Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile Job question- Iím torn

Hi,

I do have a usual account I post on, but Iíve chosen to post on here in case any colleagues recognise me or whatever. Iím sure some of you will guess who I am anyway (hope this is okay).

Anyway, Iíve been in my current job 3 years and I started working from home in April because of Covid. This was a decision that was pushed onto me and we didnít think furlough would be an option at the time, so it sort of came across as weíd get unpaid leave if we didnít work from home (which turned out to be false, but never mind).

Anyway I started WFH despite having real issues getting my phone system to work (basically we use our phone line rather than VoIP) and I had several issues with the system going down.

Basically Iím now being investigated by my employer as they believe this was fabricated so that I could ignore calls (I work for a CC centre) and theyíve got me on gross misconduct, despite me explaining the calls werenít coming through... I have to go a disciplinary on Friday.

What should I do? Iíve already made up my mind that I donít want to work there now. Do I hand in my notice before the meeting? Do I take the meeting and run the huge risk Iíll be sacked and then risk not getting references and have all the stress a meeting brings? Or do I go to the meeting and hope that I keep my job while I find a new one? We could manage just about if I lost my job and I have savings, itís so hard to know what to do...either way Iíll be a finding a new job (and I am looking) but obviously the income whilst I look would help, but I donít know what chance I have of keeping my job (Iíve already been told I could lose my job).
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

How long have you been employed there exactly?
Do you have proof of escalating that the tech didn't work for you? (emails, call times etc)
Is your company likely to be reducing headcount?

You can resign before disciplinary but the disciplinary can go ahead without you. The employer could also say in a reference "resigned during disciplinary process".

If this is a first meeting it will be investigatory rather than disciplinary. You can try to spin it out to keep an income. But, if you have more than two years' service you can't be dismissed without sound evidence of misconduct.

Edited at 12:59 PM. Reason: poor attention to detail on my part!
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneydreaming_
Trying for More Ears

I was going to ask - what are they basing their allegations on? As surely you would have reported your tech not working.

It seems a very bold move for your employer!
Disneydreaming_ is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Originally Posted by Morganza View Post
How long have you been employed there exactly?
Do you have proof of escalating that the tech didn't work for you? (emails, call times etc)
Is your company likely to be reducing headcount?

You can resign before disciplinary but the disciplinary can go ahead without you. The employer could also say in a reference "resigned during disciplinary process".

If this is a first meeting it will be investigatory rather than disciplinary. You can try to spin it out to keep an income. But, if you have more than two years' service you can't be dismissed without sound evidence of misconduct.
Itís definitely the disciplinary sadly, Iíve had a couple of meetings before this to discuss whatís happened and that an investigation has been opened ect.

I do have proof that I escalated a lot of the issues yes, I have emails and various other things, but they are saying it isnít enough and that I didnít do enough and that it still looks fabricated.

Iíve worked there for 2 years 11 months. I do think I have a strong case to win, I just donít think Iíve got it in me and honestly even if I kept the job it wouldnít be long before I moved on.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fluffypenguin View Post
Do I hand in my notice before the meeting?
I can't give advice.
If it was me I would definitely slow down.
Don't do anything, don't agree to anything, don't say or write anything.

Definitely do not hand in your notice.

Is there a union representative you can speak with ?

Have you proof of phone line problems, such as contact with BT or suchlike ?

Good luck.
Pino_Spetzberg is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disneydreaming_ View Post
I was going to ask - what are they basing their allegations on? As surely you would have reported your tech not working.

It seems a very bold move for your employer!
Essentially itís come up that on call recordings customers are coming through, but Iím not responding to them speaking, even though I was and as I have explained to them, I have had faults with my phone line. My other half works in tech and even he says they canít categorically say that I didnít respond when I did, but they are saying itís not possible.

I made numerous reports and said from the beginning that I had issues, nothing was ever really resolved.
Old 21 Sep 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
I can't give advice.
If it was me I would definitely slow down.
Don't do anything, don't agree to anything, don't say or write anything.

Definitely do not hand in your notice.

Is there a union representative you can speak with ?

Have you proof of phone line problems, such as contact with BT or suchlike ?

Good luck.
I canít bring myself to go this meeting when it feels like theyíve already decided, I donít think I could take the stress.

I have a fair bit of proof yes, various reports to IT, fault numbers with BT ect.

Iím going to speak with a union rep tomorrow and discuss options.
Old 21 Sep 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fluffypenguin View Post
Iím going to speak with a union rep tomorrow and discuss options.
Find out if your rep can accompany you.
Pino_Spetzberg is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Find out if your rep can accompany you.
They can. I just donít think I have the strength. My mother is mentally unwell and because of this Iíve been struggling with self harm and thoughts of suicide myself, I donít think Iím mentally strong enough to go it and not fall to pieces and I canít face that.
Old 21 Sep 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Very Serious Dibber

Glad you have a union rep to help and I would take any advice they offer.
I would heartily defend yourself and ask them to show you what evidence they have of their allegation.
I work from home and constantly feel like everything I do is very visible IT wise .
If itís your phone line can you ask your provider to give you a list of calls ?
I really would not hand your notice in without another job to go to especially at the moment
Good Luck
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List