Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Aug 07, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
florifan
Imagineer

florifan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Flying and the larger lady

You may remember me posting several months ago about my friend who is size 30-32 and is flying to spain on holiday and worried about fitting in the seatbelt on the plane, well the time has come round and she goes next week, she is flying with jet2 and hasn't really managed to lose any weight as she had hoped

I have said to her she may need a seatbelt extension (tactfully) but not to worry about it as it's just one of those things and no-one will notice etc.. but now she is worried what if they say she is too big to fly at all and kick her off the plane, I said of course not you'll be fine, but would hate for her to face this humiliation

The rest of her party are all slim and include small children so once airbourne she will be able to spread out no probs and it's not a long flight only a couple of hrs, do you think she will be OK, it is her family's first holiday in 10-15 years abroad because of this fear she has and I don't want it to be spoilt for her - any ideas?
Old 7 Aug 07, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Yes, she will be absolutely fine. She may be uncomfortable but they definitely won't tell her she can't fly. Once she is in the air, if she can raise the armrests and sit next to the kids she should be more comfortable but the armrests have to be down for take-off.

I needed an extension when I was pregnant, and they didn't make any fuss at all, just handed it to me and asked me quietly if I knew how to use it.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 07, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
florifan
Imagineer

florifan's Reviews
Thanks Bev - I just had this dread of them saying she had to get off and her blaming me cos I'd told her she would be OK.
Old 7 Aug 07, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post

A have a colleague who is a similar size and had the same fear. She hadn't flown for many years because of her size but did so at Easter. Coincidentally she flew with Jet2 to Mallorca. On her return I asked if she's managed OK and she said she was fine. Yes she needed an extension but asked for this discreetly as she boarded the flight.

Kitty
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 07, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
florifan
Imagineer

florifan's Reviews
Thats great Kitty kat, especially being the same airline, sounds like it will be fine then - thanks
Old 7 Aug 07, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah & Andy
Imagineer

I am a size 18 and it worried me sick about my size on the plane, and there was nothing to worry about. I really feel for your friend

June 2007 - POR, Oct & Nov 08 - Three weeks of POR, Feb 2011 - Winners of Money can't buy VIP competition Grand Floridian, Aug 2011 - 3 weeks AKL CL & POR, Aug 2012 3 weeks POR, Aug 2013 AK CL, Disney Dream & POR, Aug 2015 SSR and engaged, Aug 2016 Disney Magic, Aug 2017 AKL CL and OKW and our Disney Wedding
Sarah & Andy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 07, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post

I am the same size as your friend and although she probably will not be comfortable, it will be fine. They are very discreet with the extender and if the table does not come down properly (it does not with me) you can share your neighbours (DH in my case!).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 07, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
kallen
Excited about Disney

I felt so sorry for the guy that they sat next to me on a first choice flight to benidorm in feb. He was rather a large gentleman and had requested an aisle seat for ease so they gave him the one on row 3 with us. He tried to fasten the seatbelt but there was no way it would reach so he asked a member of the cabin crew and her answer was " to sit in this seat the seat belt must fasten or you'll have to move" there was no mention of extensions and she then dragged him up and down the plane looking for someone to swap as the flight was full. I was embarrassed for him and couldn't see the point of moving him as it would be the same problem wherever he sat. If there was a point to it they should have known at check in and not allocated him that seat as it just ended up humiliating him.
kallen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 07, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
kallen, was it possibly an emergency exit row? There are strict rules about who can sit near the emergency exit.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 07, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

I am a large lady too and have flown PE or sunshine first lately so have been ok. We are flying with Monarch soon in economy and I'm terrified I wont fit in the seat. Don't even mind being uncomfortable as long as I can get there. Monarch seats are notorious for being small. I'm so worried. Hope your friend is ok.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread