Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Aug 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

PISA Italy

After Florida, then Spain was cancelled, I am off to Pisa on Tuesday with 2 DDs, any dibbers been and what can you tell me about Pisa and the surrounding area.
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreamer
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Dreamer's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We flew into Pisa but didn't stay in Pisa so unfortunately can't tell you about Pisa itself. We stayed in a beautiful small village in the mountains about an hour's drive away.

From Pisa, it is easy to get the train to Florence which takes about an hour IIRC. Florence is lovely but my favourite is the medieval, walled city of Lucca which is about 12 miles away from Pisa and again accessible by public transport. Public transport in Italy is very cheap but can be slow.

Hope you have an amazing time, I so love Italy
Disney Dreamer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney Dreamer View Post
We flew into Pisa but didn't stay in Pisa so unfortunately can't tell you about Pisa itself. We stayed in a beautiful small village in the mountains about an hour's drive away.

From Pisa, it is easy to get the train to Florence which takes about an hour IIRC. Florence is lovely but my favourite is the medieval, walled city of Lucca which is about 12 miles away from Pisa and again accessible by public transport. Public transport in Italy is very cheap but can be slow.

Hope you have an amazing time, I so love Italy
We did it the other way round. Stayed in Pisa but got train into Florence. Train travel really is easy. We found eating out relatively cheap even eating in restaurants overlooking the Leaning Tower. Shops are lovely, lots of designer shopping. We love Italy. You’ll have an amazing time
Old 2 Aug 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

I only stopped there very briefly on a tour but it was beautiful. The leaning tower was a lot smaller than i expected, and leant more than i thought! Folk were not allowed to walk up it and they had wieghts on it to try to counter balance. This is about 26/7 years ago. Italy is a great country.
Old 2 Aug 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Book ahead if you want to go up the tower as on the day availability can’t be guaranteed. The souvenir stalls near McDonald just outside the main cathedral tower but are really cheap. My son bought a one foot tall replica of the tower for 10euro. Pens/magnets etc all 1euro,
Hire a Surrey bike and ride the walls of Lucca. FLORENCE, make sure you go up the hill the opposite side of the rover to the duomo, fantastic views of the city. Lovey part of italy!

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Where are you staying? I’ve been looking at Pisa too as can pick up cheap flights but struggling to find any accommodation I liked the look of!
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias

We are staying at Camping village Torre Pendente, its very near the centre and the tower etc. We would normally stay in a hotel / villa but my daughters did all the leg work on this one. Its a site where you can camp, bring your motor home in or do as we are and using one of the statics. We are staying in a "superior" 3 bed home, its got everything we need, as long as its clean it will be fine to sleep in for 4 nights. The reviews on trip advisor are generally good as well. Cost us £312.00 for the 4 nights.
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
We are staying at Camping village Torre Pendente, its very near the centre and the tower etc. We would normally stay in a hotel / villa but my daughters did all the leg work on this one. Its a site where you can camp, bring your motor home in or do as we are and using one of the statics. We are staying in a "superior" 3 bed home, its got everything we need, as long as its clean it will be fine to sleep in for 4 nights. The reviews on trip advisor are generally good as well. Cost us £312.00 for the 4 nights.
That is exactly the place I was looking at. Half the price and better reviews than the 5 star hotel in the same region on booking.com. Please report back on the pool situation and how busy it is - as it says they have quotas and I wonder if it’s just full you are turned away or if you get limited time slots. Have a wonderful time and please do report back. If Spain/Portugal for a private villa don’t open up this is my backup plan for end of the month. Thanks
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias

Hi Geordie Princess, no problem, I will report when I am back, if I get the chance I might update when I am there, Portugal is another favourite of ours also, hope you manage to get something sorted.
Old 4 Aug 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias

Mobile

I just want you all to know I’m not floating very much in Pisa in scorching heat when I believe, in the north (Cumbria) where I’m from, the weather is horrendous. If it’s any consolation, I’m going to have another cold glass of Chardonnay on the seating area outside our digs, ☀️🥂👍