Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 22 Oct 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Made a Chilli tonight from scratch😳Tesco recipe, Hubbie didn’t like it, bland & bit watery ,moaned as it had oxo cube in, said it tasted just like mincemeat
Had a google & he wants to try Lloyd Grosman Chilli, he’s so fussy, I like the new recipe
Maybe that’s it. My hubby moans about dinners constantly that one day I will throw the plate at his head.

The pie,peas and gravy were fine but the chips we’re slightly crispy. Everyone ate them but they all moaned. Apparently it wasn’t an acceptable dinner.

I have got an instant pot and do a few stuff in there but my dinners are so hit and miss
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Maybe that’s it. My hubby moans about dinners constantly that one day I will throw the plate at his head.

The pie,peas and gravy were fine but the chips we’re slightly crispy. Everyone ate them but they all moaned. Apparently it wasn’t an acceptable dinner.

I have got an instant pot and do a few stuff in there but my dinners are so hit and miss
It would be the last meal I ever cooked for him if my OH (or anyone else for that matter) was to moan.

In our house we are all adults and cook our own meals. We all work full time and its most certainly not my job to cook for everyone.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post

He'd be wearing it.
Old 22 Oct 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Delia Smith! Honestly she can teach anyone to cook. I bought the book for DH years ago and for a while he produced the most amazing meals. Only when he felt like it but better than nothing.
DH reckoned if you followed the recipe it was a guaranteed success. Not everything is difficult there are some easier things to make.
Feebee2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Evening meals are such a pain! I am sick of asking my lot what they want for dinners but they never have any suggestions.
I do have a slow cooker but never use it because no one likes stews anymore. 2 don’t like curry, 2 don’t like mince, no one will have frozen food apart from frozen peas (or ice cream)
To make it worse my youngest can’t eat fruit or root veg and my eldest is type 1 diabetic. My husband and middle son’s body is a temple (training etc)
It feels like we have the same thing week in week out.
Plus we never, ever eat take always!
So we have;
Roast chicken dinner
Spinach & ricotta tortellini & sauce
Chicken breast stuffed with cheese & wrapped in bacon served with rice or risotto & veg
Chicken, bacon& avacardo salad with crust bread
Chicken enchiladas
‘Publix’ stolen idea from publix, sounds gross but really nice and we usually have this as a laid back dinner on Saturday with treats for afters & a movie (large baguettes with mayonnaise, cheese & deli meat usually ham, turkey & beef, lettuce & tomatoes served with fancy crisp - current favourite is sensations sweet chilly
Bacon BLT’s (just bacon sandwiches for the youngest)
Home made cheese & tomato pizza
Tuna pasta salad (cooled pasta, tuna, salad cream because my daughter won’t eat mayo, chopped tomatoes, cucumber & sweet corn)

They have to be quick & easy during the week because my daughter is at dance every night and my middle son trains every night apart from Wednesdays. So it’s mad busy, in & out.

I would love home comfort food like chilly, cottage pie, beef stew & dumplings etc but no one will eat it 😡

We eat far too much bacon, it’s so naughty but so nice!
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

I hate cooking. My children are so fussy. They hate everything. No one likes the same food. I don’t eat much meat, so mostly eat vegetarian food or toast! My husband works weird shifts so rarely eats with us or has cereal at dinner time! It’s like a really rubbish cafe. Daughters autistic so everything has to be a certain way. Stuck in a good rut! I love food, I love eating out I just hate cooking.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would put in the pie, when it’s nearly done I would fry chips and microwave some peas. It’s easy and cooked in a hour. While the pies in you have time to yourself, put out plates, cutlery, salt and pepper. I am great at making easy meals! I made Pasta Carbonara yesterday for myself and dd, I couldn’t believe how easy it was.
Old 22 Oct 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

I love to cook and take over mother's kitchen too - least I can do as she won't let me help with our infirm da's needs. Not a chance will I cook fast/frozen/processed foods, pies, pizza, chips; fresh veg only plus whatever meat/fish I choose. All like tasty food with masses of veg. When making my slo-cooked chicken broth I have to make enough for the whole family plus bro's clinic staff! Served with crispy stuffing and home made lemon pepper croutons. I'll be buying a pumpkin this week to make roast pumpkin soup, that is my favourite home made soup.

Same occurs when we're in Fl, very rarely eat out, generally we don't enjoy restaurant meals, I prepare far better food without the need for fat/oil, no need to tip me either I'm oft asked how we manage to afford our winters on Bokeelia, because we live to our needs, including home prepared food. Make big shrimp salads for lunch [home prepared lemon and black pepper, off the boat, shrimp from the islands best shrimper], plus freshly prepared fruit. Yum, yum, love it!
Old 22 Oct 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

You’re best off having a menu you can rotate - 6 days if you have a takeaway.
Here’s some easy stuff
Jacket potatoes with cheese / beans / tuna / salad
Chicken nugget wraps with salad
Pasta with chicken/ bacon/ mushrooms and sauce
Stir fry with rice (buy pre chopped veg and a sauce)
Soup (tinned, fresh) and crusty rolls
Sausage mash and veg (buy mash if you need to)
Omelette/ beans
Tagliatelle chicken sauce

Just keep it simple and buy sauces etc if you can’t make em- the tomato ones are healthier but still have added sugar - but better than takeaways x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

I love cooking from scratch, I find it really relaxing and thankfully I am good at it. I just wish that I had more time to fit it in.

I use my slow cooker a lot and have started to batch cook.

I am always happy to help Dibbers with any cooking questions etc.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List