Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Jul 09, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

Spending Money advice for Barcelona

DH and I are going to Barcelona for a week in September. Does anybody have a recommendation for how much money we would need to take with us? We plan to use the metro for transportation, visit the major sights and eat reasonably cheaply. I was guessing 100 Euro a day should cover us?

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 09, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

Just make sure you look after your money while you are there.
Pick pocketing is unbelievably rife in Barcelona, especially on public transport.
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 09, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree about the pick pockets, their everywhere, we've even had police men telling us to wear our bags over our body and keep our hand on the zip, they said that the pick pockets carry a small knife to cut the strap! We have been a few times as we used to stay in Gerona which is only about 50 minutes away by car, Barcelona is a fab city, can be a little expensive, but $100 a day should be ok for the 2 of you! My Mum and Dad have been 20+ times and we've been 4 times and have never been pick pocketed though, so don't worry to much, just be aware that it does go on! X.X
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 09, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

We are going over there in Aug (staying on coast somewhere near Lloret but nice and quiet! )
Want to go to Barcelona while we are there but really worried as the warnings are soooo true!
Went with work a few years ago and oe of the girls we were wirh got oushed to the ground and her bag snatched and we had an attempted bag snatch in the hotel bar of all places!
Please be so careful, its a horrible experience and I am going to be so wary while we are there. It is a beautiful city and so much to see. We went on the bus tour and saw some lovely sites just keep your money hidden and try not to look too obvious!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 09, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I think 100 E a day will be plenty, esp if your wanting to eat cheaply. The restaurants on Las Ramblas aren't that expensive really so dont be scared to eat there.

As for the pick pockets i just think if you keep your wits about you , as you would at home you'll be fine. I've been about 6 times with the lads for the football as well as with family and no one ever had a problem.
Old 7 Jul 09, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mmorrice
Apprentice Imagineer

Have to agree about pick pockets. I went went with two friends a few years ago, and despite having been well warned, had my purse very neatly taken from my bag within 3 mins of getting off the bus. Fortunately, a local man saw what had happened, pointed the girls out to us and after we cornered them in a shop, they returned the purse as they found it. Probably not our finest hour but at least shows the locals are not all bad! Its a shame because other than that, we really liked Barcelona! No more expensive than any other major city.
mmorrice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 09, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post

100 Euros a day will be comfortable. Don't forget to visit the beach.

Great city, I go regularly for the football, although I got pick pocketed on the metro on the way to a game though in 2007, didn't even realise it had happened until I went to get off and saw my wallet on the floor of the carriage. Incredible, as I always swore I'd know if someone did this to me. Be careful!
Old 10 Jul 09, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Darwen Bird
Imagineer

Unfortunately Barcelona is the only city I have had problems (and I've been to plenty of places with bed reputations for crime) - I was pickpocketed there, and more frightening I was nearly mugged at a Metro station.

In fact my advice would be to avoid the metro all together. I was with my then OH and we were about to board a train, it wasn't busy but two guys got inbetween me and OH - one of them then tried to block me getting on, and started pushing me back through the doors onto the empty platform. I'm not a quiet soul and started making a big noise, and the two men jumped off the train just as the doors were closing. Apparently is a fairly common technique to seperate people making sure one of them is left on the empty platform so they can easily be robbed.

Other than that I actually had a great time in Barcelona, there is just so much to see.
Darwen Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 09, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
mr&mrslightyear
Imagineer

mr&mrslightyear's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I loved every minite of barcelona, most people get pick pocketed on la ramblers I made sure my wife had the purse in the zippy bit of her inside pocket in her bag, an she carried it on her front. Street mimes and games on la rambles (such as 3 cups and u bet 5 euros on were u think ball is) are 1. A hustle an 2. A way to keep u still while there friend takes everyones wallets/purses! We avoided that an were fine, we did the city part in a day and was exausted but it was beautiful, don't forget where. La rambles finishes if u carry on up that street almost too avinue diagonal there is a special effects museum thays worth a look 30min to walk round so not loads but enjoyable! And there's lots of high end designer shops(thank god I didn't take my credit card my wife wood habe got me buying her a 3000 pound jimmy choo bag- u have been warned) : ).
Posted via Mobile Device
mr&mrslightyear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 09, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

Thanks guys. I am aware of the pickpocket problem and have bought a money belt that I can wear under my clothes. DH doesn't carry his money in a wallet anyway and when on holiday, I tend to have all the money (!). I won't be carrying large amounts of money on me and plan to have some money, credit card, metro tickets and ID in the money belt, so I don't have to open my cross-body bag to access any of these things.

Thanks again for all the advice.

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread