Notices

Old 21 Sep 20, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I totally disagree with your statement on tuition fees. The fee is to provide degree level tuition to a cohort of students, there is no reason to beleive this is not being delivered online. The students may not like it but so long as the content is still being disseminated they have had the same tuition.

I do however agree that it is unfair that UNI's are enforcing contracts to live in halls when they aren't required because of a decision by the UNI to teach online. (I do however beleive that if you have signed a contract with a private hall or landlord then you are still obligated to pay for it, they are as much of a victim of these circumstances as the students)
As a university lecturer myself, I thank you whole heartedly for saying this.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Stardust5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
DS is going this weekend, this is his 2nd year. We had already signed the paperwork for his flat share back in February as we were told to try and get accommodation for the 2nd year sorted as quickly as possible after Christmas as the nicer accommodation goes so quick. He has just got his timetable - all online until he has a couple of seminars at the end of November, beginning of December at the campus. If only I had a crystal ball and could foresee all this happening! He also had his first year disrupted by strike action by the lecturers before the lockdown even began.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

We took our son to the university of Sheffield on sat. He moved into halls. He deferred to this year and has spent the last year working full time to help finance his years at uni.
Heís trying to make the best of Freshers week with alternative events as the Uniís are all online. Heís had a get together with his flat mates so far and tonight they are off rock (wall) climbing.
Iím sad heís missing out on what should have been the big uni experience of freshers week.
All his lectures are online too although as his is Biomedical science, he will get lab time just not straight away.
Iím missing him terribly 😅 his twin sister has started her dream job today too as a police officer for SYP so itís being an emotional weekend 😭😂x
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
5gotodisney
Getting Excited

Our youngest son is off to Cardiff on Wednesday, he was very clear that he didnít want to defer, I think after the last few months he is really keen to get started. Hope everyoneís children do well, yes itís different, but they will be with lots of other students also going through the same thing, I hope they all have a great time.

Re the online tuition, I know the students were used to lectures, and the online learning may not have been what they originally set out to do, and I do understand that some people find learning in that way easier than others, but, as a former Open University graduate, I would say you can get a good degree via the distance learning route, and if delivering the teaching in this way enables the courses to keep running, then, I for one am glad that itís happening, itís a really difficult situation, but better that then send everyone home and say come back when itís all over. Good luck everyone.
5gotodisney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Very Serious Dibber

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Whilst we think students here have problems, spare a thought for our US friends...

A good friend of mine lives just outside San Francisco and his next door neighbour has two kids both at Harvard.

He had just sent off the first semester payment for both of them (over $90k). The next day they acknowledge the payment and in the same email say that for the first semester all teaching is online and the campus will not be open so they should attend lectures from home.

He is a bit miffed at spending 90k to have his kids lounging on the sofa again for the next 4 months
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Tinks2014 View Post
My daughter starts her 2nd year nursing degree today. Having to go straight into placement she is feeling anxious and excited at the same time ..
Would like to wish all the best for students who are starting or returning to uni ..
Good luck to your daughter.

madhatter3 hat trick pre tripee april 16http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11091819#post11091819
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Tinks2014 View Post
My daughter has decided to stay at home and commute itís 40 mins away. She still has her weekend job and we dont charge her any board . student loan money has been used partly towards a car so no using public transport. She does have a bubble with 1 student who is staying there on their own .
I just have the worry of her driving now ..
My son has decided to do the exact same thing, he has a hr commute, but it's only 1 day a week
Good luck to your daughter.

madhatter3 hat trick pre tripee april 16http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11091819#post11091819
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

There didnít seem much point in deferring - no travelling, and no jobs. My daughters friend, who has taken a gap year, has applied for 80 jobs in the last month and not got one as yet.
The unis might be in exactly the same situation next year
I dropped my daughter off at uni yesterday. She seems to be enjoying it so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tracey1302 View Post
As a university lecturer myself, I thank you whole heartedly for saying this.
Legislating minimum face to face learning will help protect pay for staff and minimise job cuts.
Ultimately will also keep less popular universities remain viable.
If wholesale OU style courses are the norm, the inevitable outcome will be students, foreign and domestic, migrating to popular RG rbs and top rated specialties.
It will all be about branding, Oxbridge here, Harvard and other Ivy League in US, will all flourish.
Nondescript former Polys in formerly non-university towns will suffer huge consolidation.

If not challenged, university VCs will take this pandemic as an opportunity to embrace distance and blended learning, pushing through regimes which will never be reversed.

Minimum campus learning levels would also reduce voids and broken contracts, as students will require their accommodations.
Pino_Spetzberg is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Legislating minimum face to face learning will help protect pay for staff and minimise job cuts.
Ultimately will also keep less popular universities remain viable.
If wholesale OU style courses are the norm, the inevitable outcome will be students, foreign and domestic, migrating to popular RG rbs and top rated specialties.
It will all be about branding, Oxbridge here, Harvard and other Ivy League in US, will all flourish.
Nondescript former Polys in formerly non-university towns will suffer huge consolidation.

If not challenged, university VCs will take this pandemic as an opportunity to embrace distance and blended learning, pushing through regimes which will never be reversed.

Minimum campus learning levels would also reduce voids and broken contracts, as students will require their accommodations.
Our sector has been in trouble for years now with the increasing marketisation of higher education. Hence all the strikes. Casual contracts that are on a term by term basis are the norm for many early career staff, leaving them unable to really live from month to month, not to mention plan for the future. By the time youíve factored in a potential commute and parking, or travel, research, reading, lecture planning, writing, delivering and marking, the hourly rate is probably below minimum wage.

There are real fears that coronavirus will exacerbate these issues even further. Especially given online teaching requires even more preparation.

That said, I would hate to put any one of my students at risk by mandating face to face teaching. I know itís unlikely that they would be adversely effected but thereís always a Ďwhat ifí and itís that, that makes me sick to my stomach.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List