Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 18 Oct 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Golden syrup lovers

Hi

Now I love golden syrup, always have. Love its stickiness, the smell, the yummy taste... you get the idea. Other than slathering it on crumpets, sneaky syrup butties... I have made 3 times now, the most amazing syrup cake. Found the recipe on pinterest and so many things can go wrong with recipes on line, they aren't all good! but omg... this one is. I just had to share. It makes a loaf tin cake, so not an overwhelmingly large cake, no decorating involved and its gorgeous. Great just cold but imo, even better if you slice a piece and pop it in the microwave for 40 seconds with a bit of custard on.. I promise you will thank me for sharing this... if you are a syrup lover!

Ingredients:
1 Egg
100g butter
50g soft brown sugar
50g caster sugar
200g golden syrup
2 tbsp golden syrup
200g self raising flour
150ml milk

I used one of those paper liners in my loaf tin, made it really easy and could keep it in it too.

Oven at 160c or a bit lower if fan or your oven is fierce.

Melt butter, 200g syrup and sugars in a pan, just so they melt together so don't get too hot. Set aside for 10 mins or so to cool a bit.

Beat egg and milk together.

Mix egg and milk into melted sugar/butter mixture, make sure not too hot so doesn't make scrambled egg. Sift in flour and mix on low until lump free, mine had a few little lumps but they vanished in cooking. The batter is really thin, don't panic!

Pour into the lined loaf tin and bake for about 45-50 mins. Leave to cool for 5 or so minutes in the tin, poke all over with a skewer and spread 2tbsp of syrup over the top.

Enjoy! I just wrap mine still in the liner in a piece of foil, it keeps great!

Let me know if you make it!

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Thanks for the recipe I'm definitely going to make it. I have golden syrup on my overnight oats, I bought a Lyles butterscotch golden syrup ( in the squeezy bottle ) in Aldi ages ago , it's delicious but have never seen it since anywhere 😞I bet that would have been nice in a cake 😜
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Will make a note of that Thankyou. I made a banana chocolate chunk loaf today that's a really easy cake nice slightly warm with a cuppa.
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post

My Dad will like this, will give it a go, thanks!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
Hi

Now I love golden syrup, always have. Love its stickiness, the smell, the yummy taste... you get the idea. Other than slathering it on crumpets, sneaky syrup butties... I have made 3 times now, the most amazing syrup cake. Found the recipe on pinterest and so many things can go wrong with recipes on line, they aren't all good! but omg... this one is. I just had to share. It makes a loaf tin cake, so not an overwhelmingly large cake, no decorating involved and its gorgeous. Great just cold but imo, even better if you slice a piece and pop it in the microwave for 40 seconds with a bit of custard on.. I promise you will thank me for sharing this... if you are a syrup lover!

Ingredients:
1 Egg
100g butter
50g soft brown sugar
50g caster sugar
200g golden syrup
2 tbsp golden syrup
200g self raising flour
150ml milk

I used one of those paper liners in my loaf tin, made it really easy and could keep it in it too.

Oven at 160c or a bit lower if fan or your oven is fierce.

Melt butter, 200g syrup and sugars in a pan, just so they melt together so don't get too hot. Set aside for 10 mins or so to cool a bit.

Beat egg and milk together.

Mix egg and milk into melted sugar/butter mixture, make sure not too hot so doesn't make scrambled egg. Sift in flour and mix on low until lump free, mine had a few little lumps but they vanished in cooking. The batter is really thin, don't panic!

Pour into the lined loaf tin and bake for about 45-50 mins. Leave to cool for 5 or so minutes in the tin, poke all over with a skewer and spread 2tbsp of syrup over the top.

Enjoy! I just wrap mine still in the liner in a piece of foil, it keeps great!

Let me know if you make it!
What size loaf tin do you use ?
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

It's sssooo good. I was actually eating the last bit when I jumped up to get my netbook to post it! Dh thought I'd gone mad lol. Xx I love pinterest for recipes you find blogs you'd never come across otherwise. Just not all stuff is as good as it looks. Also made some syrup oat cookies that were amazing too. Another keeper.. X

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Think a 2lb it was only £1 in poundland. I use the jane Asher paper liners they sell, they are the right size.

Edited at 07:57 PM.
Old 18 Oct 17, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Will make a note of that Thankyou. I made a banana chocolate chunk loaf today that's a really easy cake nice slightly warm with a cuppa.
Oooh ,can you please post,the recipe,for this as well please,as it also sounds yummy.only if you have time though
Feel a spot of baking,coming on.
Tracy x
Old 18 Oct 17, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
Think a 2lb it was only £1 in poundland. I use the jane Asher paper liners they sell, they are the right size.
Thank you , going to give it a go tomorrow , I'm supposed to be laying off cake but you have tempted me
Old 18 Oct 17, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Banana chocolate chunk loaf: