Notices

Old 21 Sep 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Why 11am when most of us are working, it shouldíve been at 5pm like the other press conferences 😉
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Daisyb
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Iíve started to call Chris Whitty after Grima Wormtongue, the Ďadvisorí who dripped poison into the ear of the controlled King of Rohan in Lord of the Rings.
He is a real doomsayer, who only cares about this virus with seemingly no interest in the negative effects unrelated to actually having it, that affect peopleís lives so badly (social, economic, psychological, basic human rights, just those trivial things).
Totally agree with this. I canít wtch the briefing Iím depressed enough already.
Daisyb is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Why 11am when most of us are working, it shouldíve been at 5pm like the other press conferences 😉
My guess would be happy hour at their local from 5-6, so they want to get down there, probably with 15-20 mates, and make the best of the 2-for-1 on Fosters.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Adetrick
Earning More Ears

I like your balanced view but part of my point is that the government appears to NOT be listening to other members of SAGE - Professors Gupta and Heneghan regularly appear in the media asking for facts and balance in regard to government actions but are ignored.
Neither of the Professors you mention are members of SAGE.

gov.uk/government/public...ted-sub-groups
Adetrick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
VIP Dibber

Iíve started to call Chris Whitty after Grima Wormtongue, the Ďadvisorí who dripped poison into the ear of the controlled King of Rohan in Lord of the Rings.
He is a real doomsayer, who only cares about this virus with seemingly no interest in the negative effects unrelated to actually having it, that affect peopleís lives so badly (social, economic, psychological, basic human rights, just those trivial things).
I've started calling them Statler and Waldorf.
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Covid has become the new Brexit. Entrenched positions, each with their own group of experts to draw on and we won't know the truth for quite a long time.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
VIP Dibber

I am terrified of the outcome of this press briefing. I am sure it is being done to simply increase public demand for a second lockdown.

I posted in another thread, but this is the nationwide case data - from the Government website - for the past 2 weeks. It is completely flat.

Will what he says contradict this? Or is everything going to be based on more shoddy modelling rather than empirical data, and be based on comparisons to other countries again?
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
slightly serious Dibber

Most people have news at their fingertips these days. Alot of people work shifts and not 9-5. What ever time it really doesnít make any difference .. Many people missed the 5pm briefings due to being at work during lockdown . Itís my day off which is why Iím in ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
I am terrified of the outcome of this press briefing. I am sure it is being done to simply increase public demand for a second lockdown.

I posted in another thread, but this is the nationwide case data - from the Government website - for the past 2 weeks. It is completely flat.

Will what he says contradict this? Or is everything going to be based on more shoddy modelling rather than empirical data, and be based on comparisons to other countries again?
I suspect the data most in focus right now is hospitalisations.

Positive case data, whilst making for great headlines, isn't a great metric when we know that there is a constraint in testing capacity meaning that a number of people who believe they may be infected are unable to get tested in any kind of reasonable timescale, and some of those who are being tested are having to wait some days for their results.

The "empirical data" for hospitalisation of confirmed Covid-19 cases is anything but flat unfortunately.

I suspect a certain demographic will now say: "Ah, but that includes people who enter hospital for something else, but return a positive Covid-19 test result" which, yes, I assume it probably does.

However, the trend is still very obvious, given through much of August there were far fewer people entering hospital either for Covid-19 or with Covid-19.

I think it's difficult to argue that cases are not on the increase, although we all desperately hope the curve has flattened off already, and we can only assume that Whitty, Vallance et al are concerned at the data they have which may extend above and beyond what us armchair epidemiologists have access to.

Part One
Part Two

Edited at 10:29 AM.
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
I've started calling them Statler and Waldorf.
I prefer the "Pat and Chris Show"

Sounds fluffy and inviting. They could be either side of a roaring fire in matching leather wingbacks. Chris with a brandy and Pat smoking a big fat cigar.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List