Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
If she’s got poor control and little hypo awareness she really shouldn’t be driving until it’s under control
She’ll be a danger to others as well as herself..

A friend of mine has to have his licence renewed yearly , he’s a type1 as is his son who has just begun lessons but he has good control and rarely has hypo’s.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
I think you’re only ‘allowed’ one severe hypo within a twelve month period as a T1D.
I also believe that her GP/consultant are obliged to inform the DVLA of patients they deem unsafe to drive.
If so, with poor/no hypo awareness, her medics may consider her currently unfit to drive & wish to see an extended period of time with her on the dexcom & much improved control before considering whether to give a favourable response to DVLA.
Luckily she has not had any severe hypos since having the dexcom because the alarm goes off before the hypo happens.
Severe hypos are extremely dangerous and scary. I would hate to even imagine that happening to anyone driving.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Yes, this is how we have it set. Its sends an alarm at 5 so that she can monitor it from there, if arrow is pointing down then she needs to take action. So the alarm goes off before the hypo happens. Same with hypers.
It is set like this to help re educate her body to start recognising hypos herself rather than relying on the dexcom.
It really is amazing!

You are not being blunt, just honest 👍🏻 My husband and I have had these conversations already. Her safety and the safety of others on the roads is paramount.
Its just sad because she hates being diabetic and this seems to be another hurdle to overcome 😫
There can feel like there are many hurdles to overcome and I so feel for her, I had a difficult time in my teens with it all myself.

Is there any chance that she could work towards better control with a view to safely driving when she / her team agree a future point? I know that won’t be awfully motivating right now but just trying to think of a positive for it. It sounds like with the Dexcom she has a chance to really get on top of her control - lots and lots of luck!
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Yes, this is how we have it set. Its sends an alarm at 5 so that she can monitor it from there, if arrow is pointing down then she needs to take action. So the alarm goes off before the hypo happens. Same with hypers.
It is set like this to help re educate her body to start recognising hypos herself rather than relying on the dexcom.
It really is amazing!

You are not being blunt, just honest 👍🏻 My husband and I have had these conversations already. Her safety and the safety of others on the roads is paramount.
Its just sad because she hates being diabetic and this seems to be another hurdle to overcome 😫
5 or above is required for diabetics to drive.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you’re only ‘allowed’ one severe hypo within a twelve month period as a T1D.
I also believe that her GP/consultant are obliged to inform the DVLA of patients they deem unsafe to drive.
If so, with poor/no hypo awareness, her medics may consider her currently unfit to drive & wish to see an extended period of time with her on the dexcom & much improved control before considering whether to give a favourable response to DVLA.
Thinking about it. The medical form she filled in only asked how many hypos she has had in the last 12 months. We answered honestly but I do hope we dod not read it wrongly and it meant severe hypo. If that’s the case they will certainly deny her a license.
Her bloods have been low(Hypo), self treated. But no severe hypo (loss of consciousness)
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Luckily she has not had any severe hypos since having the dexcom because the alarm goes off before the hypo happens.
Severe hypos are extremely dangerous and scary. I would hate to even imagine that happening to anyone driving.
Yep, severe hypos are extremely scary; 43 years & counting for me as a T1D; from memory, just 4 severe hypos for me in that time.

Edited at 10:13 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
There can feel like there are many hurdles to overcome and I so feel for her, I had a difficult time in my teens with it all myself.

Is there any chance that she could work towards better control with a view to safely driving when she / her team agree a future point? I know that won’t be awfully motivating right now but just trying to think of a positive for it. It sounds like with the Dexcom she has a chance to really get on top of her control - lots and lots of luck!
Oh 100% We and her diabetic team are trying to get on top of things. He bowel issues have been causing extreme highs then rebound lows and so on and so on.
So with the dexcom and getting the bowel problem diagnosed is definitely getting things under control.

Its just a worry about driving. I was actually surprised to find out that type 1 diabetics could drive, even with good control there is still a chance of hypo/hyper, you could be poorly or excited/ upset which massively effects blood glucose levels.

All her friends are having lessons, some already passed. It’s difficult enough being a teenager. Difficult enough being diabetic, add the two together and its even more worry some.
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Yep, severe hypos are extremely scary; 43 years & counting for me as a T1D; from memory, just 4 severe hypos for me in that time.
We must have been diagnosed in the same year?

How things have changed for the better
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

43 years! I take my hat off to you ☺️
I bet you have seen so much development in treatment in that time. In just the past 11 years we have been blown away with the new things available 👍🏻👍🏻
The dexcom has just been amazing! I know I am repeating myself but it really has been life changing. To be warned of the onset of a hypo... just so clever
Old 21 Sep 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We must have been diagnosed in the same year?

How things have changed for the better
I have literally just posted that! How things must have progressed in 43 years!
I think you diabetics are so brave and amazing. 🥰