Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Feb 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Idiots guide to a new home

My offer has been accepted on a house, and completion is the 31st March, so soon. Although I’m not moving in till end of April beginning of May.

And to be quite honest I’m baffled. I have no idea what the hell im doing in regards to electricity and gas, internet, and whatever other housey things I need to sort out. I’ve a few people to help me but I’d like to know a bit about it myself too.

Can anyone give me a brief rundown or point me somewhere that can, I’ve googled but I’m still confused.

Thanks.
hexagon is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

When we moved last year, on the day we moved out we just called the electric and gas company. We called around about a month in advance and gave them the move out date.
As regards phone / BB, you have two options. You can do what's called a "home move" with your existing supplier. Then service will be switched over on a specific day.
Ig you want either a gap or not homes having service at the same time for a bit, then you need to cancel the old and get a new service at the new address (not necessarily the same supplier). This is what we did as we need service for a while at both houses.

You will need double insurance as well. Be careful of any conditions for non-occupancy for the house you aren't living in. Easiest may be to get a new policy on the new house and cancel the old when completion of the sale and you contractually dont own it.

Edited at 04:24 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
When we moved last year, on the day we moved out we just called the electric and gas company. We called around about a month in advance and gave them the move out date.
As regards phone / BB, you have two options. You can do what's called a "home move" with your existing supplier. Then service will be switched over on a specific day.
Ig you want either a gap or not homes having service at the same time for a bit, then you need to cancel the old and get a new service at the new address (not necessarily the same supplier). This is what we did as we need service for a while at both houses.

You will need double insurance as well. Be careful of any conditions for non-occupancy for the house you aren't living in. Easiest may be to get a new policy on the new house and cancel the old when completion of the sale and you contractually dont own it.
Thanks.

I’m moving out of my dads house, so no need to switch things between homes. All advice I find relates to switching things between homes.
hexagon is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by hexagon View Post
My offer has been accepted on a house, and completion is the 31st March, so soon. Although I’m not moving in till end of April beginning of May.

And to be quite honest I’m baffled. I have no idea what the hell im doing in regards to electricity and gas, internet, and whatever other housey things I need to sort out. I’ve a few people to help me but I’d like to know a bit about it myself too.

Can anyone give me a brief rundown or point me somewhere that can, I’ve googled but I’m still confused.

Thanks.
That is a very tight timeline. TO be honest I wouldn't be worrying about utilities just yet, I would focus on the conveyancing and deal with utilities and so on when you move in.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by hexagon View Post
Thanks.

I’m moving out of my dads house, so no need to switch things between homes. All advice I find relates to switching things between homes.
to be fair, the advice is pretty much the same.

You will need buildings insurance from the date of exchange of contracts (in your name) With regards utilities, contact the water company, let them know when you will be moving and arrange for your accounts to be created.
Select your preferred utility company and call them, explaining your completion date and then when arriving at the property record meter readings (preferably take photos with the meter serial nos) and do the same with your phone/internet company.

You will also need to register with your local council for council tax.

The most important thing is the buildings insurance as it will be a condition of your mortgage and getting your meter readings otherwise your accounts will be based on the readings provided by the previous readings, if they provide anything at all.

Oh and if you have them, make sure your car registration, insurance and your driving license address details are all updated
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
to be fair, the advice is pretty much the same.

You will need buildings insurance from the date of exchange of contracts (in your name) With regards utilities, contact the water company, let them know when you will be moving and arrange for your accounts to be created.
Select your preferred utility company and call them, explaining your completion date and then when arriving at the property record meter readings (preferably take photos with the meter serial nos) and do the same with your phone/internet company.

You will also need to register with your local council for council tax.

The most important thing is the buildings insurance as it will be a condition of your mortgage and getting your meter readings otherwise your accounts will be based on the readings provided by the previous readings, if they provide anything at all.

Oh and if you have them, make sure your car registration, insurance and your driving license address details are all updated

Thanks. Luckily I don’t have to do water as that’s in with the council tax.
Old 26 Feb 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Our son and his fiancée moved into their first house last year and they had a tight timeframe but they were fine. They found the website below very useful

moneysavingexpert/mo...use-checklist/

It’s really important to have your insurance in place as soon as you complete. Then your utilities need to be sorted, council tax, redirect mail, tv and broadband suppliers and home phone. It seems a long list but it’s quite straightforward, just tackle one at a time and work through. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new home. Our son was exhausted and stressed the month before he moved and the week he moved in but by the following weekend, he was enjoying relaxing in front of his tv on his comfy new sofa 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List