Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 23 Jan 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

We stay on the Gulf Coast 3 times a year for the last 10 years; affected by red tide once in Sept ‘18.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Red Tide was awful in August 2018. I don't suffer from Asthma but I really struggled with the smell/gasses at Anna Maria Island. As soon as we got anywhere near the beach we were coughing!
Sorry to hear about that, it sounds awful. Just hoping that it doesn't appear this year...
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I've never seen drunks on any of the many Gulf Coast beaches we've been to - the most 'lively' place we have been was Clearwater. We're not really a fan of Clearwater beach near the pier (though many are! ) so we tend to go elsewhere if time allows.

We've only experienced Red Tide once, luckily, and it was October 2018.

I didn't recognise it at first - firstly it wasn't really red or reddish at all in colour , it just looked like normal seaweed type stuff .
Also, we were on the East Coast, above Fort Lauderdale, so didn't expect to see it there either as I'd seen reports mainly from Gulf side -
but wow did it sting your chest to breathe!
and made you cough constantly just standing on the beach.
There were a few folk in the water actually! but as soon as I twigged what it was we went away from the beach.
On that holiday we stayed on the East Coast then later on the Gulf, at Fort Myers Beach. There was no sight of it there during our stay It comes and goes, and there are regular updates on the local news channels to keep you informed

Edited at 02:56 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

We were at Marco Island, Naples and Clearwater last week and no sign of the tide. Marco island is so nice! But clearwater has to be my favourite i would say
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CarsonMac View Post
We were at Marco Island, Naples and Clearwater last week and no sign of the tide. Marco island is so nice! But clearwater has to be my favourite i would say
Marco Island is my all time favourite place on the whole of the Gulf Coast! I dream about that place!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

As others have said very bad Red tide around AMI in August 2018 the only time I have encountered it. Never seen drunkenness on a beach in fact we always remark how the signs they put up for the nesting turtles are never touched.
Years ago we were out late in Bradenton and passing a bar where a group of rowdy 20 somethings came out I gripped my wifes hand tighter as if this was in Ireland I would have been slightly doubtful of such a groups intentions ...as we walked by each one said " Good night sir Good night Mam"
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
Have a look at Anna Maria Island, it is a bit further, but stunning and very quiet, especially the north of the island. There are no large hotels etc there, just condos and small 10-20 apartment type rentals.

We stayed at the one below before and will again. It ain't luxury, but it is decent enough, nice staff and most importantly a fantastic location.

sunrisegardenresort/
I’ll second Anna Maria Island, I’ve been a couple of times and always found it to be very peaceful, no large crowds and definitely no drunken youths.
Budmiester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

We always go to the Gulf Coast area and never had any problems. We stay around Treasure Island or Indian Rocks and there has been no decline in our opinion.
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Check out Bradenton for slightly cheaper accommodation than AMI itself. We've booked most of our accommodation through Expedia (28 nights, 8 different places) and it's all cancellable a few days beforehand. We've sometimesxpaidca small premium for this, but worth it fir the peace of mind that if there's a huge problem with red tide, we will just relocate.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
July 18 red tide spoiled our visit, August 16 we had a hurricane. Florida beaches and us just don’t seem to mix well, but the times we have spent on the beach have been lovely. I would go back if I could guarantee no red tide, we went to Kefalonia last year to have lovely beach time. We have never encountered any drunks on the beaches ever.