Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Oct 20, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We have twice used Pickfords (albeit not for over 30 years when we last moved) but both times they were excellent. Came in one day and packed everything, even throwing my computer down the stairs (much to my horror) but was told anything which is packed properly can be thrown to a degree (and he was correct). First time the furniture had to go into store as the house was a new build from plan and that also worked well. Would use them again if we moved it is worth the cost and time.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Definitely use them for fragile pack and dismantling and reassembling furniture. We have had one move paid by Dh work where we moved 100 miles/2 hours away. That we did over a weekend, also had cleaners into both houses as had a young baby and dh had been working away, so we had the works!
Middle move we did ourselves - nightmare - even though done in a day and only 5 mins away.

This last one we had fragile pack and house cleared the day before and paid for an extra nights storage in the van in case completion was delayed. We stayed in a local hotel and cleaned the old house the next day before heading to our new one an hour away. We then got a chance to clean the new one before our furniture arrived next morning and had 2 nights in a local hotel to reflect on what we had done 😭

However a year on we are a lot more positive.

The packers we had were fab, labelled well, no breakages and nice guys who worked b****y hard! We found that giving them a floor plan of each house worked well along with coloured stickers to get stuff in right place!

Good luck!
Old 26 Oct 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

We paid for packers on our last house move (the one before that was rented into first home so we did that ourselves with a 2 week crossover).

Honestly it is worth every penny. We both work full time and paid the packers to do the whole house, with us doing the contents of the garage + garden. That was bad enough!

They come in typically the day before your move, pack and load most of your possessions (except your bed, and anything else you need that night kettle, overnight bag etc). They then come the next morning and pack those bits away.

That was the theory anyway, our guys underestimated how much we had and ended up still packing the day of the move which was quite stressful as we were right up to the wire, but I would 100% pay for packers again.

It basically means you live totally normally until 1 day before you move house, which is bliss.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post

We thought about it but then just decided we will do it ourselves.
Been quite easy , I pack a box or two every day and some stuff we packed already when we put the house on the market to “de clutter”
Packed up all our summer stuff and sorted the garage yesterday .
Just kitchen to do which we’ll do last and then loft but that’s half sorted anyway .
All the packed boxes are in the dining room so not in the way .
Removal men will come day before and load van and then finish up on move day with our mattresses as we have paid for them to dismantle and rebuild our beds as ours is a king bed with tv , dd’s is a mid sleeper and ds’ is an ottoman bed so this seemed like a good idea as dd’s bed was a nightmare to build !

Edited at 10:06 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We paid for packers once and it was superb. The house us totally normal until the day before and then they pack the entire house in 1 day. They pack literally everything so if you want to declutter you need to do that first.

We also had to emoty the loft ourselves. We just did that the day before the packers came and put it all in a bedroom.

I have done it both ways. It’s cheaper to pack yourself but definitely easier if they do it.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
So the ideal would be that they pack the day before the move?

I definitely want to clean all the rooms once empty on moving day, I’d be mortified if the new owners felt we’d left it uncleaned.

I also want to thoroughly clean the new house before any unpacking so don’t want them to do that.

I read that they won’t pack lofts and that you’d need to bring everything down beforehand so that they pack it. No idea where we’d put it all though, the main reason we’re moving is lack of space so as you can imagine the loft is rather full!

Yes , we would pack the day before and sometimes the day before that too ! , depending on size of move and distance travelling
Most if not all removal companies wont go in the loft at all for health and safety reasons ( removal company owner here )

On a personal note to storing in loft a few years ago we had a fire in the loft , we were lucky to put it out as the fire engines took about 20 mins to arrive . Had we had items stored in the loft I doubt we would have stood a chance ,
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
My parents did this ten years ago when they moved. All they had to pack was my mom's jewellery (she wouldn't trust anyone with it ) and one box of stuff they used last minute (kettle, couple of mugs, tea towel) and then drive to the new house.
I don't know what it cost them but they weren't short of money and the stress it saved them was fabulous. The packers packed every single thing properly and then unpacked the boxes and put everything where my parents wanted it. If you can afford it I would definitely have the service; just make sure you get a personal recommendation for a good company.
The only downside of it of course is that you don't get to declutter as you pack - they pack everything. I moved house last week and as I was packing I was discarding stuff left right and centre because I knew I would have nowhere to put it
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by lesley1960 View Post
Most if not all removal companies wont go in the loft at all for health and safety reasons ( removal company owner here )

Some friends of mine moved last year and seriously downsized but didn't declutter enough. Apparently at the new house they reached a point where the shifters said they didn't dare put any more stuff in the attic because it would bring down the ceilings below
I bet they will never again see that stuff
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We paid for packers once and it was superb. The house us totally normal until the day before and then they pack the entire house in 1 day. They pack literally everything so if you want to declutter you need to do that first.

We also had to emoty the loft ourselves. We just did that the day before the packers came and put it all in a bedroom.

I have done it both ways. It’s cheaper to pack yourself but definitely easier if they do it.
Exactly the same as Bev. I only did it as our twins were quite small and I couldn’t face the packing as it would have been left to me as dh was hectic with work. I packed my jewellery and my underwear in a holdall and just left it in the car so no one touched those things other than me! I would do it again, even though it was pricey. The guys made up the cots and put together the beds before they left and also a large IKEA unit I had at the time, which was great service.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

We’ve just moved house. The fee for packing up our 2 and a bit bed terrace was £395 plus VAT, but we decided to do it ourselves. Never again, it was hot, sweaty, stressful, I hurt my back etc etc... next time I’d gladly pay for the movers to pack everything.