Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
#1
Floridatilly
Imagineer
 
Floridatilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 13
Mobile Diabetic drivers

Anyone type 1 diabetic and drive?
My daughter applied for her provisional driving license and after an age she finally received a medical questionnaire regarding her diabetes.
On the forwarding letter it stated that this form can take 6-8 weeks to process then a face to face medical could be requested and/or provisional license refused.

She turned 17 in may and been excited and desperate to start her lessons. Any other type 1 diabetes had problems with getting a license?
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
#2
KarenG
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Mar 04
Mobile

I seem to remember your daughter may not have good hypo awareness? But I may have that wrong. If so, Thatís something to be very honest about when she completes the health questionnaire.

I have never had a face to face appointment (as far as I know) but I would assume that DVLA would write to consultant or GP if she has given certain answers regarding her numbers.

I never had a problem getting my licence but that was almost 30 years ago. She will have to renew it every 1, 2 or 3 years for her whole life (unless the rules change).

There are things you have to do before and when driving, make sure blood sugar is over a certain level, as a minimum test every 2 hours (I think, she should check, I do it much more often).

If she has more than a certain number of hypos where she needs assistance in a certain period she will have to surrender her licence.

I have only restarted driving about eight months ago after stopping for four years for some of the reasons above.

Good luck to your DD
__________________
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
#3
KarenG
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Mar 04
Mobile

Sorry! I think the stuff I posted above is for insulin dependent diabetics in general rather than just T1s. But as you wonít find a T1 thatís not insulin dependent I guess itís the same thing!

Also if she is on a pump I donít know if it works differently, Iím MDI and control via FSL.
__________________
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
#4
KarenG
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Mar 04
Mobile

Sorry me again! This is helpful from JDRF and suggests she discussed with her medical team:

jdrf.uk/information-supp...-life/driving/
__________________
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
#5
scooby99
Imagineer
 
scooby99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04
Location: London
DH drives as a T1D; licence renewed every 3 years.
As above, depending on her answers re hypos, number of in x amount of time & whether she has ever needed assistance, the DVLA may write to her GP/consultant for a report or decline her application until x period of time without severe hypos etc.
If she has any sight complications re her diabetes, she may also need to go for specific tests, eg, field vision.
Not giving honest answers invalidates any insurance.

Edited at 09:22 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
#6
Floridatilly
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
Floridatilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 13
Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I seem to remember your daughter may not have good hypo awareness? But I may have that wrong. If so, Thatís something to be very honest about when she completes the health questionnaire.

I have never had a face to face appointment (as far as I know) but I would assume that DVLA would write to consultant or GP if she has given certain answers regarding her numbers.

I never had a problem getting my licence but that was almost 30 years ago. She will have to renew it every 1, 2 or 3 years for her whole life (unless the rules change).

There are things you have to do before and when driving, make sure blood sugar is over a certain level, as a minimum test every 2 hours (I think, she should check, I do it much more often).

If she has more than a certain number of hypos where she needs assistance in a certain period she will have to surrender her licence.

I have only restarted driving about eight months ago after stopping for four years for some of the reasons above.

Good luck to your DD
Thank you so much. Yes, unfortunately she has very poor and often no hypo awareness. We did fill the form in honestly and hoping that with her having a dexcom with the alarm it will go in her favour.

The dexcom has been life changing, a total game changer but I am still anxious about her driving. But she is so excited and desperate to drive.
If I am honest I will be shocked if she does get a license because her levels are so bad but I donít have to heart to tell her.
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
#7
KarenG
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Mar 04
Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Thank you so much. Yes, unfortunately she has very poor and often no hypo awareness. We did fill the form in honestly and hoping that with her having a dexcom with the alarm it will go in her favour.

The dexcom has been life changing, a total game changer but I am still anxious about her driving. But she is so excited and desperate to drive.
If I am honest I will be shocked if she does get a license because her levels are so bad but I donít have to heart to tell her.
If she has no hypo awareness it doesnít sound like a good plan to drive? Does she realise this? I would be very worried (sorry to be blunt) about her driving personally. Sorry again this is probably blunt but driving when having low blood sugar is as bad as drink driving
__________________
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
#8
KarenG
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Mar 04
Mobile

Could the Dexcom be set to alarm at a higher level so she can take action before she gets remotely near a low? (I donít know how it works)
__________________
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
#9
scooby99
Imagineer
 
scooby99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04
Location: London
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Thank you so much. Yes, unfortunately she has very poor and often no hypo awareness. We did fill the form in honestly and hoping that with her having a dexcom with the alarm it will go in her favour.

The dexcom has been life changing, a total game changer but I am still anxious about her driving. But she is so excited and desperate to drive.
If I am honest I will be shocked if she does get a license because her levels are so bad but I donít have to heart to tell her.
I think youíre only Ďallowedí one severe hypo within a twelve month period as a T1D.
I also believe that her GP/consultant are obliged to inform the DVLA of patients they deem unsafe to drive.
If so, with poor/no hypo awareness, her medics may consider her currently unfit to drive & wish to see an extended period of time with her on the dexcom & much improved control before considering whether to give a favourable response to DVLA.

Edited at 09:56 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
#10
Floridatilly
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
Floridatilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 13
Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Could the Dexcom be set to alarm at a higher level so she can take action before she gets remotely near a low? (I donít know how it works)
Yes, this is how we have it set. Its sends an alarm at 5 so that she can monitor it from there, if arrow is pointing down then she needs to take action. So the alarm goes off before the hypo happens. Same with hypers.
It is set like this to help re educate her body to start recognising hypos herself rather than relying on the dexcom.
It really is amazing!

You are not being blunt, just honest 👍🏻 My husband and I have had these conversations already. Her safety and the safety of others on the roads is paramount.
Its just sad because she hates being diabetic and this seems to be another hurdle to overcome 😫
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Disneyland News
On 21st October 8:51am
Disneyland California is the only major Disney theme park to not reopen after all the... Read More »
Posted in Disney Shopping
On 18th October 9:02am
Disney has reduced the price of its large soft toys by up to 50%. Bargains... Read More »
Posted in Disney Offers
On 13th October 10:56am
Disney has released details of their UK & Ireland Early Booker promotion for Spring and... Read More »

theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2730
CaxtonFX  $1.2702
Covent Garden FX  $1.2828
FAIRFX  $1.2635
John Lewis  $1.2776
M&S  $1.2548
Post Office  $1.2528
Sainsburys  $1.2703
TESCO  $1.2726
Travelex  $1.2673
Updated: 13:30 26/10/2020
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.0759
CaxtonFX  €1.0745
Covent Garden FX  €1.0892
FAIRFX  €1.0790
John Lewis  €1.0792
M&S  €1.0606
Post Office  €1.0583
Sainsburys  €1.0737
TESCO  €1.0759
Travelex  €1.0709
Updated: 13:30 26/10/2020

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now