Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by baboons View Post
Nobody, absolutely nobody forgets that. It's just once you have done that, you needs less of all the other horrible things.

What do you propose as a solution? Magic?
I never said I had a magic solution to solve it, and I think you'd be pushed to find anyone, including leaders in the subject, who do, I would honestly say that I will be shocked that within my life time we move away from our dependence on fossil fuels especially with growing populations and new growth in world economies such as India and China.

I mean the US are currently going through a huge Oil & Gas boom due to fracking and shale gas which has boosted their economy and that is going to continue, where I'm currently working (Angola) their economy is based on oil & gas production & export much like the rest of West Africa, along with mining, as long as countries continue to rely on fossil fuels, not just for cars / power generation, but for economic growth there will be no solid change.
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I’m sorry but I don’t buy into the “peaceful” protest mantra at all.
Vandalism and deliberate disruption is not “peaceful” in my book.
If they defaced my house they would answer for it.

The moron on top of the train this morning looked very peaceful indeed - lashing out with his boots... imo he got what he deserved today!
Well maybe my experience of having Harris fence bolts, bricksscaffold poles and other items thrown at my head during 14 years of policing protests gives me a much better frame of reference as to what is a peaceful protest!

They wouldn't be defacing your house though would they, unless you're an oil magnate of some sort. XR are quite clear in their intentions to disrupt UK gov and industry they link to their self declared climate emergency
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
just seen the video he is the first to resort to 'violence' kicking out at the tube passenger

wonder if he was late for work
That's what I thought too, he Definately lashed out first
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

[QUOTE=bigbaggy;14129946]
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
40% of UK electricity is now renewable- mainly wind farm. That has to be a lot better than burning fossil fuel. I reckon in 10 years we will be almost 100% renewable for electricity.
Yes the lithium ion etc causes pollution on mining, but even with fossil fuel powered electricity, the electric car has been assessed as giving out half the emissions of a petrol car, in very credible studies, this is over lifespan including manufacture.
However, it's unlikely many Tesla batteries will end up in landfill- they are too valuable for rare metals etc even when spent (and no one has degraded one much yet, cars in US with 250k miles on have degraded 10% ish) and Tesla will also fit them in their powerwall systems which they sell, which have solar panels and basically store up electricity for your house.[/QUOTE

this is fake news sorry no way in 10 yrs will we be anyway near 100% renewable energy.
I would suggest you read my comment properly first, then research the matter.

Where did I say we will be 100% renewable energy? I said our electric will likely be around 100%. It is now heading for 50% . All of Eon's and many other suppliers such as Shell, Octopus etc are now 100% renewable.

This year the UK went over 100 hours making all its electricity from renewables alone. Scotland has said it will soon be making 100% of its electricity from renewables.

energylivenews/2019/...gh-renewables/

Do you know less than 10 years ago four-fifths of our electricity came from fossil fuels- it's now around 40%

theguardian/business...for-first-time

So to say in the next 10 years almost all the electricity will be from renewables is certainly realistic, and could be pessimistic.
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
Well maybe my experience of having Harris fence bolts, bricksscaffold poles and other items thrown at my head during 14 years of policing protests gives me a much better frame of reference as to what is a peaceful protest!

They wouldn't be defacing your house though would they, unless you're an oil magnate of some sort. XR are quite clear in their intentions to disrupt UK gov and industry they link to their self declared climate emergency
I consider their actions criminal, people who climb onto the top of trains (with total disregard to themselves and others ) in a potentially dangerous environment are, imo, complete morons.
Whilst I accept their concerns over climate change their actions are completely unacceptable!

Their protests aren’t peaceful irrespective of the lack of the “missiles” you described either.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I consider their actions criminal, people who climb onto the top of trains (with total disregard to themselves and others ) in a potentially dangerous environment are, imo, complete morons.
Whilst I accept their concerns over climate change their actions are completely unacceptable!

Their protests aren’t peaceful irrespective of the lack of the “missiles” you described either.
I'm not denying that their actions are criminal (a breach of section 14 POA for a start) but regardless of your opinion (of which you are entitled) these are regarded as peaceful protests and that's why a proportionate policing response has been in place for the past 12 days
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
I'm not denying that their actions are criminal (a breach of section 14 POA for a start) but regardless of your opinion (of which you are entitled) these are regarded as peaceful protests and that's why a proportionate policing response has been in place for the past 12 days
Which sadly takes away from already stretched police resources which could be utilised better elsewhere too. Criminal and irresponsible in my opinion.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by laurad107 View Post
Yeah because the guy was coming to pull him off the train into a braying mob.

He should’nt have been on the train but it doesn’t condone the behaviour of that mob
I'm not condoning the violence at all but he was the first to lash out its clear to see in the footage, if he hadn't been up there in first place there wouldn't have been a mob on the platform, its the people on that platform in general and people on low incomes that were on that platform that will have lost out financially cos of this going on today not being a le to get to work which is what the majority of people on that platform were, at 6.45am in morning I would've been more riled than I am just watching it on TV
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by laurad107 View Post
Quite a number of the protesters appear to be retired.
That's actually worse.
Retired English teacher 75, retired lecturer 83, both had their lives, raised their families, now collecting their pensions.
Both stopping ordinary workers from earning a living, and feeding their families.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
That's actually worse.
Retired English teacher 75, retired lecturer 83, both had their lives, raised their families, now collecting their pensions.
Both stopping ordinary workers from earning a living, and feeding their families.
not to mention being able to claim a £400 a week living allowance from XR