Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 7 Dec 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I reported the green chicken to the food standards department in the local council. I sent photos, oh my days it was gross ! It wasn’t a green tinge it was luminous I have never seen anything like it !
I now either buy my meat in bulk to freeze from Bury Market which is really good quality. If I have to buy from a supermarket I go to Morrison’s because they own their own abattoirs and meat packing factories so can more easily trace their own meat supplies. I think they are the only supermarket that does this.

Edited to say I have just checked my emails and the council actually said it was due to a muscle wasting disease because these cheap chicken are kept inactive while they are growing. They did say it was harmless.

Something I would recommend from Aldi is the candy cane gin...delicious !

Edited at 11:17 PM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
personally there are a few things I still get in Tesco as don't like the aldi version.

meat is always from the butchers though as do not like prepacked supermarket meats
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I’ve never warmed to Aldi but I do quite like Lidl. There are some things I wouldn’t buy there but on the whole when I remember to go there, we’re generally quite impressed.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We shop in aldi- we dont eat a great deal of meat, usually just chicken which we always find it good quality.
I do agree with the veg though it is poor. We have now swapped to a fresh delivery of veg every week from a company called Riverford. Their Veg is amazing and lasts two weeks- it may last longer but we use it all by then!
I do like aldi though for canned goods etc
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I am really not a fan of Aldi either. I do buy some items but I no longer buy the meat after the incident when I sliced in to a chicken to find the meat bright green. ( due to too much growth hormone injected in to it) I was throwing away too much fruit and veg, the mackerel was hit and miss too. I have been buying my meat for the month from Bury Market and it is cheaper and far tastier and leaner. I do buy some non perishables from Aldi and fruit/ veg from Morrison’s. I do think with Aldi that some areas branches are better than others.
I really don’t like Lidl. I actually find it more expensive than Morrison’s and the branch near us is a bit scruffy.
Bury Market
I live in Bury and was just saying how we really should buy more from Bury's World Famous Market
Kids hate shopping so haven't had the chance to have a proper look round for years. Think I'm going to make it my New Years Resolution to buy my fruit and Veg from there. Also less plastic waste as they generally give you fruit and veg in paper bags
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
evaporated milk and corned beef? Is this a thread from the 70’s 😀😀😀
Love evaporated milk on strawberries and tinned fruit, pears. peaches and fruit salad and don't people still make corned beef hash? both are still relevant today surely.
DS favourite pud. was my mothers one of carnation milk whipped into jelly to make a mousse style dessert.

Edited at 09:36 PM.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I did a shop on Tuesday from Lidl, £56... I came home and price compared with Morrison’s, only cos my DH keeps saying that an online shop wouldn’t be much more... it was £75+ And then delivery on top... I can get to and from Lidl and do the shopping in 45 minutes...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List