Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 2 Oct 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Thanks sp much for your replies and delicious recipe suggestions. I must admit, I assumed the point of them was that they could be left all day until someone at work said they never go out and leave it on. I then went off to interrogate half the staff! I was surprised that opinion was so divided. I'm definitely going to get one. May even go out and get it this weekend as I've just been paid.
Old 2 Oct 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Slow cooker liners are brilliant as well. No more washing up.
I recently found these in a cheapo shop and they are definately the way forward cos no matter how much I love my slow cooker I don't like the crispy baked on bits you sometimes get spotwelded to the pot.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post

For your diet try this recipe... add a jug of cold water to the pot and switch on. When you get home you'll have a nice pot full of steaming, nourishing er... diet soup.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 05:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

[QUOTE=Universal VR;12874506 I must admit, I assumed the point of them was that they could be left all day until someone at work said they never go out and leave it on. [/QUOTE]

It is the point in a slow cooker. My husband had the same worries so I googled the energy usage. A slow cooker uses the same energy as a light bulb and as long as you leave it away from the dog it will be ok.

I have a timer as I’m often out longer 12 hours. May have to get it out of the cupboard now we are getting into winter.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Can I jump in and ask if anyone has tips for preventing my beef stew from tasting bitter?

I just use stewing steak, red onion, carrots, potatoes, peas and gravey made with oxo and bistro, I tried putting in Worcester sauce but I think it made it worse.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by chrisxal View Post
Can I jump in and ask if anyone has tips for preventing my beef stew from tasting bitter?

I just use stewing steak, red onion, carrots, potatoes, peas and gravey made with oxo and bistro, I tried putting in Worcester sauce but I think it made it worse.
Do you brown the stewing steak first? I find that helps .
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
globedust
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
Thanks sp much for your replies and delicious recipe suggestions. I must admit, I assumed the point of them was that they could be left all day until someone at work said they never go out and leave it on. I then went off to interrogate half the staff! I was surprised that opinion was so divided. I'm definitely going to get one. May even go out and get it this weekend as I've just been paid.
Can I recommend the Morphy Richards Digital Sear and Stew? I have had one 3 months and it’s changed my way of cooking totally. You can sear everything in the pot over the hob, which you could not in my old ceramic one. The pot is then dishwasher safe after you are done. It also has a timer (which you can alter) but starts at 4 hours for low, 6 for high and then it will keep your dinner warm for 2 hours after cooking. I regularly cook all sorts in in from chilli to pulled pork to roast chicken. It’s a great and inexpensive piece of kit. Can not recommend it enough!
globedust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

Always leave mine on when go to work or our and about over the weekend. Got a gammon joint in there as we speak
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney2010
Imagineer

Disney2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
We always leave ours on. We start it at around 7am before we leave the house & then arrive home around 5.30pm. Never had any problems

Zoe x
Old 3 Oct 17, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Smoosplace
Getting Excited

Mobile

What's your favourite recipe cooked in it?
Also the stews can be a bit watery so I add bisto when I get home to thicken for an hour.
Smoosplace is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List