Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 26 Jan 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Nazzer
Excited about Disney

Mobile Swimming with Manatees Crystal river

Hi, we go in august. The last 3 weeks. We're looking at the Manatees experience in crystal river. Has anyone any recommendations or hints tips? Is it good time of year for Manatees? Thank you
Nazzer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

We went at a similar time of year last year - it's the off season for manatees but we still saw about 6 including mums and their calves.

I'd advise going early morning - which means an early drive out- but it's an easy drive.

We went with fun2dive and they were great.

It was an amazing experience. I was the last out of the water as I loved it so much
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue F
Imagineer

Sue F's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Really fancy doing this and maybe staying up there the night before. Anyone got any Hotel recommendations for Crystal River?
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sue F View Post
Really fancy doing this and maybe staying up there the night before. Anyone got any Hotel recommendations for Crystal River?
We did this a couple of years ago but we just drove out from Orlando the same morning - was an easy drive - we thought Crystal River itself looked a bit rough - not sure if Id really want to stay there
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
We did this a couple of years ago but we just drove out from Orlando the same morning - was an easy drive - we thought Crystal River itself looked a bit rough - not sure if Id really want to stay there
We were there last year and I don't think it looked at all rough so maybe it's changed ? I wouldn't have minded staying there and we visited a little bakery / craft shop after our swim - was lovely - Amy's on the avenue

Edited at 10:01 PM.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

We were in Crystal River this new year , I wouldnt say it was rough , we stayed in an AirBNB place , its just a typical Florida town ...one fast road road through and a few restaurants off it and the 'Historic Old Town ' for the tourists
We didn't swim with the manatees ( not sure I am comfortable with wildlife interaction ) we saw loads , but that is because the water is warm and they need it in the winter . Not sure their will be any there in August though , they should be out in the gulf
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Reunion
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
we visited a little bakery / craft shop after our swim - was lovely - Amy's on the avenue
We went there too - i'ts lovely.

We've visited in early September and per the post above, although it is not peak manatee season we did see a few. We booked a private tour with Fun2Dive both times (the second was in November when we saw a lot more). It's a great day out - for our August trip we just left early in the morning and booked the earliest available time (which I think was 8am).
Reunion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List