or spread it much less? And how do they contribute to the herd immunity question? And should this lot be included in the tests showing a growing Ďepidemicí or are they a Ďcasedemicí ?
YT did you see my post on the conspiracy theory thread?
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I had an illness years ago that was so similar to the effects of Covid without hospitalisation. Doctor said it was a virus not a chest Infection so no antibiotics could help. It would be good if that gave me some T cells or some kind of protection but I donít really think so
I had similar last October, was told the same it was a virus not a typical chest infection which I would usually get at that time of year. Iím still not back to normal now.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 06:16 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
YT did you see my post on the conspiracy theory thread?
I havenít but have looked now- are you talking about the one about it being around for a lot longer?
Itís weird because sewerage surveys have now picked it up worldwide last year.
This is the latest one- picking it up consistently in effluent in Brazil since last November- medrxiv/content/10.1... 26.20140731v1

Spanish scientists claim they detected it in March 2019.

Italy though not until December (still months before first case).

No one is quite sure- has it come from an animal reservoir for example, or was it in people?

Funny to think animals near us may have had it for years and not just bats in China.

Edited at 06:21 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I havenít but have looked now- are you talking about the one about it being around for a lot longer?
Itís weird because sewerage surveys have now picked it up worldwide last year.
This is the latest one- picking it up consistently in effluent in Brazil since last November- medrxiv/content/10.1... 26.20140731v1

Spanish scientists claim they detected it in March 2019.

Italy though not until December (still months before first case).

No one is quite sure- has it come from an animal reservoir for example, or was it in people?

Funny to think animals near us may have had it for years and not just bats in China.
If it was around longer then many if us may have had it already, albeit in a milder version, which would explain the people with immunity.
There were enough if us with it we had a thread running on it for months, I don't recall ever seeing that with any other pre-covid virus.

Edited at 07:29 AM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
VIP Dibber

My grandson is currently coughing with high temp and has been tested. He lives with my son, DIL and granddaughter who currently have no symptoms.

Interestingly back in January my DIL was so I'll with a virus she was admitted to hospital and put on oxygen as her sats were so low but was not diagnosed. My son at this time had an awful cough and my granddaughter was poorly with a high temperature. Grandson had no symptoms!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
rudie111
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Buzz n' Piglet View Post
My wife is just recovered from it. If its as contagious as said, then why do me and our daughter not have it when we live in the same house?
Is your wife ok now?
rudie111 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
VIP Dibber

To my mind fairly large levels of pre-existing immunity is still the best explanation of why it seems over in some places (Sweden, and perhaps London and New York) as it has now gone through enough of the non-immune to have effectively achieved a sufficient level of herd immunity to stop it spreading widely (there will still be pockets of susceptible for sure - it doesn't mean it just disappears altogether).

I know others disagree.